Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 11:10:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
75 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:10:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't you wish you were this guy's friend  (Read 4840 times)
aleuni

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2006, 07:24:50 pm »

My best Friend lives about 1:30 away (Palm Beach, FL) and he was sharing with me about some guy he met at a funeral.  This guy is a retired cop and all his life he wanted to work as the film guy in a movie theater.  Well now he does it just for the fun of it.  The kicker is that he has a movie theater system at home and he takes home, first run and even movies that are not released yet and gets to watch them in his garage. 

My comment was "I bet his house is popular." My friend told me he made the same remark to the guy and he said "I invite people all the time and no one ever wants to come"

My friend is now setting up a date to get the Youth Group of his church to go.

I find it very fishy and I had a 101 questions about it.  But when he actually goes and checks out a movie I will have more answers for you guys.  I am just real jealous of my friend right now.

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
"No idea is a good idea, until it is your idea"
Danoplex II

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 08:08:54 pm »

Alex,

People nowadays are so busy.  You would think that what we all do is the coolest things ever and everyone would want to come to see a movie.  Not sure if it the movies I am showing or just a bunch of busy people.  I print 140 flyers and put them in the neighbors paper boxes/mail boxes (I know that is not legal) and so far, I have only had a handful of neighbors come.  Even my next door neighbors on both sides are very inconsistent with attendance.  I have done this now 2 seasons and the neighbor directly next door just came to see Star Wars III.  The neighbors behind me always have their kids out sitting at my fence watching from afar.  So, I feel this guys pain on his lack of attendance at his first run movies.  I just know if I had a friend with a kickass indoor screening room/home theater, I would be all over it.  But would still want my own!

Dano (redheaded step child on the block)

tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 07:44:25 am »

I had three kids last month for King Kong (2005). That's it. No adults, no teens. And none of the three kids made it to the end.

At least they helped me set up. And did a good job too.

I said to my wife that if they all leave with more than hour left, we're packing it in and watching the rest later. The last kid left with a half hour to go, so we watched the end. MY wife and I had it all borken, down, packed up, back home, unloaded and in the house in 45 mionutes.

I feel your pain.

Tom
Danoplex II

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 02:53:57 pm »

Tom,

One of my neighbors called this morning prior to me leaving for work.  She said that they were moving and wanted to thanks us for all the invites and it was a great thing I was doing for the neighborhood.  Of course she has never been to one. 

With all the gear I have to pack away after a movie if everyone leaves it takes us about an hour or a bit more to get it all put away.  I am anal so it has to be packed correctly or I would not sleep knowing my cords or something was out of place....lol

Most of the time, one of my attendees (My roadie) stays and helps me.  It takes us about 30-45 minutes.  He just brings it all to me and waits for instructions as to where it goes.  Going to cook that man a filet dinner one night!

Later,  Dano

Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 10:57:38 pm »

Well, Dano, it sounds to me like your next technical project should be "simplify setup/breakdown".

There have been a bunch of good suggestions that could be combined for a fast setup:

Different screen (e.g. Gemmy, Sima, FastFold)

Different projector mount (e.g. PA speaker stand, quick disconnects, permanent enclosure)

Different wiring (e.g. snake, wireless, permanent under deck)

Different audio (e.g. Randy's rolling rack, self-powered speakers).

Let us know what you come up with. Should "simplifying setup" be a new topic?

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 07:57:48 am »

One of my neighbors called this morning prior to me leaving for work.  She said that they were moving and wanted to thanks us for all the invites and it was a great thing I was doing for the neighborhood.  Of course she has never been to one. 

I get the same kind of thing every once in a while. But I said to my wife that if more people don't start showing up, I'm just going to make a screen to fit on my deck, install a somewhat more permananet wiring system to make easy to set up and take down and just do it for us and whoever feels like coming.

We're showing the Music Man tomorrow night. We'll see how it goes.

Looks like we've hijacked the thread. I guess I should move this to my own thread. I'll report there after the showing.

Tom
kelemvor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 12:43:36 pm »

I figure we might do something like this next summer when our daughter is older.  We did a showing for her 1yr birthday but it started drizzling so we called it off haldway through.  Tore the whole setup down in like 10 minutes since we had a bunch of people helping.

I'll probably do something for my birthday in October since it will be darker earlier and hopefully not too cold.

Danoplex II

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 08:10:45 pm »

CherryHills,

Yeah I wish my setup was easier to do but there is always a trade off.  I think the only thing I would change if I were to do it over would be to use JBL Eon powered speakers rather than a power amp speaker combo.  The Eons are lighter and of course have their own power.  I still would have to run wires to the speakers but less setup time.  I think I am going to like my new screen when I get the 1 3/" connectors here.  I like my canvas screen a lot.  I have been thinking about the Gemmy or something similar but I like my 8 x 16 size and the Gemmy is smaller.  I am sure it will evolve.  I just wish you all could hear the sound and I think you would agree it is worth it.  ChefTom has something close with his B52 self contained system.  Now just take that and add surround.....you know what I am talking about!!!

I know if I do an actual "on the road" event, I am going to use my new screen frame and one set of amps and one set of speakers.  It will be much less to drag around and set up.  I am curious about the Gemmy if you think it would hold up to being taken around for portable shows.

Dano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: