Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 05:37:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
102 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:37:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather and Temperature  (Read 6183 times)
gwaligorski

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2006, 01:29:26 pm »

I am looking to have a little halloween party at my house on Oct 14th.  What I am really worried about is the drop in temperatures and condensation on the equipment.  Anyone have any worries about this for your theater or solutions to keep your equipment in good condition.  Right now I have a table out in the yard that has my projector, stereo, and DVD player.  Then I run the speaker wires from there to the screen for the front speakers.  Basically looking for suggestions on how to keep this from happening besides not showing a movie.
kelemvor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 02:51:43 pm »

As long as the equipment isn't sitting on the ground you should be OK.  I have a little cart that I set everything on and it works fine.  Speaker cables don't matter if they are on the ground since they are shielded.

cheftom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 06:45:40 pm »

when I show a movie and feel that condensation will build up on the equipment, I set up my rack under an ez-up and the rack sits up on a small folding table.

When Excellence is Available, Good is Not Enough
rrg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 07:59:26 pm »

There are manufactures that impliment a dew sensor that turns off the device when it's too wet. I had a panasonic VCR not turn on after I brought it down stairs in the basement. A little tiny led turned on "Dew". As soon as the device came up to temp and humidity, it worked fine.

Some pj's could have a feature like this.

MY SETUP| Screen: Regular Trapeze  - Frame: 10'x20' EMT stand - Projector: BenQ mp720p - DVD: LG 511 - Sound: 5.1 Yamaha Reciever
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:41:32 am »

I ran a Halloween triple fature last year that ran until almost midnight. It got so cold one of th neighbors went and got his portable fire pit and the last holdouts were all huddled under blankets arounfd the fire. No problems with the projector. I would just be careful to let it cool down completely before packing away, and even then, I let it sit out at room temp overnight before actually packing it away.

Tom
gwaligorski

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:58:16 am »

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I was just worried about it hurting the projector by possibly being cold.
kelemvor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 11:10:49 am »

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I was just worried about it hurting the projector by possibly being cold.

The cold won't hurt it unless the projector is literally freezing and then you turn it on...  But the moisture from condensation when it gets cold out could definitely hurt things which is why it works well to keep it off the ground.

Danoplex II

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 03:41:22 pm »

Not that I am a know it all..I am just a simple Backyard Theater Felon but....

If it is actually freezing outside there really probably will not be any problem with condensation as the relative humidity will be low and the dewpoint will be very low.  Dewpoint is where the surface temperature of something is cold enough for the moisture in the air to collect on that surface by condensation.  Good example would be a glass with ice water in it sitting on a table in the humid summer....the glass surface area is cool enough to allow the airborn moisture to collect and condense.  If you have a cold night and the outdoor air humidity is low you will not have a problem.  There is a chart called the psychrometric charts that shows a curve where you can calculate exactly what the dewpoint is going to be.  I am sure if you googles dewpoint it may have a place that will aloow you to enter temps and himidities and will calculate the dew point.

End of dewpoint lesson.

Dano

gdmanry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 01:46:45 pm »

Ha Ha.  Dano, the backyard theatre official Meteorologist.  I love it!

Now I know who to go to with all my weather questions!  Grin

gdm
hiredpower
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 08:56:15 pm »

What I am really worried about is the drop in temperatures and condensation on the equipment. 

gwaligorski,

As Dano has so eloquently eluded, this is not what you have to worry about.

What you should be concerned with, however is:

(from a proxima manual) "moving the projector from a cool temperature location to a warm temperature location that may result in moisture condensating on the lens.   In such an event, leave the projector OFF and wait until the condensation disappears."

In other words, you may want to clean your lens after it has warmed back up.

On a somewhat related note...I don't know if this is how other projectors are built, but I was informed that the lens on my NEC is sealed. Dust and smoke should never be an issue with it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 08:58:35 pm by hiredpower » Logged
hiredpower
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 09:01:05 pm »

Ha Ha.  Dano, the backyard theatre official Meteorologist.  I love it!

Now I know who to go to with all my weather questions!  Grin

gdm

Apparently, you should have asked him a little sooner today?

Sorry gdm,   Sad

I just found it ironic, considering what happened to your setup later in the day.  Cry
Danoplex II

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 12:30:15 pm »

GDM and Kieth,

Please don't confuse me with a weatherman (or woman).  I am just a simple heating and a/c guy on the geeky controls end of it.  But with outdoor weather it is important to know why temperature and humidity effects the inside.

And Kieth is right about going out of the A/C in the summer into the heat and humidity of the summer with the equipment.  Similar to being in a nice cool house and going out with glasses and they frog up.

Dano

gdmanry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 01:21:33 pm »

HiredPower, you couldn't be more correct.  It's so Ironic it's almost spooky!

gdm
aleuni

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 01:13:16 am »

I bumped into this researching exploding bulbs...
http://projector.lifetips.com/cat/59693/projector-lamp-tips/

Make your projector lamp last: Avoid hazardous climates
The most hazardous climate to a projector lamp is extreme cold in the wintertime. If you leave a data/video projector in your car when it's 40 degrees or below, the data/video projector lamp will have a tendency to explode if you turn the projector on immediately. You must allow the data/video projector to warm to room temperature before turning on the projector to avoid the dangerous scenario of an exploding projector lamp.

Not sure if this is your senerio.  I would have to accidently leave my projector in the freezer to accomplish this.  I am actually looking forward to winter to get a little less rain, cooler nights, and earlier start time. 

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
"No idea is a good idea, until it is your idea"
kelemvor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 08:44:45 am »

If you leave a data/video projector in your car when it's 40 degrees or below, the data/video projector lamp will have a tendency to explode if you turn the projector on immediately.

This works for laptops too.  If the LCD freezes and you turn it on, it will literally shatter inside and look just like a broken window.  Kind of cool if you have a really good warranty.  heh.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: