Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 11:10:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
76 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:10:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drive-in reopening!  (Read 14335 times)
Glen

Showtime at the Multiplex

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:10:28 pm »

The two remaining drive-in's in the greater Cincinnati area came back to life this weekend after one of the worst winters I can remember. The Holiday and Starlite drive-in's are both great venues.

* aaa (3).jpg (479.56 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 438 times.)

Hug yer little ones each and every day...
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 12:09:45 am »

I've been to the Holiday.  Nice little place.  It's been awhile though... they still had the buses out front when we were there.  I was down there picking up a JBL subwoofer for my BYT.  Smiley

On a similar note, our local drive-in opened this weekend as well.  We caught Hop and Little Fockers on Friday night.  A rather odd pairing in my opinion.

-Sparge-
nevinh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:18:18 am »

Sparge went to the Aut-O-Rama and was viewing screen# 1. I see they raised their price this year.

The Holiday had been open for a few weeks, but the starlite just opened back up this weekend, along with the Hi-road in kenton, the lynn, and a few others

Check out OhioDrive-ins.com. I usually have the showtimes updated by wednesday. However this week was friday evening.
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:31:19 am »

Sparge went to the Aut-O-Rama and was viewing screen# 1. I see they raised their price this year.

Correct on all three counts.  They raised adults to $9 but kids are still $3.  That's still a bargain for two movies!  Try to take a family of four to see a single movie at a hardtop for $24!  Their outside food and beverage permit went up to $6 as well.  Never needed that myself.  We always avail ourselves of the snack bar!

-Sparge-
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 11:37:08 am »

OK nevinh , Glenn & Sparge.......tell the truth!.............How many of your kids are named after the drive-ins? Wink
nevinh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:38:58 am »

Correct on all three counts.  They raised adults to $9 but kids are still $3.  That's still a bargain for two movies!  Try to take a family of four to see a single movie at a hardtop for $24!  Their outside food and beverage permit went up to $6 as well.  Never needed that myself.  We always avail ourselves of the snack bar!

-Sparge-
yeah there snack bar is very nice
nevinh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:39:52 am »

OK nevinh , Glenn & Sparge.......tell the truth!.............How many of your kids are named after the drive-ins? Wink
single - no kids, still a kid at heart
Glen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:00:44 am »

We always splurge at the snack bars.  I love it, the kids love it, it's part of the experience and most importantly...it keeps the drive-ins alive year after year.  Pictured below is the last drive-in I had the pleasure of working (the Dixie Gardens in Fort Wright, KY.)  I'm honored to say that I was the last projectionist to run carbon arc w/ 20 min. reels at this landmark theatre.  I almost cried like a little girl when it was demolished.  The next day, I scoured through the rubble and rescued over 50 window speakers and some signage from certain death...nothing else could be saved.

* aaa (2).jpg (480.05 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 452 times.)

* aaa (1).jpg (615.48 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 437 times.)

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 09:14:26 am »

The Connecticut drive-ins for those of you from the “nutmeg state
http://www.driveinmovie.com/CT.htm
” I only remember going to one drive-in movie during college. I might have been to one other in my life but that’s it.

This is going to sound crazy but how do you watch a drive-in movie family style. How can you see from the back seat (kids) etc?  Any tips on when to get there, food etc. Are there places to sit outside the car? How do you handle the weather? Do you bring wireless audio or use what they have at the drive-in? You have all got me interested in going to drive-ins with the family.

I guess I need ……..Drive-in 101 or Drive-in for idiot's Roll Eyes advice.

Thanks in advance Richard

Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:22:28 am »

This is going to sound crazy but how do you watch a drive-in movie family style. How can you see from the back seat (kids) etc?  Any tips on when to get there, food etc. Are there places to sit outside the car? How do you handle the weather? Do you bring wireless audio or use what they have at the drive-in? You have all got me interested in going to drive-ins with the family.

Here are some facts/tips from how we do it with a family of four (kids are 9 & 12) in no particular order...

1. We have a mini-van.  Note that mini-vans, SUVs, and other large vehicles generally have restrictions on where they should park (normally all the way to the front or after some particular row toward the rear).

2. On cool or rainy nights we sit in the vehicle.

3. I take an allen wrench with me to temporarily remove the rearview mirror from the windshield.  That helps with the view for those sitting in the back.

4. We clean the windshield outside as needed and inside at least once a season.

5. Kids move up to the front two seats, Mom and Dad move to the middle seats.  We temporarily remove the headrests from the front seats to not interfere with the view from the middle seats.  The kids are still short enough that their heads don't get in the way.  We recline the middle seats a little bit to get a good view of the screen.  The back seats remain empty with the possible exception of storage for sleeping bags, blankets, coats, etc.

6. Take a roll of paper towels to wipe up spills, use as napkins, clean the windshield, etc.

7. We turn off the dome light at the beginning of the show so we can get in and out of the van (potty breaks, concession stand runs) without the interior lights coming on.  If you have parking or headlights that come on when you open or unlock the doors PLEASE figure out how to defeat that function before coming to the drive-in!  It's VERY annoying!  Check your owner's manual!

8. Be careful about bringing food with you.  Some drive-ins do not permit it, some charge a fee, some don't care.  Read your drive-in's rules.  Support your local drive-in by purchasing snacks and drinks at the concession stand!

9. Read your drive-in's rules.

10. Most factory car stereos sound pretty good these days.  We use the factory radio in the van for sound.  Very few drive-ins actually have or use window speakers these days.

11. On warmer nights we bring lawn chairs and sit outside the vehicle.  One should sit directly in front of their vehicle - not to either side as that blocks space for other vehicles.

12. When we sit outside we park the minivan backwards and open the rear hatch.  That allows us to hear the sound from the car radio.  We also use the back area of the van as an end table of sorts.  If you have a vehicle where the hatch rises significantly above the roof of the vehicle it may block another's view.  Bring rope to tie it down if needed.

13. Dress the kids in their PJs.  That way when they fall asleep they're already good to go!

14. If you're going to sit outside in the Summer then bring PIC and/or bug spray to keep away the mosquitos.

15. Stand up and place your hand over your heart when they play the Star Spangled Banner!

16. The earlier you get there the better spot you'll get.  We prefer to position ourselves toward the rear.  It puts us closer to the concession stand and restrooms.

17. Pay attention to any deals/specials.  For instance, at our drive-in it costs $6.75 for a large plastic movie-themed tub of popcorn.  It's more than enough for our family of four.  The trick is you can bring that tub back once for a FREE refill - even on a different night (or season).  They mark the bottom of the tub when you refill it (so you can't refill it more than once).  That savings makes a large tub of popcorn cost less than $3.50!  Watch for other buy one get one specials on admission and concessions.  On opening weekend we got a pass for a free adult admission on another visit, free fountain drinks with our sandwich purchases, free coffee, and $1.00 refill on a previously marked tub of popcorn.

18. Sign up for your drive-in's mailing list if they have one.  You'll get info on the movies showing, showtimes, and specials being offered.

19. Be sure to turn your key to the "accessory" position, not the "ignition on" position.  The latter will drain your battery by the end of the evening.

20. Have fun and remember the drive-in is as much about the experience as the movies!

-Sparge-
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:57:57 am »

Sparge as always thanks a million! You could publish this! I would think on a hot humid night or a night with some rain in the forecast that this would be a nice alternative plan to BYT. One of our two theaters is only around 35 to 40 minutes away.

I have spent many hours figuring out tailgating procedures (when I had a job) but never gave any thought to drive-ins.  I hope we can do this this summer!   Thanks again Richard
Glen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10:27 pm »

Before we even leave the house, I pack the duffel bag using the drive-in duffel bag check list:
  4 blankets
  2 sleeping bags
  2 lawn chairs (for the adults)
  Battery powered FM radio
  Flashlight
  Bug repellent
  Roll of paper towels
  Frisbee
  Football
  1 large trash bag 
  First aid kit

As soon as we get our tickets, we pull into the first row and drop everything off in the grass.  Then, we set up our "camp" in the grass area directly in front of our car.  Throw a little fribee, toss a little football and then over to the playground for a bit.  From there we hit the snack bar and then we get ourselves situated just in time for the movie.  The kids like to sprawl out on the blankets.  Mommy and I like the lawn chairs.

* aaa (3).jpg (479.56 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 412 times.)

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 09:35:58 pm »

Before we even leave the house, I pack the duffel bag using the drive-in duffel bag check list:
  4 blankets
  2 sleeping bags
  2 lawn chairs (for the adults)
  Battery powered FM radio
  Flashlight
  Bug repellent
  Roll of paper towels
  Frisbee
  Football
  1 large trash bag 
  First aid kit

As soon as we get our tickets, we pull into the first row and drop everything off in the grass.  Then, we set up our "camp" in the grass area directly in front of our car.  Throw a little fribee, toss a little football and then over to the playground for a bit.  From there we hit the snack bar and then we get ourselves situated just in time for the movie.  The kids like to sprawl out on the blankets.  Mommy and I like the lawn chairs.

Glen: It sounds like fun. thanks Richard
nevinh

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 09:44:35 pm »

This is a lawn chair

* 100_2824_edit.JPG (92.85 KB, 640x480 - viewed 459 times.)
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 10:20:33 pm »

This is a lawn chair

Hahahaha That is some chair.....I would fall a sleep in that chair
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: