Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 03:30:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
101 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:30:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting DirecTV outdoors?  (Read 6233 times)
1littlepiggy

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:35:06 am »

My DH's first request was get sports on the big screen.  So, I now turn to my fellow BYTers for help. 

What would be the easiest way for me to accomplish this?  We currently have sat on two different tv's inside and we have a 3 LNB satellite.  So, should I get the cable & run it to our BYT & get an extra receiver from Ebay?  Or am I totally thinking about this the wrong way?
40-Dan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 11:44:24 am »

There's a few items to consider here.  Unfortunately, I'm about to head out the door.

One quick question first - do you have a multi-switch (you might call it a splitter, but that's not technically correct) or do both receivers you have tie directly to the dish?  I'm guessing that you do NOT have a switch w/ only 2 boxes.  DirecTV would not have automatically installed one for you.

It makes a difference on how to proceed.

Dan
1littlepiggy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:50:47 am »

Yes, we have the multi-switch already installed.
Mushface2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 01:36:40 pm »

I have a new HD DVR (black box) and 3 lnb dish also from DirecTv.  On the back of the reciever under component video, there are 2 yellow video out jacks.  I have used both of them using a 50 foot coax cable with a/v connectors that I had made at the local electronics shop.  Just unplug from the back dvd unit and plug into the back of the DVR.  Presto HDTV on the big screen!   I watched some of the Olympics and some Angels baseball games recently with some buddies from the neighborhood.
Sean
Pyronious

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 01:55:48 pm »

I have a new HD DVR (black box) and 3 lnb dish also from DirecTv.  On the back of the reciever under component video, there are 2 yellow video out jacks.  I have used both of them using a 50 foot coax cable with a/v connectors that I had made at the local electronics shop.  Just unplug from the back dvd unit and plug into the back of the DVR.  Presto HDTV on the big screen

Just a quick correction here - the yellow outputs on the back of the DirecTV HD DVR are not HDTV outputs.  They only output SD video.  If you want to run true HD to your PJ, use the component output (the 3 RCA connectors colored red, green, and blue).  Make sure you configure the box to output the desired HD resolution (720 or 1080).  Otherwise it may default to 480p.

I agree that running the coax from the dish/switch out to the PJ and putting the DirecTV box close by is the best solution.   The coax cable (from  the dish/switch) can handle long cable runs much better than a typical video cable can.

* img_5975[1].jpg (62.18 KB, 1024x208 - viewed 437 times.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:59:40 pm by Pyronious » Logged

Seattle Starlight Cinema
www.SeattleStarlight.com
Mushface2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 02:05:08 pm »

Pyronious, You're correct.  Not HDTV, just tv.  I have not explored any further, just found the easiest switch over after the movie while I am breaking down the BYT beacause everyone usually leaves just after the calpping is over.
40-Dan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 03:53:24 pm »

One important topic since we are discussing DircTV's HD receivers.

On the HR20-700 (and all other HD DVR's to the best of my knowledge) have ALL outputs active at any one time - HDMI, Component, composite, and whatever else is on there.  I currently run my 61" LCD RP in the basement and a 27" tube on the back patio w/ the same box - bigscreen is via component, 27" is via composite to an RF converter, then thru the house cable wiring to my outdoor set.  The picture on IT isn't great, but it's outside where I could smoke (before I quit).

Dan
cjcote

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:10:23 pm »

Pyronious, You're correct.  Not HDTV, just tv.  I have not explored any further, just found the easiest switch over after the movie while I am breaking down the BYT beacause everyone usually leaves just after the calpping is over.

Another option for keeping it HD is buying three of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103638&cp=&sr=1&origkw=y+adapter&kw=y+adapter&parentPage=search

Or one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10422&cs_id=1042205&p_id=2848&seq=1&format=2

And connecting them to the component Red, Green, and Blue connections.  I do this in my living room for the Wii.  One output goes to my plasma and the other output goes to my projector. 

All you would need is a long component cable like this from monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023501&p_id=2178&seq=1&format=2

CJ

40-Dan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:37:07 pm »

A lot of it depends on how long your runs are and if you are planning on an HD signal to your projector.

I'd think twice about ebay for a sat. receiver.  Depending on what package you have (ie, how much you spend w/ them a month) and whether you're willing to extend a contract, DirecTV is usually pretty good about offering deep discounts or even free equipment.  Remember that each additional receiver after the 1st one is an extra $5/mo.

If you really want/need HD at the projector and it's located less than a 50' cable run or so from one of your other receiver locations, I'd vote for the RCA splitters off the component output, or like I posted before, feed one device component and the other HDMI.  There ARE more esoteric ways of sending that signal further, but anything over 50' is really pushing it.  You'd probably want to invest in some type of IR extender to be able to change channels w/ this method.

There are also options to send video wirelessly, but I've never used any of them, and I don't know if any really have the bandwidth to do HD.

Other option is another receiver w/ lines run from the multi-switch to your BYT location.  If you are going to use it frequently, I'd probably go this route and pop for the extra monthly expense.  But then again, I have 4 receivers (2 are HD) in a house w/ 2 adults, a 1st grader, and a toddler.  And I'm thinking about adding a 5th pretty soon.

Dan
digitaldevice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:59:26 pm »

This is what I have set up. I use a WINTV HVR-1800 TV card in my PC. My PC runs the whole show. I have an antenna on a piece of 10 foot PVC in a metal tripod. I only get the local games, but I get 10 HD channels around here in IL.
I use snapstream's software. It is the best PC DVR software I have tried. Snapstream.com

We had a good turn out tonight for the closing of the Olympics. I was awesome in HD.

Randy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: