Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 08:02:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
94 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 08:02:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally finished. What do you think?  (Read 137936 times)
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 10:48:53 am »

Very cool screen. I especially like the fact that you can fold it and store it by the side of the garage with minimal seams (one horizontal line across the screen instead multiple vertical lines)

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
DigiMark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 09:43:42 am »

rrg -- I was worried that the HOA would kill me for having two semi-permanent 13' posts sticking out of the ground, so I figured posting the lights up there would provide some cover. The light is so weak (being solar LEDs) that they don't interfere with the movie (your eyes don't notice them vs. the image). They are pretty neat floating up there in the dark when you look out the window though.

I'm not sure the Cable-Safe strips would work across grass, but its the right idea.

Victor -- I'm proud of this but there is no seam in the middle -- the hinge is on the other side and the Trapeze material spans over both halves of the frame, so when it is deployed it is one flat seamless surface.

A few more questions for everyone please:

1. For those who are using Trapeze (or in my case a sandwich of Trapeze and Dazian blackout cloth) -- what happens to the material if it inadvertantly gets caught in a squall and gets wet? Will it dry OK without long term damage?

(Insecurities showing in the next two points)

2. How often do you show movies without grating on your friends' and families' nerves? I don't want this to be a one-time thing, but I'm worried if we do this too often it will wear on people who have other things to do. Also, with weather being capricious around here, even if we schedule once a month there's no guarantee that the weather won't ruin each attempt. How often do you guys do this? Given the work to set it up, how many people have to come over to justify the effort?

3. Nachos and popcorn are easy to do, but I shouldn't feel compelled to feed everyone full meals when we host a movie night, yes?

Randy -- I've attached a picture if you want to put it into your gallery of screens, thanks.

-Gary

* feature.jpg (147.71 KB, 1336x880 - viewed 785 times.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 09:50:44 am by DigiMark » Logged

rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 10:28:34 am »

I donít know how their blackout cloth will handle weather, but I put my Trapeze screen up in the spring and take it down in the fall.  Itís probably not recommended but mine gets rained on all the time.  So I wouldnít be too concerned about the Trapeze getting wet now and then.  But I donít know about the blackout cloth.  I had a situation once where some apparently ill big bird flew by and splashed the screen.  I lowered it, hosed it off and amazingly it didnít leave a spot.  Then once, I threw the whole thing in the washer and it looked like brand new.

We donít do the big showings much anymore.  We did the first few years but now itís just become more of a normal way to watch movies in the summer.  Sometimes itís just my wife and I.  Sometimes we decide to watch a movie outdoors and call a couple people last minute.  Weíll have a big graduation party here next weekend and everyone asks if weíll have a movie.  Which we will.  It just sort of works out like that.  Iíll also make a slide show of our son over the years and weíll show that.

Once school is out weíll watch more movies outdoors.  Generally 3-4/month.  We run into friends at various places and just schedule something.  Itís not a big production for us now Ė more casual.  But still a lot of fun!!

Weíve generally done the pot-luck thing if weíre having a big crowd and starting early.  But now I seldom get the popcorn machine out unless weíre having guests outside our family.  We just make it in a pan in the kitchen.

I remember that a few years ago I thought I was burning people out.  Weíd occasionally call and someone couldnít come.  But itís just that everyone is busy or simply wants to relax at home.  So either they come or they donít.  We pass on a lot of things too.  Itís just part of this busy period in life, I think.

The screen looks great Gary!!  Do you have another thread in here with more photos and detail that I could link your photo to? 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 10:30:15 am by rfisk » Logged

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 10:48:56 am »

The screen looks great and I, too, like the "disguise" of the solar lights.

You guys are also making me rethink my screen material. The canvas gives a very nice picture, but it's pretty fragile. I'm going to look into Dazian.

Regarding burnout, my experience matches Randy's. People will come if they're invited, they don't have something conflicting and they want to see the film. If one of those doesn't work for them, they'll stay home (or go to the concert or whatever). You can't please everyone every time. We invite 70 or 80 people (friends, neighbors, coworkers) and generalliy get 25-30 at a show. That's a full house on our driveway, though, so it works out fine.

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
rrg

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 01:29:13 pm »

How many times. About every 4 to 6 weeks in the summer time for large groups and sometimes more often if we do an xbox game night for only kids.

The parents are starting to let the kids come over for the night.

In the fall we have more all guys nights for those cool football night games. It's more of a tailgate party.

In order to keep the neighbors happy I use small computer speakers on a table to keep it more quiet during the xbox nights or smaller groups with 6 people. Like someone said here a few times, it's about the outside screen that makes it cool.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 10:39:54 am by rrg » Logged

MY SETUP| Screen: Regular Trapeze  - Frame: 10'x20' EMT stand - Projector: BenQ mp720p - DVD: LG 511 - Sound: 5.1 Yamaha Reciever
Cinema BBQ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 10:46:58 am »

Gary,

That's a nice set up. Your frame looks sweet. You put alot of thought and it shows.

Have a great summe!

Cinema BBQ -Kevin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: