Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 02:16:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
91 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 02:16:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help..pool screen, distance  (Read 4703 times)
rtsmith99

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2006, 07:12:04 am »

Hello all,

Thank you for all the informative posts!  I enjoyed reading them.  I have been a bit overwhelmed about all the projector choices...I did go to the other site recommended and read the specifics on many of the projectors.  I am just getting started, not too mechanically inclined (although I can set up a stereo/home theater system) and want to surprise my husband for his birthday.  I would like to set up a screen on one side of the pool which means I would have to have a projector at least 40 ft away...how can I tell which projectors work at what distance and what the size of the screen needs to be?  I have been looking at projectors on ebay, as this seems the only lowcost source around?  I wrote down the min specs mentioned here and also a bit about lamp life...I guess you really have to factor that in...I saw some lamps going for $35 and others going for $400...quite a difference and I guess you really need to factor that in, in deciding which projector you buy?  I was thinking of going to home depot and getting a tarp and sewing the four sides so that I can stick pvc pipe through?  Anyone have a plan of something similar...I can see how to stretch the material, sew the channels after pinning them, but how would you do the stand?  How do you pool cage folks secure your movie screens?  Or do you have it freestanding?  I guess I need ideas on how to make a screen I could put up on the poolcage..alternatively, I was also thinking of just doing it in the backyard to begin with...we have a 6 ft white pvc fence I could afix a screen too..anyone used that?  I would guess I would need something to make the screen taller than the fence....just rambling on but trying to get started....
rtsmith99

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 09:27:28 am »

I broke down and got a Gemmy screen to start out with....looking around at the different projectors still....
aleuni

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 10:58:08 am »

The general rule of thumb is that your screen width will be 2x the distance for the projector.  In reverse that means that if you are 40 ft away from the screen your image will be 20ft wide.  That is a nice size.  But probably not pratical since I think you stated something about a screen cage. 

As for screens I think the consesus here is do the best you can afford.  You will probably upgrade it anyways. 

I personally lean towards the spandex material.
http://www.productionadvantageonline.com/softgds.htm
http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php/topic,323.0.html
You can get it 120" X ? for about $20 a yard.  No wrinkles since it streches and you can machine wash it.

Build a 10 X 20ft EMT frame (No cuts)with a cross bar in the middle.   EMT is electrical conduit you can find it anywhere (HD, lowes...)

Connector: I know there is a better source but I just got these pic for reference.
Horrible site to navigate -surplus city

http://www.hartnagels.com/pvc.htm

Then attach to your screen enclosure with tie wraps or drill some some hooks unto the screen frame for easy taking on and off.

Obvious you know you situation better I was just going on the info I extracted from your post.

I rough estimate of my set up would be:
Fabric 7 yards =$140
Emt = $36
Connectors=$40 (Big guess)

screen 10'x20' total under $200

You could go with wood (cheaper and heavier) and Drop cloth cheaper (I cannot speak about qualty I have never used it)

just some more info for you

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 11:00:43 am by aleuni » Logged

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
"No idea is a good idea, until it is your idea"
mdrsteve

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:19:41 pm »

A 40 foot throw distance is a lot for what you want to do.  Especially for the approx. 10' wide Gemmy.  Can the Gemmy handle rear projection?  If so, and if you have the room,  you may want to think about setting up a projector behind the screen instead of in front of it. 

As another option, it sounds like your planning to project lengthwise across your pool.  Can you go widthwise instead?

Good luck!  Keep asking questions, and keep us posted on your progress!
Danoplex II

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 02:59:28 pm »

I think you made a good choice with the Gemmy.  Now find out your projector and you are set.  At the top of this forum there is a link to a projector calculator.  It is pretty slick as it calculates your projector to screen distance and size of the screen you need.

It is under the tools tab at the top.

Dano

movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 03:12:18 pm »

You CANNOT do rear projection wit the Gemmy screens. The Sima screens will do both and come in two sizes but cost more.  I have a Sima screen and do both front and rear. The picture is good. Depending on the lay out will determine front or rear.  rg

rg
see you at the movies
aleuni

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 03:15:38 pm »

Oops I read the "broke down and bought the Gemmy" post I just did not read who posted it.  I would have gone with ...

A 40 foot throw distance is a lot for what you want to do.  Especially for the approx. 10' wide Gemmy.  Can the Gemmy handle rear projection?  If so, and if you have the room,  you may want to think about setting up a projector behind the screen instead of in front of it. 

As another option, it sounds like your planning to project lengthwise across your pool.  Can you go widthwise instead?

Good luck!  Keep asking questions, and keep us posted on your progress!

That is what I did in this post.  http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php/topic,389.msg2643/topicseen.html#newThe best part was that I had the projector set up in side the house away from all the elements including children

BTW 2 observations...1) it only took RTSmith 2hrs to breakdown.  Man I wish my wife would break down that quickly. 2) She found a Gemmy quicker than most of us here.  Didn't someone here drive 400 miles for one and still didn't get it.

ust a thought

* Dive-In.jpg (41.94 KB, 640x480 - viewed 369 times.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 04:38:39 pm by aleuni » Logged

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
"No idea is a good idea, until it is your idea"
gdmanry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 01:01:33 pm »

I have not posted in a while as I have been upgrading my system, but I had this problem as well.  My first solution was this.

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php/topic,228.0.html

Honestly it worked very well and I had no issues at all with the design of the arm, but the only way to focus was the focus ring on pj itself so I would have to constantly swing the arm in and out until I got the right focus.  Just for yuks one night I pulled the pj all the way back past the shallow end to see what it looked like and the picture was still tremendous, but too big for the screen I had.  Well, you  know what comes next....A BIGGER SCREEN!

The last few weeks I have enlarged the screen to about 27' X 15' or something and the picture fits perfect!  I have an Epson S3 pj that I got off EBAY for about $500 and it is plenty bright enough to throw the 50' or so from one end to the other.  Now I am moving the electronic cabinet that has my DVD, Amp, XBOX, and HD box to the new location behind the shallow end and I'll be in business.  Here is a pic of the new screen to give you an idea.  The DIRECTV guy made me take a pic of him standing with the screen so he could show his buds.  Maybe one day I'll learn to take a straight picture.

gdm

* scree.jpg (35.53 KB, 448x298 - viewed 385 times.)
rtsmith99

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 10:41:31 am »

Now that is a HUGE screen!  I love the way the guy is standing in front of the screen like "I made this....".  Yes, I did get the Gemmy fairly quickly...they can be had so cheaply now...on ebay with shipping included it was $175...I'm sure you can get them on closeout everywhere now....now, back to the pool...think for my next project, I want to try width-wise on the pool...we are only talking about 15 or a few feet more just to keep everything away from the water...would velcro be strong enough to stretch fabric out?  I was thinking of gluing velcro on the pool supports and then sewing velcro on the back of a large tarp?  But then again, that may be too heavy?  Can you even sew on that trapeze fabric or will it get a run like pantyhose?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: