Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 11:17:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
67 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:17:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D - any issues  (Read 5797 times)
40-Dan

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:31:17 am »

I've got a gig coming up in two weeks for a school, and they have requested that the 3D version of their chosen movie be shown.  I have been told that it's on DVD and requires the red/green glasses.

This won't present a problem, will it?  I don't see how, but figured someone here has done it a thousand times.

Thanks
Dan
madhousefilms

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:29:50 pm »

I haven't had much luck with it. the 3D is a littel off and the red/blue glasses give you a headache. Sort of like being back in the 1950's I think.

But kids usually don't mind those type things. LOL

Phil and Ray's West Mesa Drive-In
www.westmesadrivein.com
Paul16mm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:16:35 pm »

Test the DVD you will be showing with your projector first.  Color distortion might cause unacceptable ghosting.

Also be aware that different movies are set up for specific colors of glasses, be sure you get the correct colors.

BTW, don't malign the 3D movies of the 1950s; all of the 3-D features of that era were shown in dual projector interlocked polarized projection with a silver screen.  Only a very few novelty shorts were shown in the red/green anaglyph system.  The "red/green green glasses from the 1950s" story is a myth.  I have a pair of the original polarized glasses from Bwana Devil (1952).  The polarized 3-D movie system was introduced to the public at the 1939 New York World's Fair. 

madhousefilms

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:35:51 pm »

Guess I pressed the wrong button there...Wink

It was just a joke. But if I need a pair of glasses I know where to get em..LOL

www.westmesadrivein.com
gizmos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 05:04:28 pm »

I am looking to do something similar as well for a local school.  I have seen a few sites that sell lots of 50-100 glasses in your choice of red-blue or green-red, etc...  depending on the film... one site claims movie-branded anaglyph glasses... (Ie: polar express, journey to the center of the earth, etc...)

Has anyone had positive or negative experiences ordering from any of these sites? 

Example:  http://www.the3dmarket.com/DVD/default.asp

Also-  Kids seem willing to put up with a lot for the novelty of 3d....  As long as they have fun, sounds ok to me.

Paul16mm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 07:28:19 pm »

Sorry, Madhousefilms, I didn't mean to jump on you.

For 3-D glasses in quantity, I've heard many recommendations for buying direct from the folks that make them:
American Paper Optics http://www.3dglassesonline.com/
and Rainbow Symphony  http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/

40-Dan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:05:54 pm »

A bit more information...

The movie is "Fly Me to the Moon".  A 2008 animated job that I vaguely recall seeing a trailer for.  The school is responsible for getting both the movie (from Swank) and the glasses, therefore testing is going to be difficult/impossible.

I'm getting really nervous about this issue.  From a strictly business standpoint, nobody EVER mentioned 3D until yesterday (contract was signed 2 months ago), so I'm OK with saying I can't do it.  However, I really want to be able to give them what they want.  They ARE paying for it, and all.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:07:29 pm by 40-Dan » Logged
gizmos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:39:30 pm »

Sorry, Madhousefilms, I didn't mean to jump on you.

For 3-D glasses in quantity, I've heard many recommendations for buying direct from the folks that make them:
American Paper Optics http://www.3dglassesonline.com/
and Rainbow Symphony  http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/

Paul-

Thanks.  The e-commerce links on 3dglassesonline.com go to http://www.the3dmarket.com/DVD/default.asp which is what I had in my post.  This gives me a good comfort level and we will order from them.

-Bill
madhousefilms

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 04:55:50 pm »

Dan - I would contact the school and explain this is untried by you. And that a theater's 3D is much different than DVD 3D, etc.

But if I were you I would run out an buy a 3D movie and test it out in your yard or where ever you show movies.

In my 1 experience on my BYT it works but it gave me a headache. Occasionally the film image doubled instead of going 3D as is should (if that makes sense.) It did that off and on depending on the movement and depth of field. FYI - I was watching My Bloody Valentine....ha!

As a few of us said earlier, I doubt kids will be that upset about it.

Good luck!

www.westmesadrivein.com
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 09:04:05 pm »

I would contact the school and explain this is untried by you. And that a theater's 3D is much different than DVD 3D, etc.

MH makes a very good point.

Many people have experienced "RealD" 3D in theaters recently (Hannah Montana Concert, G-Force, Journey to the Center of the Earth, etc.).  RealD is really good.  Anaglyph 3D (red/blue glasses), that can be reproduced on home projectors, is nothing like RealD that's in theaters.  RealD requires digital projection equipment with a special active polarizing filter, a custom screen to recover gain loss and maintain the polarization, and of course those special RealD polarized glasses.  That's why many mega-plexes only have one or two screens that are 3D-capable.

Anaglyph 3D can be a hoot for the novelty, but I personally would rather watch the non-3D version of the film.  I don't know what format of 3D "Fly Me To The Moon" used in theaters.  However, I heard if you take away the 3D effects from that movie it's pretty much a dog.  So, go 3D on that one or bust I suppose!

-Sparge-
Dennis

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 11:33:11 pm »

...but what are we going to do next year when "UP" is on the BYT playbill???  Think there will be a 2D version or will we have to move to 3D?

Ultimately the pessimist may be proven right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip!
Adult Beverage

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:13:57 am »

The 3D movies I have bought so far include 4 sets fo the paper glasses.  The discs contain both the 2D and the 3D versions of the movie.  I imagine this would continue for a while.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer.  Watch this!!"
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 01:42:16 pm »

...but what are we going to do next year when "UP" is on the BYT playbill???  Think there will be a 2D version or will we have to move to 3D?

I didn't realize "Up" even came out in 3D.  We saw it in 2D in theaters.

I expect most film releases to DVD will be available in both 2D and 3D formats as is presently the norm.

-Sparge-
madhousefilms

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 01:46:01 pm »

I would be curious to see if 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' comes out in 2D. It was so over the top 3D in its imaging* a lot would be lost in 2D.

*This comment, BTW, is by no means endorsing this crappy movie. Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:49:08 pm by madhousefilms » Logged

www.westmesadrivein.com
gizmos

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 02:02:11 pm »

Sparge-

A lot of 3D Disney films didn't get a 3d home release... Concert films aside (Jonas and Hanna Montanna fee fi fobanna)-

Blue/DVD of Up, Bolt, etc... have not had 3d releases announced...

I think Disney is waiting until something better than Anaglyph hits the home...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: