Backyard Theater Forum
December 11, 2017, 03:47:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
84 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 03:47:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt and Amber's Backyard Theater (Name Pending)  (Read 8554 times)
RaalphD6

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:46:51 pm »

It's nice to know I'm not crazy.  One night I had a great idea to build a movie screen in my backyard.  I drew up some ideas and then paused and thought let's google it.  That's when I stumbled on this wonderful website and then my creative juices went nuts.  I was up until 4am reading, drawing and planning.  After a few days I convinced my girlfriend this was a great idea and called her dad and brother to have a planning meal.  I decided to make a 16X9 frame using 2" PVC pipe.  I also decided to have the screen rolled up on the PVC at the top and be able to pull it down and roll it up.  As the building began we found that it was easier to put the screen on the bottom and roll it up.  I purchased a 16X9 BOC from Carl for my screen.

Side Note:  Carl is great.  He answered my email questions almost immediately and shipped the screen out fast and with no complications.  I encourage everyone who wants to use BOC to contact Carl.  Simply put, amazing.

When the screen arrived I gathered the crew and started assembling the frame.  It was a little hard to put up because the legs were 4 feet high on one side and about 5 and half on the other.  I attached the legs to my fence where there is a slope, but it looked great.  During the set-up process I spoke with one of my neighbors.  While all of the other neighbors thought it was a great idea, she did not.  There were tears and a few letters to the HOA, but everything was resolved.  I opted to lower my screen so it sat only about a foot from the ground (about two on the low side).

Side Note:  In the email from my neighbor to the HOA she said "it looks like a drive in theater when I look out my bedroom window."  I took that as a compliment.

The first showing was Saturday the 23rd.  My mom and dad were in town visiting and it was a nice surprise for my mom who often thinks my crazy ideas are pretty fun.  About 25 friends, family and neighbors joined us to watch “Paul Blart Mall Cop.”  It was a fantastic evening and I am looking forward to our next show in a few weeks.

Here are some details:
Screen: 16X9 BOC on a 2' PVC frame.
Projector:  Epson Home Cinema 700
Audio:  Some speakers and an old Technics receiver I have had since high school.

I'm addicted.

Thanks!
-Matt
Fishers, Indiana

* Before.jpg (758.01 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 405 times.)

* The Trial.jpg (776.73 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 510 times.)

* The Big Night.jpg (839.37 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 456 times.)

* The crowd.jpg (1028.5 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 430 times.)

Crossing Drive Backyard Theaters
-Matt
RaalphD6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:55:54 pm »

I am already planning to build a 1' EMT frame that would be more portable as several people have asked me to take the show on the road.  I did have to allow Amber to get a Popcorn Machine as a compromise and it was super.  Now she wants a nacho cheese dispenser - which I think is a great idea. --Okay it is really me that wants it.  That and I have converted our vegetable steamer into a hot dog cooker and bun warmer.  I love to eat.

Right now I am thinking about the new frame.  I'll probably try a similar frame to the creative shelters.  That way I can throw everything in my SUV and put it up with Amber's brother (he works for food Smiley )

I am also looking for a good name so I can make a logo and start putting togther a web-site and something for a pre-show.

* Popcorn.jpg (723.91 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 445 times.)

-Matt
bmac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:06:12 pm »

Glad you are having fun!

What kind of critters are the cages for?  I'm sure they love being strategically situated next to the popcorn machine. Grin
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:31:02 pm »

Congrats, RaalphD6!  Less than a week in and you're already planning a second screen.  Sounds like you're in the right place.   Grin  Glad you're here. 

That little dude looks pretty excited about the popcorn!

Nice work.  Thanks for sharing pics and info -- and keep us posted on your updates!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

matt314159

8/28/10 - Season Closed

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:13:54 am »

very nice, good work!

One of the reasons I will NEVER live in an area with a HOA, I say it's MY property, if I want to do something a little unorthodox with it like put a giant movie screen in the back yard, so be it!    I shouldn't have to ask some snobby committee for permission first!  [/rant]
Dennis

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:38:20 am »

Very cool, Raalph!  Looks like summer will be a blast at your house.

BTW, I'm a transplanted Hoosier...born & raised in Indy, our last house before moving out of state was by the pyramids.

Ultimately the pessimist may be proven right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip!
hiredpower

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 02:27:06 am »

Welcome RaalphD6,

I'm another Hoosier to the north of you.

Thanks for sharing your setup.

Believe in Hired Power Entertainment
RaalphD6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 02:53:04 pm »

Glad you are having fun!

What kind of critters are the cages for?  I'm sure they love being strategically situated next to the popcorn machine. Grin

The cages are for my three dogs.  Two Miniature Pinchers and a Chihuahua.  I put them in those cages during the movie and everyone who went in to get some popcorn gave them a few pieces so I am sure they didn't mind missing the movie.  Smiley

-Matt
RaalphD6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 03:01:57 pm »

very nice, good work!

One of the reasons I will NEVER live in an area with a HOA, I say it's MY property, if I want to do something a little unorthodox with it like put a giant movie screen in the back yard, so be it!    I shouldn't have to ask some snobby committee for permission first!  [/rant]

Irony:  I am actually on the Board of my HOA and most of the complaints come to me.  Until about a week ago I was the one who had to write the initial letter to the homeowners letting them know there was a complaint.  I still have to paint my fence, but I was able to save the HOA 2 stamps by not writing the letters to myself.  Grin  It also doesn't hurt that I have dealt with the police for our Neighborhood Watch Program and many of them have purchased things from me where I work.

I also learned a lot about hpow to handle the situation from Danoplex II and Backyard Paradise's thread about neighbors http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=480.0.

-Matt
timtimes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 06:19:19 pm »

HOA?? LOL!!   It's just a lot easier living in the ghetto.  All I have to do is worry about keeping my stuff secure, and those worries are greatly abated by the abundance of teeth on the property.

I don't seriously consider my neighborhood the ghetto, but my grown children do.  In a very real sense, I'm the Clint Eastwood character in Gran Torino.    I'll be longing for my ghetto existence really soon because I have to give it up and move to Germany in a couple months.  I've got pics of where I'll be staying over there.  I'll start a thread soon and post the pics so we can all brainstorm on the best ideas for the next BYT I'm going to have to build.

Matt/Amber:  Popcorn machine ALREADY??  Took me at least a few months to work up to that level of commitment!!   Fact is, I was on my SECOND projector before I was onto my first popcorn machine!  Did anybody mention how addicting this hobby can be?  I fully expect it will show up in the big book of psychological disorders before the end of the decade.

Enjoy.

* Roxie and P-Nutt.JPG (884.36 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 359 times.)

* Bandit.JPG (652.31 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 366 times.)

* Lizzie.JPG (666.05 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 374 times.)

* deck82.jpg (133.5 KB, 640x360 - viewed 366 times.)

Mom always told me I was special and I believed her.
RaalphD6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 10:31:14 pm »

I thought I would update with some pictures of version 2 of my backyard theater.  Thanks to hiredpower I have a modified creative shelters frame with trapeze fabric.  It is awesome looking and I am looking to take the show on the road.  I have a few people interested in some parties throughout the summer and am looking forward to some great events.

I am also working on version 2.1.  My girlfriend's dad is going to powder-coat the EMT. 

I am currently working on a name.  I have gotten the word out and am trying to start a website.  I seem to be stuck on the name.

Anyway, here are some photos of the new screen.

* Screen Photo#1.JPG (1969.37 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 452 times.)

-Matt
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:15:08 pm »

RaalphD6,

That looks pretty good!  I'm sure your neighbors have already had a whiskey tango foxtrot moment with that thing looming overhead.  Wink  Did you inherit hired's old screen or is that a new build?

I am also working on version 2.1.  My girlfriend's dad is going to powder-coat the EMT. 

There's not a lot of slop in the CS fittings.  If you intend to powder coat all the way to the ends you might want to do just one for test fitting before you coat them all.

-Sparge-
Dennis

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 09:24:20 am »

I'm sure your neighbors have already had a whiskey tango foxtrot moment with that thing looming overhead.

I totally spit coffee out my nose...I'm stealing "whiskey-tango-foxtrot-moment".

Ultimately the pessimist may be proven right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip!
RaalphD6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 09:04:01 pm »

Did you inherit hired's old screen or is that a new build?

This is hired's old screen and I love it!

There's not a lot of slop in the CS fittings.  If you intend to powder coat all the way to the ends you might want to do just one for test fitting before you coat them all.

Our plan is to put everything together and then mark everything.  That way we can not powder-coat the EMT where it goes into the fittings.  That's the plan right now, but we may not be allowed to do it at the facility we planned.  We may just come up with another way to paint it.  I'm still kicking around some ideas in my head.

-Matt
kenallwine

Closed for the season

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 10:02:07 pm »

Great Job!  The screen looks great.  I too am glad that I don't have HOA to deal with!!

Ken Allwine
510 Cinema
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: