Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 03:27:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
108 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:27:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any former DI projectionists ou there?  (Read 13874 times)
dredpiraterobts

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 01:47:39 pm »

(If this shows up as a repost, I apolgize, I'm not sure how the forum works here.)

Hi,

Yeah this is an old topic, but it caught my eye. Hope someone reads this. But if not, they're only 1s and 0s, no great loss.

I was a projectionist for one summer back in about 1982. I think it was 1982 because all of the movie posters that I kept from the day were from 1982 (I think, I was looking yesterday at e-bay movie poster auctions and it seemed as though that was the year. Turns out they were a great investment, I bought them for around $5 a piece and now some of them are going for $5.99! woo-hoo!)

My old man bought a drive-in in way the heck upstate NY on Lake Champlain after he "retired" from his job. It was a great tax dodge for him and the plan went somewhat as expected, and a lot not so much!

So I took a summer and I worked for him there. I have great memories of the summer. But the projectors aren't two of them! They were (are sort of still are) the carbon arc glass mirror projectors that are so much fun to be around on a hot summer's night. The replacement parts were (at least I was told they were) hard to come by. and I was just learning how to do everything at once, so more than once the carbons smoked the mirror so that the beach scenes looked like a vampire would feel right at home.

I got better. I got pretty good, not perfect but pretty good.

movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 05:18:21 pm »

I was a projectionist in the 60's both D-I's and hardtops.

rg
see you at the movies
dredpiraterobts

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 04:28:30 pm »

Since it was back in '82 I guess I can admit now that, I made friends with the advertising sales rep for the local paper. (not much of a shock, I'm a likeable character, we were about the same age and he was trying to sell advertising!)

Keep in mind I guess, that since my father owned the drive in, I was a whole lot more than just the projectionist. Being the projectionist was just what I got to do after I had worked all day maintaining the drive in or whatever other project dad had in his mind and before I closed the place up after the last show.

We had a snack bar that was open during the day too. My little sister tells the stories of her battles with the soft serve ice cream machine, and the public.

Anyway so we were showing "Alien" and the salesman and I were both into Science Fiction, he was working his way through art school and we were both fans of HR Giger.

One neat little trick that every projectionist has to get good at quick is splicing. Some of the films that we got for the second run movies were in ruff shape! (I'm sure projectionists know what I'm talking about!)

So those movies won't miss just one frame of a good shot of the Alien! How would they ever even know? (unless they're reading this now! In which case they should know, I lie a lot! Grin ) So there's me and Ted, chopping out the frames as we're rushing to get all the other stuff done that you need to do setting up the next reel and manually adjusting the rods because the equipment is less than automatic feed, rewind the reel so it's ready for tomorrow night, change the spent carbon rod in down projector (or try to calculate that you have enough rod for the next reel, horns will be honking if you figured wrong!) And then be back in time for those white dots. (I love watching old movies on the TeeVee just to see the white dots! Am I right?) Good times!

I really don't know what he ever did with them He could have mounted them in a Slide frame and projected them. He could have used them to print up pictures. Probably, he lost them when he went back to art school.

If we're still here I 'll tell you about the auroras one night.
rawod

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 08:46:51 pm »

I was a projectionist == starting in the 8th grade, through high school, and at a towns single cinima.  All were carbon arc.  I can VIVIDLY remember the sound and smell of lighting them up.  Made me jump.

The party, the people, the movie (and Hot Dogs)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: