Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 10:09:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
106 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 10:09:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: noob needs screen size/projector help  (Read 3193 times)
40-Dan

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:16:32 am »

Hello everyone!

I want to show an outdoor movie for my daughter's upcoming birthday.  I have everything except for the screen (and I can build one of those).  The problem is, I've got about a 45 foot throw from my desired screen location to my desired projector location.  I seriously doubt that the projector I have (typical business class unit) is going to go that far.  If not, I'll have to find one to rent.

My questions are:

1)  Am I kidding myself with that class of projector?

2)  Assuming I can rent a projector that will do that distance, what size screen should I be looking at building?

3)  Any recommendations for a projector rental place in the Atlanta area?

Thanks for any and all help.

Dan
cecilb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:41:57 am »

Hello everyone!

I want to show an outdoor movie for my daughter's upcoming birthday.  I have everything except for the screen (and I can build one of those).  The problem is, I've got about a 45 foot throw from my desired screen location to my desired projector location.  I seriously doubt that the projector I have (typical business class unit) is going to go that far.  If not, I'll have to find one to rent.

My questions are:

1)  Am I kidding myself with that class of projector?

2)  Assuming I can rent a projector that will do that distance, what size screen should I be looking at building?

3)  Any recommendations for a projector rental place in the Atlanta area?

Thanks for any and all help.

Dan

Hi Dan, welcome! Just out of curiousity, why do you have to have a 45' throw?

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
40-Dan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:08:17 am »

Best placement logistically is to have the screen on the far side of the pool from my house with the projector shooting from the 2nd story deck.  This accomplishes a couple of things.  First and foremost, it keeps all sensitive electronics (except the speakers) FAR away from the water.  Second, it will allow the kids to stay in the pool area and the adults to watch from the deck.  Finally, this gets the projector high enough that we won't be seeing heads on the screen ala MST3K.

If I HAVE to, I can move the projector poolside and get within 30' or so (25' if I place the screen right on the far pool edge) but that scares me a LOT.

I've got some photos of the areas if that helps to describe my situation.  The first shows the pool area.  The screen will go roughly where the black table and chairs are.  The 2nd pic is my deck.  You can just see the edge of the pool thru the railing on the far right.

Thanks
Dan

* DCP_0038.JPG (252.26 KB, 900x600 - viewed 323 times.)

* DCP_0037.JPG (198.32 KB, 900x600 - viewed 357 times.)
aleuni

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:17:47 am »

Can you take a picture from the screen area towards the house.  Maybe you have a window you can shoot the PJ from.

Is rear projection an option?

At 45 ft your screen would be around 20+ wide.  That is a lot of screen for a poolside  movie.

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
"No idea is a good idea, until it is your idea"
cecilb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 10:25:50 am »

Just my two cents, I'd set up opposite fence where pool deck opens up and fence in your system. I think you would be fine. As you mentioned, it looks like a 25-30 foot throw. Not knowing what type of screen(Hey, think Gemmy, doubles as a life raft!) if you can get to edge of pool without any danger , might help

Sweet pool and landscaping.

Dunwoody area?

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
40-Dan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 12:15:16 pm »

aleuni,

I have some shots in that direction, but they are still on my camera at home.  Windows are approx. 10' further away than the deck rail on either the main or lower level.  RP is not really an option due to the landscaping, but that's a good idea.

cecilb,

I just might have to risk the projector in proximity to the pool.  The upside to that is that it will allow me to move my receiver and source back up under the deck (which is completely dryed in).  I don't mind having the screen right up almost to the edge of the pool.  It will most likely be constructed of a wood frame with stretched fabric and can be braced back to the fence - should be very stable.

Thanks for the compliment.  These photos were taken approx. 18 months ago before we purchased the house.  It's not QUITE in as good a shape today. Grin   We're actually in Peachtree City.

Dan
aleuni

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 01:14:05 pm »

Don't dismiss rear projection so quickly.  IF your screen is 10 wide you just need about 20 Ft.  If you are thinking 15-20ft wide you are right rear may be out of the questions unless you want to start playing with mirriors.

THis is what that looks like (see attached Pic)

I have placed that screen in Real tight places.  It seems you have a bit of space there.  Keep in mind you only need line of sight to the screen and a small footprint in the area for the PJ.  The easy way of figuring this out is mark you area for the screen width, use a table and chair if you want.  Measure of the correct distance to the PJ from the screen. You can use projectorcentral.com's calculator.  and wherever the PJ lands, kneel down and put your face where the PJ lens will be at.  If you don't have trees or non-movable objects in you line of sight then you will be good.

OR

You could also attach the PJ to the bottom of the deck with a projector hanger thingy.  I have seen these stands with a "quick" release.  so you can easily set up and tear down.

* DSCF1824.JPG (77.36 KB, 781x445 - viewed 323 times.)

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
"No idea is a good idea, until it is your idea"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: