Backyard Theater Forum
December 11, 2017, 09:46:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
85 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 09:46:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FINALLY, I'm making time to show my setup  (Read 6709 times)
audiobuff2

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2006, 10:31:58 pm »

I've been here for a long time, and had been slowly getting things together, until one weekend after the Dazian Trapeze arrived, that my wife announced we're having a movie night on the weekend.  Well, that was motivation for me to get in gear and finish.  And now, 2 months later, I'm posting it on here. ( I am SO lazy)

I had bought 6 yards of trapeze and a plethora of pvc piping. My goal: a 10x 20 foot screen. (Everyone here seemed to start at 4x8 or 6x12 and then go bigger, I thought start big!)

My lovely wife sewed a pocket all along the top, bottom and sides of the trapeze and we cut out spaces for the corners and joints of the pvc.
All's well, except the fabric did not stretch enough, so I had to cut 6 inches from each vertical and horizontal piece. I probably got some back from the joints, but I still like to say it's a 10x20.

I stood it up on 4 ft posts and attached some guy wires at the top corners to stabilize.
Unfortunately, that size is totally not stable, so I added a center back support to keep the middle part of the screen from flexing back and forth.  I have added, after these photos, another back support at the other two vertical posts, and stronger rope for the guy lines.  The first one was just some twine that I had in the garage. Now it's some 90 lb strong nylon rope.

One other problem, because of the pockets the screen touches the vertical support posts.  When there is a bright scene in the movie you can see the posts showing through the material.  Well, I can see them, no one else has mentioned it.  I've got some black fabric to glue to the posts and reduce the reflection from them. Should be fine when I'm done.

Projection is from a borrowed Sharp PG-M10 (?) projector from work.  800 lumens, and low resolution but no one notices. 

When I first started sound was from an old Yamaha receiver, (80 wpc) and some Mirage 260 bookshelf speakers. ( 6" woofer, and a tweeter)  That setup was just not strong enough. the amp kept shutting down one or the other  channel during the show.  I knew I needed to get something better.  (Fast forward a month or so)  The cul-de-sac paid an exterminator to do all the houses at  once, and I had to let him into the house up the hill. I wandered the long way around to catch a garage sale and found an entire Technic surround stereo for $50, SWEET! Now I have two towers with 12" woofers and surround to boot!  It rocked the next movie night.

At this point, all that's left is to get enough speaker wire to run the surround sound, and to run a coax for cable to the outside.  I have to do that tomorrow, cause I've promised Monday Night Football on the big screen. 

Here's the pictures:

* P8050023.JPG (813.2 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 709 times.)

* P8050025.JPG (751.15 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 551 times.)

* P8050026.JPG (757.28 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 578 times.)
kelemvor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:50:04 pm »

Are the 3 middle posts behind the screen?  THey srue to show up a lot when you view those first 2 pictures.  It must be the fabric because I can't see mine at all aand my PVC frame is exactly the same as yours (see link in sig).

Looks good though.

These are what I'm using to keep the screen tight as of tonight.  Don't know why I didn't think of it before but they work incredibly well.  Nothing is going to bring this thing down unless the stakes come out of the ground.  Maybe I shuld get some of thsoe things for a dog leach that screw into the ground.  Those shoudl be pretty secure and real easy to get in and out...  hmmm.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=342922

Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 11:53:10 pm »

In the large photos, you can see that all of them are taken from the back of the screen - it's not as bad as it looks in the thumbnails.

So, audiobuff, where is your projector? Do you bring it out for movie night, or is it in the house somewhere?

And what is the diameter of the PVC pipe? I assume it's like 1.5" or so, because you don't seem to have too much flexing in it now

Cool setup!

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
hiredpower
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 05:51:13 am »

Looking good audiobuff! Sounds like it has all come together for you.

I saw a party tent rental outfit erecting their structure and noticed they used those ratchet straps:

http://www.gettent.com/index12.htm#Convenience

Here are some of those auger stakes:

http://www.hogantentstakes.com/catalog/18

audiobuff2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 09:51:03 pm »

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

kelemvor, the 3 middle posts are behind the screen, but the material is stretched pretty tight. Appears to be tighter than yours, from what I saw in the photos of your setup.  Due to the position of the sun, they appear a lot worse in these pictures than in real life. I don't notice them at all in daylight, and they are only visible during bright, non moving scenes during the show.

CherryHills, the first two pictures are the front of the screen, only the last is the back view. The projector sits on the little cart that hold my DVD player and stereo amp. I keep it in a corner nect to my patio door. I've 'borrowed' it from work.  They only use it at trade shows, and that's only twice a year. I don't use it at home other than the outside shows.  My PVC is 1.5". I tried to use only 3 vertical supports, but it was  a no go, so I added the other two and it's much better. Still pretty wobbly at that size, but with the diagonal supports in the back it's much better.

The ratchet straps seem lke a good idea, but i stole some wooden block ideas from tlogan ( I think) that I saw here.  I loop the rope around some 10" spikes that are hammered into the ground. They cinch up in a second and have not come loose yet. I had leftover 2x2 project wood that I was able to use.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 09:57:28 pm by audiobuff2 » Logged
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 09:10:42 am »

Nice job!

Looks very similar to mine, only bigger. I used BO cloth so the middle supports do not show through to the front at all. I used some leftover 2"x2" blocks from my basement buildout to make the tensining blocks. It's based on tent lines/pegs that I've seen. No big secret.

Tom 
gdmanry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 03:04:55 pm »

Mine is almost exactly like this one, and also has 3 poles running down the screen vertically for support.  I also use the Dazian fabric, and at night, with the TV going you don't even notice them at all.  You'd never even know they were there if had never seen the sreen before and came once it got going.

The only thing I can think of that I would suggest it the size.  If it is 20' wide then then height needs to like 12' or so to keep the 16:9 ration.  My sreen is 25' wide and I think we had to with 20' high to maintain the same ratio as 16:9.  I'm mathematically challended, so my son did the manth for me, but I bet someone on here could tell you the exact height you need to maintain 16:9 at 20' wide.

Question for you though.  Was the Dazian hard to sew?  Did it require special stictching or anything?  I use the grommets now, but don't like the spider web effect, so since I'm rebuilding anyway,  http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php/topic,504.0.html, I'd like to try something more along the pocket line.

Other than that suggestion, everything looks super!

gdm

JoeMcGin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 03:11:42 pm »

I was told you should use a zigzag stitch so the material can stretch. Otherwise the stitching will prevent it from stretching.

Joe
audiobuff2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 12:03:33 am »

Just a brief note on the stitching, as I am working with 4 quarters of Monday night football alcohol consumption affecting me.  The VERY nice ladies at Dazian said to 'stretch' the fabric as it was sewing with a straight stitch. That would create a 'pucker' when the material was relaxed, and be a normal looking bit when it was stretched across the pvc.  So far, that strategy has worked very well for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: