Backyard Theater Forum
December 17, 2017, 06:24:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
99 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 06:24:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: trying to configure behringer mx882  (Read 10607 times)
shmo

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2010, 08:42:30 pm »

Hi guys,

I am trying to setup for a Bingo night...was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how to configure my behringer mx882, crown amplifier and speakers to be able to use with a microphone?

I would "guess" that it should be doable....I just don't know how...haha

Thanks in advance for any input,
SHMO
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:40:46 pm »

The most common form of microphones (dynamic) produce output voltages in the micro-volt range.  This is considerably lower than the milli-volt to whole volt range of line level signals (i.e. CD, DVD players).  Typical microphones require preamp circuitry to bring their lower signal level up to line level.

The MX882 wasn't designed to support microphones.  It doesn't contain any microphone preamp circuits.

You have a few options:

1. Use a microphone that produces a line level signal.  There are powered and/or wireless microphones that produce a line level signal.  Those will plug right into the MX882.  However, I'm not finding any examples of line level mics right now.

2. Purchase a microphone preamp and use a standard dynamic microphone.  Mic preamps can be pricey though.  A good one like the ART TPS II will run about $175.

3. Perhaps the simplest/cheapest option is to pick up a simple two-channel mixer with built-in mic preamp for about $50-60:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350354955180

-Sparge-
shmo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:01:26 am »

Well,

there is one more thing I never realized. I learn something new everyday on here, which is good in the whole scheme of things. So, I guess this leads me into a couple more questions.

First, I will ask the questions about the cheapest route, the 2-channel mixer. Obviously this is another piece or equipment to lug around, but along with that, will it be more confusing to use and connect to my current setup? I'm guessing I would incorporate it with my current MX882 and therefore there would be more cabling, setup and understanding involved? Ideally, I would like to be able to play audio content in conjunction with the microphone. Is this going to be more of the "flip this switch...turn those dials...don't forget to hit this or that thing-a-ma-jig"? More confusion is something I would like to stay away from at this point

With the dedicated pre-amp, cost is the obvious limiter, so I won't even bother going there. However, is there any strong reason to consider this route?

This brings me to the line level mic. For a lay person like me, this sounds like it would make the most sense. Would it literally be plug and play with my current setup? I have done a little searching, and I am not exactly sure what a powered mic would require to make it line level. Would I be looking at something like this? http://www.avalive.com/Audio-Technica/MB-4k-c/22276/productDetail.php?utm_source=googleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=MB-4k-c Any reason not to consider this route, other than the slightly higher cost?

I have a final question, and this one is the kicker. What would SPARGE do in my situation?...haha...shoulda just asked that and skipped everything else. I'll go get my credit card ready for your reply.

Thanks,
SHMO
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 06:23:02 am »

I have a final question, and this one is the kicker. What would SPARGE do in my situation?

Hmm... scope creep...

Given the equipment and rack case you already have...

And assuming you'll need the use of a microphone more than just this one time...

Then I'd probably spend $99 on this:

http://www.cortex-pro.com/mix_r1u.php

It's a simple 1U two-channel stereo mixer with built-in microphone preamp.  I believe you still have at least 1U of useable space in your rack case.

Also as I recall, you're planning to go to more than 2.0 with your BYT set up at some point.  So, you'll want to keep the MX882 for that.  That means the above Cortex mixer would be used in addition to the MX882.

I also recall you have two BD/DVD players.  One you intended to use for preshows and such.  The Cortex unit would give you some options.  First, it let's you connect a standard dynamic microphone.  Second, connecting both players to the Cortex would let you use its crossfader DJ style for music.  The Cortex also has some basic tone controls (bass/treble) that would give you a little more control when playing music.

Every time you add another piece of equipment to the mix it almost always increases the complexity of operation in that you'll need to know how to set which knobs and buttons for what purpose.  However, in this case adding the Cortex might simplify things a bit at least in one regard by making the signal flow more intuitive.  The main stereo outputs of both players would connect to the Cortex.  The Cortex's stereo output would connect to channels 1 & 2 on the MX882 which in turn would go to your Crown amplifier.  You'd use the cross fader on the Cortex to select (or fade) between your two players.  The remaining BYT channels from your primary player (center, sub, left surr, right surr) would still connect directly to channels 3, 4, 5, and 6 on the MX882 and those would go to amps or powered speakers you'd add down the road to augment your BYT.  With this design you wouldn't need to use the main inputs on the MX882 to mix in that second player anymore.

By the way, the microphone you found is a powered condenser mic but it still only produces a mic-level output.  So, it would still need a preamp.

-Sparge-
shmo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:42:30 pm »

As always, thanks a bunch!

SHMO
shmo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »

Digging up my old thread!

For the last several years, my BYT setup has been just phenomenal. It still tickles me, everytime I fure up that projector and turn the volume up! I have left it pretty much configured as it was originally setup, with the exception of upgrading or replacing a components here and there.  With that said, I have never added that darn microphone that I was planning for in 2010!!

It is outdoor movie season here, and I am looking to make some upgrades. After years of use, I have found the 2.1 sound to be more than adequate for our needs. What I would like to do, is add that microphone, and also be able to incorporate a laptop or MP3 player into this setup, for our occasional dances that we have. So, I am wondering if Sparges advice, from way back, still holds true. Or, would I be better off looking at a new mixer, that supports everything. I don't think I will ever need ALL of the channels, because I foresee myself staying with 2.1 sound until the wheels fall off. Any advice is always appreciated

SHMO
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 01:14:08 pm »

I own the MX882 as well and swapped it out this year for the ART MX624 (http://artproaudio.com/mixers/product/mx624/). This gives me 6-channels of stereo inputs (with options for mics) as well as 4-channels of output so should I want to send separate center/sub mixes to the front I can do so. I think this is the best of both worlds. The slightly cheaper ART MX622 is a good mixer as well and I used it for a long time, but it only gives you three stereo inputs.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
shmo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 01:35:06 pm »

Thank you,

I will check out those models. I appreciate your input!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: