Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 07:56:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
105 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 07:56:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Poll
Question: As the host or hostess, what's most important to you?
Your audio (sound) quality. - 18 (6.5%)
Your video (projection) quality. - 107 (38.4%)
Your party quality. - 105 (37.6%)
Your movie selection. (The movie itself) - 49 (17.6%)
Total Voters: 274

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backyard Theater Host/Hostess Poll  (Read 89545 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2005, 11:13:09 pm »

Just for grins...
DigiMark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 04:03:11 pm »

It was hard to choose between audio and picture quality -- I believe they are equally important. I also leave the party details (food, guest list, etc.) to the missus while I fiddle with the controls. -Gary

desert-dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 12:06:53 pm »

I feel like Gary does - very difficult choice - all the aspects of the experience are obviously important - but if pressed to choose only one -

I believe it's the picture in a close race - there's something about a giant 10' or bigger screen showing a movie - it fascinates even the sceptical and mildly interested (read: the wife)

---mike
cheftom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 04:20:06 pm »

Picture is most important, but sound is right there also.

When Excellence is Available, Good is Not Enough
Harlock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 04:14:37 pm »

Hi all,
I put picture quality since its the hardest to achieve,  especially for those of us, like me, who don't have humongous incomes and buying an hugely expensive projector would mean blowing the family fortune or selling the car.
JoeMcGin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 09:25:50 pm »

I also agree that it's video that's most important. But the good thing is impressive video can be much less expensive than impressive audio. My entire Video setup cost me less than $400. Thats for a used HD projector and a 7'x12' screen. I bet there are people here that did it for even less. Although I haven't spent anything on my outdoor HT audio cause I'm using old equipment I already had. So I guess I'm contradicting myself since I spent so much more for video than audio. But the audio is definitely not impressive in my current setup. Especially when compared to a 160" HD picture.

I think I need to upgrade my audio.

Joe
rrg

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:37:06 pm »

I would say video screen first from experience. I used PC 3.1 speakers one night and another night 5.1 house speakers and everyone only talks about the screen outside. Generally everyone can have speakers outside. It's the screen that makes it unique. Especially anything bigger than a bed sheet is bound to be different.

MY SETUP| Screen: Regular Trapeze  - Frame: 10'x20' EMT stand - Projector: BenQ mp720p - DVD: LG 511 - Sound: 5.1 Yamaha Reciever
fishwomin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 01:11:36 pm »

I think the video is most important, followed by the sound.  My husband believes sound is most important, of course he is a fanatic about his home theater system sound qualities.  Party atmosphere is next,  you have to have the right theme to go with the movie.  I can't wait for this years movie season.

Kris Cheesy
Ro-Man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 07:53:58 pm »

I'm gonna have to go with the movie selection(s). Of course, this is before my first swarray, so we'll see how that changes in a couple of weeks.

For me though, a drive-in atmosphere ain't no fun without the drive-in quality movie...i.e.- B-movies, horror movies, sci-fi movies...stuff from the 50s-70s. I personally cannot stand that the only drive-ins that exist anymore only show family-friendly, first-run flicks. But, that's my tastes too. I just miss not ever being able to catch those low-budget, roadshow flicks that used to go around (such as David Friedman stuff, or William Castle pictures).

And no, I'm actually 30 years old...I just prefer the "vintage" stuff.

Ben
Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 09:05:31 pm »

Definitely, the picture. It has to be BIG and BRIGHT.

As for audio, I love having volume, good sound quality and a thumping subwoofer. But I saw dozens of films at the drive-in as a kid, listening to a crappy five-inch speaker hung on the car window, driven through a low-fidelity amp. The expectations have risen greatly, in general, so you probably couldn't get away with that, but it doesn't have to be golden ears audio to have a great time.

Personally, I wish I could afford 30 lawn chairs that are as comfortable as the seats in our Pontiac station wagon....

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
memphisdrivein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 06:43:25 am »

Interesting results , since 90% of the improvements in theatrical presentation  has been in the audio due to our keen aural perception .

I still vote for both, all though I would sacrifice visual (to an extent) over sound. One of the reasons we use FM stereo, and 1200 speakers at our commercial theater.

Drive In Dave

Biagio

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 03:59:28 pm »

As an Speech pathologist / Audiologist Id have to say food and ambience. Most people are blown away by a 143" screen in someones back yard and to some of you guys thats small. I could put my mcintosh set up outside but people seem to be satisfied and actually blown away by my older marantz. I prefer to have a theme, usually for me its mexican or caribean food and drinks, I put the old vendo-81 and my 50s candy machine outside with free pop and candy for the kids some coronas in the top of the vendo for us adults set up the soda fountain and just have a good time. I guess for me its more the atmosphere than really watching the movie, Oh Iam a newbie to the backyard thing but Iam freaking out about how cool this is going ot be. Ive done these parties but alwyas inside this year is going to kick ass.
Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 04:29:47 pm »

You've got it. After a while, the big screen and the lawn chairs and the popcorn get to be part of the scenery. But if you put on a good show - choose and theme and do creative stuff with it - they'll rave every time.

I did this once just to see if anyone noticed and I got a lot of great comments. Actually, the last film we showed ("March of the Penguins") had its own theme cartoon included on the DVD (Bugs Bunny takes a penguin to the South Pole), so I didn't have to search for one. But afterwards, someone asked "how do you always find these great things that go together?" It was easy that time, but those comments make it worthwhile.

Next up: "Help!", with "Johnny Bagpipes" (a 20-minute short about a heavy metal bagpiper) and an ad from Epiphone guitars featuring a new Paul McCartney signature acoustic guitar. The ad features Paul playing "Jenny Wren". Should be a blast!

For our last film of the season, we're showing "Sky Captain", so the extras will be on the theme of retro sci-fi. I'm thinking that previews for "Steamboy" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" would be about right, along with a "Duck Dodgers" cartoon.

I know that's not what the question was originally, but maybe it should have been. Good call, Biagio.

Biagio

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 05:41:14 pm »

I need to check out this "help" short, Iam surprised I havent seen it on IFC and Iam lookingup Johnny Bagpipes right now, sounds very cool. Ill have to have greg gaffin over for that one.

Ive found my people its taken 34 years to find you all but your here. I got my taxes back this year and decided "its time for a ducati or guzzi maybe an agusta" but after thinking about it and being a new dad I figured, no a ducati is fun for one but a projector and a big screen is cheaper and can be fun for a whole fashizle load of people. Iam soo glad i found this site, I now feel a little more normal.
Bill

P.S. my neighbor just won a contest and has a Punk Band comming "out of options" they play the warpt tour nothing fancy, but Iam trying to figure out a good movie to show in the background. quadrophinia the wall ?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 05:44:31 pm by Biagio » Logged
Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 06:41:37 pm »

OK, youngster, listen up.  Wink

"Help!" is a full-length movie starring "The Beatles", which was this band that had some hits in the 1960s. That's the feature film.

"Johnny Bagpipes" is the short film, which I saw at a film festival several years ago and ordered on DVD from (wait for it, now) http://johnnybagpipes.com/. I don't find his web site particularly inspirational, but the film is freakin hilarious. Our exchange student from India fell off the couch laughing when he was talking about opening for Metallica, with some blue backlighting and a fog machine, with his kilt whipping in the wind. (Click on that link to see the preview.) Ignore the other junk on the web site and order the DVD and laugh 'til you hurt.

The projector is definitely a great choice compared to a bike. That's the right decision for a family man!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: