Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 02:17:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
120 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:17:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to build a backyard theater on the cheap  (Read 344930 times)
sarava

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 08:55:27 pm »

hey guys im new here and ive got a big backyard and a new home ive been in for 2 yrs and i love this site.

im going to buy one of those inflatable screens, how do i get live t.v. to the screen.

my best guess is i need a line of cable on outside of home and a projector and a cable box?

any help appreciated thanks jl. aka - sarava
Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 09:15:56 pm »

You still have to have some kind of tuner box. You can use your VCR for this, for example. Run the cable into the VCR, then VCR output into the projector.

All projectors do is show pictures - they don't know anything about tuning TV stations.

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
sarava

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2007, 04:33:08 am »

lol that figures, seeing thou as i finally threw out my vcr cause i only use dvd player now.

practically brand new.alright so buy a tuner box and speakers and the other stuff and im all set? thanks cherry hill.
wizochelle

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2007, 08:40:39 am »

hello all,
I didn't wanted to start a new thread. I was offered this system for $500 and I am tempted; I would like some advice/input.
do you think the price is fair?
I want to buy a system and this looks complete to me but I am not sure about the price. the guy told me the system was lightly used.
any questions I should ask?
thanks.
here are the specs:
INFOCUS 4805 Digital Projector (New, used condition)
8' Draper Luma Screen (New, used condition)
Leap Frog 2.4ghz Wireless Transmitter
Leap Frog 2.4ghz Wireless Receiver
INFOCUS Projector Remote
Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2007, 10:53:17 am »

This sounds like it could be a really good way for you to get started. The InFocus 4805 was one of the standard "must have" projectors a couple of years ago. It was a really good home theater projector, but at 750 lumens, it is going to be marginal for an outdoor theater. I know some people have projectors with that kind of lighting power and think they do fine, but personally I found 1400 lumens barely adequate. If your yard isn' completely dark, I suspect it's not going to do a good job for you.

But you really should look this horse in the mouth. You need to know how many hours are on the lamp, first.  They should last at least 2000 hours. A replacement costs around $350. So, if you have to replace the bulb next month, your $500 deal is now a $850 deal. And you should factor into that how trustworthy the seller is. If it's someone you know well and trust, then the lamp timer is probably accurate. But they can be reset manually, and if the hours shown on the projector are really low you should ask to see the receipt or box for the "new" bulb.

So, that's my take. There are a lot of variables there that you will have to sniff out yourself, but the technical side is that the projector will do an OK job, if not fabulous, the other equipment looks very useful, and the price looks good. You'll just have to try to figure whether the bulb still has life in it, and whether you have a dark enough place to use a 750 lumens projector on that size screen.

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
wizochelle

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2007, 02:40:05 pm »

That really helps; Thanks Cherry Hills!
marsh

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2007, 04:16:06 pm »

We purchased a Infocus 72 from Tiger Direct for $450 after rebate.  There was a $200 rebate that we had to wait 12 weeks for.  I would highly recommend the projector.   
ThriftStoreKing

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007, 05:58:20 pm »

I've been quite fortunate in finding various bits and pieces for my backyard theater at local thrift stores and furniture consignment stores.  I found a proxima 8400 projector for $50 in a furniture and home decor consignment shop and it has been a great projector.  I'm just crossing my fingers on the bulb life.  I have found 3 AV receivers with Surroundsound processors for under $15 each at local thrift stores.  My speakers are thift store finds with brand names like Marantz and Infinity and only had to replace old foam surrounds on the woofers... again $15-$20 a pair.  I strap my equipment to a food/microwave cart for portability and my screen is a $20 sheet of Plas-Tex sheeting that I picked up at Home Depot.  Cruise thrift stores and look in the nooks and crannies.  Leave no box unopened.  Also make a friend of the folks that work there and let them know what you are looking for.  Hope this helps.
pokeys

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2007, 10:54:29 am »

Hello All,

I am new to Backyardtheatre, this is a tremendous site, have gotten many great ideas. 

That being said, I am looking for a projector, am looking to spend about $500.   I dont need to biggest or best, need someting to put out a decent picture appx 10-15 feet from screen(appx 90 inches diagonally)  I have been on ebay, craigslist, all the electronics stores(Best Buy, Circuit City etc...)  Can anybody help.   I want a good picture(better contrast and resolution) and willing to trade off Lumens(need probably 1000) to get.  I cant seem to find the right combination. 

ANyway, thanks, let me know your ideas!
Cinema BBQ

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2007, 06:37:09 pm »

Do you know of any poles made from powder coated aluminum?
Dalefan3n88

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2008, 07:04:23 am »

Fantastic ideas, I LOVE this site. I'm still putting together my setup but this gives me allot of ideas. I didn't know business class machines were better but it makes sense.

I'm thinking of using old Drive in trailers and intermission videos downloaded from youtube in between movies to give it the nostalgic feel for us older folks where actually knew what drive in's were like.

May God be in your heart and in your Projector

Kevin
Coal Valley Il.
turnerx5

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 06:26:06 am »

Right now, InFocus is selling the venerable X2 as a refurbished projector for $273, plus shipping (link below). No, that is not a typo on the price. Heck, bulb replacements for this PJ are $250!  The PJ comes with a 90 day warranty, 6 month bulb warranty. Several board members have used this projector and give it high marks. It is probably not high enough quality for inhome theater, but for outside it should work great! Good luck,

Turnerx5

If for some reason the link doesn't work, just go to the Infocus online store, and click on the business section, scroll down abd it's there!

http://store.infocus.com/Stores/Consumer/Product.aspx?ProductId={F62A83B8-E047-40BC-87BC-26E7C8401A79}

Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2008, 07:56:16 am »

Right now, InFocus is selling the venerable X2 as a refurbished projector for $273, plus shipping (link below). No, that is not a typo on the price. Heck, bulb replacements for this PJ are $250!

That's a wonderful price, especially given typical bulb costs.  This would be a great way for many to get into the hobby and a good back up projector for some of us.  But alas, the InFocus web site already says "temporarily backordered".   Sad

-Sparge-
PTFI

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 02:16:25 pm »

This has got to be the BEST site on the entire WWW

I got the Deluxe 12X12 widescreen blow up screen from Walmart.com for $189
A new Infocus projector for $298 from thenerds.com
(Media Friendly with component inputs Model # GAUD300-WW)

I already had a spare DVD player and a spare Technics Receiver with speakers and sub.

I'm going to hook up my U-verse STB (w/component outputs) and show Disney's Cheetah Girls New Movie tonight!
piratetv

This is my portable theater, at a friends pool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 09:59:23 pm »

http://www.i4u.com/article4200.html

im not sure how the picture is but $289 for a dlp projector with dvd inside isnt too bad
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: