Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 01:59:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
88 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 01:59:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for advice on a "One of a kind" pair  (Read 3755 times)
dredpiraterobts

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2011, 02:20:30 pm »

Hi, good afternoon.

I don't know that this is the proper thing to do (being a noob and starting a thread) but here's my story.

Back in the late '70s early '80s my father bought a Drive In theater in way the heck upstate NY. He ran it for a number of years (some would say until he ran out of children that would work for/talk to him, but there were nine of us so that bought him some time Wink )

Anyway, he eventually folded the DI and sold the property, but he took the projectors when he left. I don't know why. I don't think he ever really expected to create a new DI especially no with the old carbon arc projectors that are probably from the early fifties anyway.

My dear father (we got over it) passed this past summer and now we're in the process of cleaning up the old homestead and preparing it for whatever comes next. And there they are. the pair of projectors.

Essentially there are three key pieces. The Base where the rectifiers are. The body where the arcs and the mirrors "are" (meaning I think they're still there but I can't swear to it right now. I read the thread about the guy bidding for the digital projectors on e-bay. Don't want to mislead anybody.) and the camera with the lens and the reels etc etc.

At first I was "off to the recycling bin with them," but it came to my mind that this might be something that backyard theater buffs might like (or indeed a home theater enthusiast) I was familiar with the hobby because i essentially have a "home theater" set up in my home as my main TV. And so I have cruised these sites on the web before.

Here's the thing. I'm figuring that the projector would make a really "neat" A/V cabinet, holding your projector and your audio and video source plus a subwoffer and an amp. You could even project out of the hull (I'm not saying you'd use the projector to project, but that you'd house your digital project within and shoot the image out where the lens would be) I would think that you couldn't use the analog projector lens in the the focal  length is waaaay too long.

And so I ask you for your advice. Is this something that an enthusiast might be interested in? and If I were to put one of these up on E-bay, what sort of price would you think I should ask? There is a guy with a DI projector on E-bay and he's looking for $750 Mine are much better than his.

I (and my widowed mother) appreciate any guidance you can give us on this.

Thank you,
DPR
tscoff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 05:26:28 am »

Post it on eBay with photos and a statement that you don't know if they work or not because you didn't turn them on.  Be completely honest and set a reserve price of $600 or so plus shipping and see what happens.

Gil V

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:17:23 am »

Put up another thread here. Use the words "Drive In Projector Info". Post a couple of pictures.

You'll find what you want here, but your thread name makes it unlikely that the right people will see your message.

Give it a couple of days. You've come to the right place to get your questions answered.
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:52:29 am »

Please list the items by their right names. Lamp house, head, magizines, etc.

rg
see you at the movies
dredpiraterobts

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:20:47 am »

Thanks, folks.

I expect I'll get some pictures tomorrow and then I'll repost on a more appropriately titled thread.

DPR
ra420

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:48:28 am »

Your definitely getting some very good advice. My wife and i buy and sell allot of items on eBay, we even bought our pj and screen off eBay. we always read the ads very carefully and we tend to ask questions and do research on the items when are buying and selling. we have always been very satisfied with the all items we have purchased. the moral to this story is be prepared to answer questions give a detailed description and be honest about the item a pissed off buyer can complain to pay pall and hold up your transaction, freeze your pay pal account ect! Do not let people try to do the transaction outside of ebay/ pay pall, i learned this the hard way and lost a couple of hundred dollars trying to save a couple of bucks. oh yea be very sure of what your what the shipping fee is going to be i screwed up there a few time and it cost me. but in short all the advice your getting is great advice and i would take it.   

I ran out of gas! I--I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!! J Belushi 1/24/49-1982
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 09:08:19 am »

Shipping is going to be a killer on these item.  Size and weight and how you crate these item is going to be interesting. You will most likely have to ship by truck. To large and heavy for UPS.

rg
see you at the movies
dredpiraterobts

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:06:04 am »

Yes, they are not light! I imagine I can cut down shipping weight by removing the electric guts in the base (Assuming the buyer was looking for the shell and not particularly a working carbon arc projector.)

Am I wrong to expect the buyer to set up shipping? many large items I've bid on on e-bay were that way (it's almost a year since I wound up taking the train to Buffalo and then driving to Ohio to pick up a VW bus I made the mistake of bidding on, it ought to be back from its transmission rebuild by the actual anniversary!).But of course make it abundantly clear to the bidders that it is FOB Mom's house!

Movieman,

You're right of course. So is the base correctly refered to as the rectifier? And the Light box is the proper name for where the arcing and reflecting take place? The part of the machine where the film travels and the lens attaches would be correctly referred to as the camera? the Projector? or is that what you call the magazine?

I must say I do wonder if the concentrated, focused light of a digital projector would be enough light to project a film with one of these assuming the front end still runs (I also wonder if he took the sound box too I'll have to keep an eyeball peeled for that)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: