Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 03:24:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
106 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:24:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming in from the cold  (Read 3377 times)
16bob9

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2007, 06:03:19 am »

I have been a frequent visitor to this site over the last 4 months and have decided to come in from the cold and participate. Many of my ideas for a byt have been learned and confirmed by numerous members. It is a terrific resource. Thank you.

Screen I - BOC, approx 16 x 9 using (2) 54" pieces sewn together. The seam is unnoticeable and the pictrue is great. Unfortunately, the grommets along the perimeter are pulling out and/or stretching. This lead to a catch 22 scenario. I felt that I couldn't break down the screen for fear of doing more damage. The screen has been up on the frame and exposed to the weather (NJ) for 1 month. I guess it is holding up well given the circumstances.

Frame I - 1 1/4" PVC pipe glued in 4' sections. This was done for ease of storage but see above. The frame is on 3 1/2' long foot legs to allow for good viewing beyond the front row. The frame is then strapped to the side of a 4' post and rail fence. I have not needed any guy wires and the system works very well.

Projector I - Epson Moviemate 30s. This is a very simple to use system and I have no problem with picture quality.

Sound I - The Epson has built in speakers which are fine for small groups. The sound needs to be enhanced. Since the Movie mate offers an optical audio output, I purchased a Sony HTiB ($179) to add to the system. I replaced the 2 front speakers with Polk Atrium 45's that I found on ebay for $119 a pair. I now use the Sony for surround with the Moviemate speakers for added sound. It all works fairly well.

Screen II - I purchased 16' x 9',  110" wide BOC  from Carlofet. Smooth transaction no problems. I also found 2" wide seat belt webbing on ebay very inexpensive at $3.75/ 25 feet. I purchased 75' of charcoal/black as one continuous piece. As I write this,  my dry cleaner is sewing the webbing along the perimeter of the BOC. I will then add grommets and loops without fear of  them pulling out. This should allow me to breakdown the screen after every showing. The webbing will provide a nice framing effect as well as added strength.

Frame II - The only problem with the current frame is that the pvc "cross" connectors that are behind the screen, create bumps. Of course, I am the only one that notices and it is having no effect on picture quality but ... I wonder...  I am thinking of building a truss/ladder type frame using 3/4" pvc with "T" or "+" connectors every 2 or 3 feet for rigidity. The frame would be hung on (2) vertical pieces of EMT that are held in 2 speaker stands.

Sound II - I really like the Atrium 45's. Could I use an additional one for a center channel ? Suggestions ?

Setup - All of the a/v equipment is dedicated to the byt. It all fits nicely in a 24 gal. Stanley Mobile job chest that I can roll into the backyard.

I will get pictures posted as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Thanks to everyone who has helped. You know who you are.
JJ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:37:35 am »

Welcome! Sounds like you have a nice set-up. We can't wait to see the pictures. Those "bumps" can be addressed by putting an angle out of the top and bottom T's and adding a 45 at the top and bottom with a 2-3" piece glued to the 45 or the T. That way your center supports do not touch the screen.

------
                      /
                      l
                      l
                      l
                      \
                       ------
side view...I know bad diagram.
kelemvor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:07:00 am »

Good call on the seatbelt fabric.  I don't think the BOX is strong enough to support grommets by itself.  When I built mine, I took a scrap piece, folded it over once or twice and pounded a grommet in just to see what would happen. As I pulled on it, I just wasn't satisfied with the strength.  SO I went with the Loop method where I slide the poles into loops in the screen and it works out great.

I'm sure seatbelt fabric won't have any problem holding grommets for you but just make sure the sewing is done well.  Probably a couple rows of stitches for extra strength and you're good to go.

Other thing is how do you attach the grommets to the frame?  Bungie cords or something similar?  If the cords go up the front of the screen and wrap around and have something in the back to attach to, that should pull the fabric in line with the front face of the screen which should reduce the bumps from the cross pieces.  But if the cords go over the frame and attach back to the fabric, then the fabric would be more inline with the center of the frame and would make the bumps more noticeable.  Just a though.

tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:07:06 am »

Welcome!

Sounds like you are a true DIYer! I hadn't had any problems with bumps showing through, but I used the pocket method. Please let us know how the seat belt fabric works out. I think that when I have to make some changes, I'm going with wide velcro on two sides.

Looks like you've got a great start.

Good luck,
Tom
16bob9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 08:10:00 am »

Thanks for the welcome. I had the same idea about 2 hours ACD (after cement dried). It's a great tip.

Welcome! Sounds like you have a nice set-up. We can't wait to see the pictures. Those "bumps" can be addressed by putting an angle out of the top and bottom T's and adding a 45 at the top and bottom with a 2-3" piece glued to the 45 or the T. That way your center supports do not touch the screen.

------
                      /
                      l
                      l
                      l
                      \
                       ------
side view...I know bad diagram.
16bob9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 08:18:21 am »

I use bungie balls to hold the screen to the frame.  Right now the cords go through the grommet and then over the pipe which leads to the bumps in the middle. That's a great point. Thanks.Depending on how the new screen looks with the webbing, I may go with loops on 2 sides and grommets/bungie on the opposing sides for tension.

Other thing is how do you attach the grommets to the frame?  Bungie cords or something similar?  If the cords go up the front of the screen and wrap around and have something in the back to attach to, that should pull the fabric in line with the front face of the screen which should reduce the bumps from the cross pieces.  But if the cords go over the frame and attach back to the fabric, then the fabric would be more inline with the center of the frame and would make the bumps more noticeable.  Just a though.
[/quote]
16bob9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 08:25:11 am »

Thanks. I will keep you posted on the seat belt fabric. I should get the screen back on Saturday.

Welcome!

Sounds like you are a true DIYer! I hadn't had any problems with bumps showing through, but I used the pocket method. Please let us know how the seat belt fabric works out. I think that when I have to make some changes, I'm going with wide velcro on two sides.

Looks like you've got a great start.

Good luck,
Tom

[/quote]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: