Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 07:52:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
106 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 07:52:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LCD projectors for drive in?  (Read 12018 times)
rh1958

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:10:28 pm »

Are there any LCD projectors that will work for a small scale drive in?  If so what is the maximum screen size for the LCD projector?
moondrivein

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 01:49:44 pm »

That's what I'd like to find out! I'd like to go at least 50' wide.
cinepro
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 04:41:55 pm »

Yes you can get projectors that will fill a 50' screen. Many standard off the shelf projectors will easly fill a 20ft wide screen ie 300" screen, over that you will have to buy a professional model with interchangable lens. Check the specification sheets of the projectors.

If you are going to the expense to build a 50ft screen perhaps you should go to the trouble of buying a projector that can run first release films? Standard projectors and absolutely no lcd models  can do this. 35mm film or 3 chip DLP Digital Cinema models are really the only way to really set up a commercial operation if you need a return on your investment.
moondrivein

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 07:23:05 am »

I'm currently leasing a twin drive-in. Both screens are over 50'. I run 35mm film. I want to do a car show this Summer, & obtaining old films is getting difficult. (I did call Universal about About American Graffiti & Two Lane Blacktop.) I can't afford commercial equipment. I think that 99.9% of drive-in 's still run film. I saw a 6000 lumen DLP machine for for around 3000.00. Could that get a decent picture @ 40' wide? Can a larger projector be rented for one night only? Who rents them?  Thanks, Bob.
rich92069

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56:04 pm »

I saw a 6000 lumen DLP machine for for around 3000.00. Could that get a decent picture @ 40' wide? Can a larger projector be rented for one night only? Who rents them?  Thanks, Bob.

Bob, that 6000 lumen projector is more suited for a 30' screen, to answer your questions will it work on a 40' screen, yes but it will be a dull picture unless you have some spectacular high screen gain that is going to reflect the picture light back at you. If you have ambient light to contend with your in trouble with a 6000 lumen.

To get a good idea of the picture quality maybe I suggest trying to light up a 20' screen with a 1500 lumen projector.

I would recommend something closer to 10,000 - 12,000 lumens or stack two projectors for that 50'.

here is a couple companies i have used in a pinch, however not the cheapest. You could probably find better deals Googling.
http://www.meetingtomorrow.com/category/projector-rentals
http://www.rentourprojectors.com/Large-Venue-Projector-Rentals.asp

if you look at my PPV fight pics from two weekends ago i was using a christie ds90 6000 lumen on my 25'.

It would be like trying

cdepaola

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 11:37:27 pm »

I 100% agree with Rich... Could you use a 6000 lumen PJ for that 40' or 50' wide screen, yup... Will it look good?  Most likely not at all.

Meeting Tomorrow is going to cost you alot of money to rent the appropriate sized PJ.  Your best bet is to call around to some rental and staging companies, these guys typically have plenty of 10 - 15000 lumen pj's that they will be happy to "sub-rent" to you.  When you call make sure to tell them that your looking to get sub-rental pricing...  Here in Chicago I can pick up a 10,000 lumen LCD Christie for about $750 for a night.  Thats for a standard xga lcd projector, so nothing spectacular picture quality wise but it will work for ya. They will most likely also have a few HD projectors that they will rent to you for a higher price...  I'd work an advertising angle with them if I were you to get the price down on something HD if they have it.

rawod

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 11:39:01 am »

Three chip DLP is the future.  Keep in mind the major advantage DLP has over LCD -- in a DLP your source light is reflecting off of mirrors and generates no heat by reflection.  An LCD however, has your source light going through the liquid crystal array and THAT causes heat.  Heat that will reduce the useful life of the LCD.  An LCD, over time and with a LOT of source lumans, changes colors and becomes unusable IMHO.

The party, the people, the movie (and Hot Dogs)
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 05:41:35 pm »

Three chip DLP is the future.  Keep in mind the major advantage DLP has over LCD -- in a DLP your source light is reflecting off of mirrors and generates no heat by reflection.  An LCD however, has your source light going through the liquid crystal array and THAT causes heat.  Heat that will reduce the useful life of the LCD.  An LCD, over time and with a LOT of source lumans, changes colors and becomes unusable IMHO.

LCD is going reflective as well...

The 61000, 31000, and 21000 are new PJ entries.  It will be interesting to see if the 61000 can live up to the claim of a million-to-one contrast ratio.  Epson has never been one to inflate or tweak their specs.  With an MSRP of $7K and a 1200 lumen count I don't expect to see the 61000 showing up in too many backyard theaters.   However, it does appear Epson is making a concerted effort to put a contender in the sub $10K home theater arena.

The above three PJs all use new "reflective" 3LCD technology and are the first projectors based around this new panel type.  It will be interesting to see if this new panel further closes the gap between LCD and DLP (DLP and LCoS are both also reflective technologies, by the way).  It would be nice to have a projector with the black levels of DLP but the color depth of LCD!

-Sparge-
cinepro
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 07:44:13 pm »

The issue is probably the lens focus more than the lamphouse brightness, I feel with the typical drive in light level of 4 ft lamberts, 6000 lumens would probably be a decent starting point, don't be afraid to play with the brightness settings in the menu. Is your drive in located in a dark enviroment? Screens been recently painted. etc all have an effect.

What sized film lamphouse do you use? What shaped screen 2.1 or 2.39? A 600" image would easly focus a 1.85 frame ie 40x22ft image on your screen.

The Panasonic 6300 and a variety of Sanyo and Christie projectors can reproduce very large images and might be worth renting just to get an idea of what results you can achieve with a modest budget. You will also probably find a lens that works from your projection box.
moondrivein

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 12:42:53 pm »

Thanks! I'm learning a lot from you guys! I have zero experience with digital projectors.  Lamphouses: I have a Knighsley Xennex II in booth one, & a Strong X-60 in booth two. Both run 4,000 watt xenon bulbs.  Screen one is around 2:35 to1 (around 100 feet wide), & #two is around 2: to 1 @ around 75 feet wide. When film is no longer available, it's probably time to hang up my splicer. Bob. Cry
Chaz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 02:09:49 am »

I personally know that Sanyo I have for sale in the sale section does an awesome job! I have used in on screens from 16' up to 60' wide with no problems at all. You can go and see the pics for yourself!

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=4028.0

Now the Christies I have are better, the downfall is the $$$$$ spent for them. The Sanyo was my first outdoor projector, I love it and still use it from time to time both inside and out! I just used it the other night to fill a gym wall and it was a VERY BIG wall.

If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse. Making lifelong magical memories!
cdepaola

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 09:46:24 am »

I think we can all agree that it can be done with something like your Sanyo, in fact we have said as much.  The question really becomes what are the expectations of the venue and of the customers.  Everyones definition of "awesome" is going to be very different.  A 6500 lumen xga PJ filling a 50' wide screen would produce approximately 2 fl.  I know Cinepro has mentioned that 4fl is the normal brightness produced by drive-in's but I've been hard pressed to find anyone in my area actuall operating at that low of a brightness and 2 fl is obviously even below that.  In fact 4 FL is at the extream low end and the lowest acceptable number as published in the SMPTE RP 12, if I remember correctly. I'm at the firehouse today and my copy is at home.  Also don't forget currently unknown variables such as ambient light levels.

So will it work, yup... It will put a picture up on the screen that may or may not be acceptable to you.  Go rent a few projectors and see what works for you.

rich92069

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 02:27:04 pm »

dont forget to keep us posted on how this goes and take pics

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: