Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 05:36:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
103 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:36:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intermission slides  (Read 11928 times)
Cherry Hills

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2005, 12:48:15 am »

To me, part of the drive-in experience was the cheesy music and intermission slides, urging us to spend more at the concession stand and come back next weekend.

Has anyone made slides like this? The typical DVD player will read JPEGs from a CD-ROM, so you could put on a Ventures CD and flip through your intermission slides while people are arriving, setting up their lawn chairs, getting popcorn, etc.

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 07:08:26 am »

To me, part of the drive-in experience was the cheesy music and intermission slides, urging us to spend more at the concession stand and come back next weekend.

Has anyone made slides like this? The typical DVD player will read JPEGs from a CD-ROM, so you could put on a Ventures CD and flip through your intermission slides while people are arriving, setting up their lawn chairs, getting popcorn, etc.

There are quite a few sources but I have not used their products.  Check:

http://www.drive-ins.com/store.htm
http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D62327++
http://www.dvdmoviecentral.com/ReviewsText/drivein_discs_collection.htm
http://www.5drivein.com/videos.php

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 10:42:22 am »

I found a copy of "DRIVE-IN DISCS Vol 1" on Amazon.com (of all places) and ordered it. Thanks for the tips. Too bad those QuikTime movies are so small....

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
DigiMark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 12:35:12 pm »

I'm not sure slides of stills is as impressive as actually running the motion clips but your mileage may vary. If you know where to look there are a ton of the videos available.

Something Weird Video sells Volumes 1-6 of "Hey Folks, It's Intermission Time!". The first volume is classic intermission clocks, refreshment stand ads, local retail ads, etc. (My favorite of the six.) Each volume has a mix of intermission clips and ads for movies. but specifc volumes feature themes. Volume 3, for instance, concentrates on 'spookfest"/Halloween-type clips. SWV is famous for selling a lot of the old cheesy B-movie sexplotation and horror flicks that were shown in drive-ins, so their stuff is a treasure trove. Two warnings -- first, each disk is prefaced with maybe two minutes of an ad for SWV's other products. It's a hoot, but you should preview it before showing it at your party, since it might not fit in with the rest of the clips. Second, the disks I received are written to DVD-Rs. This isn't a problem for most, but my then-primary player (a Sony DVP-S7000 reference player) doesn't play DVD-Rs.

Drive-In Film.com sells the original 16/35mm film of intermission clips for real drive-in use, and they also sell DVDs of the movies, both as a catalog of their products and for personal home use. Some of their disks (Just Clocks and More Clocks) are 10 minute countdown clocks perfect for backyard drive-in use. The proprietor, Derek Maxwell, is very friendly. He's a one-person shop so the disks might take a week or two to ship out. The intermission clips have an overlaid "drive-infilms.com" logo in the bottom right but I don't find it obtrusive for our purposes.

There are at least three of the Drive-In Disks available from Amazon and other places that are a whole "evening at the drive-in" experience, including the before, intermission and closing clips, two horror movies, and all the ambience sounds. The first two disks are in B&W and the third is in color. Disk 3 is considered the best of the lot if you can only pick one.

You can also get these disks and others from eBay sellers.

I copied all of the disks I purchased to my PowerBook, converted them to DiVX and I can play them back from the PowerBook. Very handy.  -Gary

hiredpower
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 07:31:46 pm »

Digimark,

I bought the Drive-In Disc Volume 3 a while back. I might be asking the wrong person here since you have PowerBook, but what software did you use to copy and convert the dvd to divx? I too think it woul be handy to play directly from my ThinkPad instead of scrolling through the menus.

Thanks,

Keith
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 08:35:51 am »

I bought all 6 volumes of "Hey Folks It's Intermission Time" here as a package deal:

http://hometown.aol.com/driveinexchange1/DVDs.html

Shipping was fast (within a couple of days) and customer service for one defective disk was EXCELLENT.  I would HIGHLY recommend them.

I just use NERO (which came with my DVD burner) to select the clips I want to use to create a "project" and then burn the whole project. I started with one of the many count-down clocks from one of the Drive-in disks, added a clip from a concert, a cartoon, a "please be kind to other patrons" clip from the Drive-in disc  and then the feature. Everyone loved it. And as long as you keep it to two hours, you can burn everything to one disc. Then, once you hit "play" you can enjoy the show along with everyone else. No changing discs, going through  the menu and all that stuff.

If you run longer than two hours, NERO can compress the clips to make them fit. You can play around with compressing everything, or I usually compress the Drive-in clips (they're SUPPOSED to look old) and the cartoon (no one ever notices) and leave the concert footage as high as possible and DEFINATLEY the feature at 100% (no compression). OR, if your DVD burner supports it, you can burn to dual layer disks at 100%, but they currently run about $7.00 a piece!

Just as a note, you ARE allowed to make back-up copies of DVDs you own, for private use.

Good luck,
Tom
bertsbug

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:37:16 am »

I just picked up these  vol 1-6

http://www.somethingweird.com/cart.php?
target=product&product_id=24061&substring=e0009
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:34:02 am »

I really like the Drive-In Discs from Elite:

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=912.msg35844#msg35844

The Elites are set up like a whole "night at the drive-in" experience rather than just a collection of clips.  I only use them for the clips though.  Smiley  They're the highest quality versions of the classics (dancing hot dog, pic, chilly dilly, let's all go to the lobby, etc.) that I've come across.  And they're already in DVD format (rather than Quicktime or similar).

If you're going for the Something Weird discs then be sure to get the remastered versions.  Drive-In Exchange sells both the originals (like you'd get directly from Something Weird) and a remastered set they put together themselves.  Note the similar, but different name for each version:

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=912.msg35865#msg35865

-Sparge-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: