Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 03:23:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
104 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:23:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choice of Blu-ray players can make a big difference  (Read 4864 times)
11visions

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:46:20 am »

I upgraded from an LG BD670 to a Panasonic BDT500 this week and had my first movie with the new player tonight. The reason for the upgrade was an audio skipping problem with LG's unit and my desire for surround analog outputs for future audio expansion. What I didn't expect to see was both the picture and audio are dramatically better!

I've watched nearly a hundred movies (mixed DVD/Blu-ray discs) on the old LG Blu-ray player and immediately noticed the difference in quality with the Panasonic unit. Why do you suppose this is the case? I had always thought that HDMI = HDMI no matter the player. Perhaps Panasonic has some post-processing that is being applied to the output, but if that is the case then it must default to that option because I'm running stock settings on the player. On the audio side, I can understand the sound being better since the electronics (DAC's, etc) are better quality since this is Panasonic's top-end player.

I don't have the LG player anymore otherwise I'd do a comparison just to be sure, but the video seemed to have far more contrast than I'm used to seeing and the colors were more saturated than usual. It blew me away and I have no idea why it's so much better...

Also, don't buy LG products. The audio problem I had with their player they wanted $70 for me to send it in for warranty repair because their "labor" warranty is only for three months versus the "parts" warranty" which is one year.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:01:36 am »

I upgraded from an LG BD670 to a Panasonic BDT500 this week and had my first movie with the new player tonight. The reason for the upgrade was an audio skipping problem with LG's unit and my desire for surround analog outputs for future audio expansion. What I didn't expect to see was both the picture and audio are dramatically better!

I've watched nearly a hundred movies (mixed DVD/Blu-ray discs) on the old LG Blu-ray player and immediately noticed the difference in quality with the Panasonic unit. Why do you suppose this is the case? I had always thought that HDMI = HDMI no matter the player. Perhaps Panasonic has some post-processing that is being applied to the output, but if that is the case then it must default to that option because I'm running stock settings on the player. On the audio side, I can understand the sound being better since the electronics (DAC's, etc) are better quality since this is Panasonic's top-end player.

I don't have the LG player anymore otherwise I'd do a comparison just to be sure, but the video seemed to have far more contrast than I'm used to seeing and the colors were more saturated than usual. It blew me away and I have no idea why it's so much better...

Also, don't buy LG products. The audio problem I had with their player they wanted $70 for me to send it in for warranty repair because their "labor" warranty is only for three months versus the "parts" warranty" which is one year.

I want to hear this answer also.

Also how does the PS3 rate as a Blu-ray player sound & Video
KrazyTrain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:56:03 am »

As far as I know, the PS3 is top of line as far as Blu Ray players go...which is why I have four of them around the house and use one for my backyard theater...just a great machine.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 01:06:26 pm »

As far as I know, the PS3 is top of line as far as Blu Ray players go...which is why I have four of them around the house and use one for my backyard theater...just a great machine.

Wait.......did I hear you right 4/5 PS3 in the house.......Thats great.

It must be fun playing while taking a bubble bath Cheesy
Rezolution

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 10:41:02 pm »

Some problems can crop up just because of how a player outputs a signal vs the native resolution of you tv or projector. You can either have your tv/projector up /downconvert or you can have the blu ray player do it. Almost every tv and project I own only does 720p. I set all my gear to outpu 720p only so the tv/projector doesn't have to do the work. Sometimes people will check multiple boxes on a blu ray player all the way up to 1080p. Just because a tv will accept 1080p doesn't mean you should give it the signal (if it has a Lower native resolution).

Another thing people always make as a blanket statement is that HDMI is best. I have a 52" Mitsubishi 52725 television. The HDMI jack is the worst input on the whole television set. The VGA port and RGB inputs are far superior to the HDMI (which is all washed out, pixelated, and grainy).  As it turns out, I asked an engineer at Mitsubishi why this is and it has something to do with internal analog to digital conversion in the tv.  The HDMI port goes digital, analog, back to digital in this particular tv.

You will probably never find out what is causing the better picture with your current setup, but be glad that you have two pieces of equipment that play well together Smiley

Electronics are very complicated and touchy!
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 01:16:18 am »

Second showing tonight with the new Blu-ray player. Someone comes up to me after the show and asks if I'm using a new projector because the picture looks so much better than before. This certainly confirms it.

I did have both players set to 720p so the output resolution itself didn't make the difference. I'm guessing that either the LG player had some settings wrong by default (maybe reduced contrast and saturation) or there is some post-processing going on with the new Panasonic player that somehow significantly improves the picture quality (or maybe just a better up-converting algorithm). I'm happy either way...I just didn't know what I was missing until two days ago.

The audio sounds noticeably better too but that is certainly due to higher quality components that would be found in a $300 player versus a $100 player. Makes me wonder if the super high-end Blu-ray players from Oppo, Denon or Cambridge Audio have something even more special that I'm missing right now.

Phillip Hullquist
Chaz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:39:21 am »

I run and have always ran the rack mounted Denons, upgraded a while back to the Denon Blu-ray 3D rack mounted player and it is awesome.

If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse. Making lifelong magical memories!
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 08:00:08 am »

LOVE my OPPO's

rg
see you at the movies
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 09:03:12 am »

I've heard the ps3s' audio capabilities are not top notch from an audiophiles point view. Something about higher end audio having to be down mixed. It is much faster getting through menus though. Video is good.

11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 09:14:56 am »

movieman @ Chaz: What do the Oppo or Denon players provide that I wouldn't get with a lessor player? The new player I have now has some higher-end circuitry already (Burr-Brown DAC, etc.) Do you think I'd be able to see/hear the difference with the next step up? I don't mind spending the money for the best equipment, but I'd certainly have to justify a close to $1000 purchase.

Having rack-mountable capabilities is nice, but my Panasonic player is already rack-mounted by means of a Middle Atlantic clamping shelf and custom faceplate. Looks good.

Phillip Hullquist
Buzz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 11:00:54 am »

I have an older Cambridge upconverting DVD player that is worlds better than the several other upconverts I've had.  When I first got it I compared it to a few others on my plasma tv.  I ended up using a couple of scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean (beginning with lots of white fog, and a very dark action scene) to compare.  Before getting the Cambridge I wondered if I had an inferior tv, because the hard to process scenes like mentioned above looked okay, but not great.  After the Cambridge, they were smooth as butter.  I used this for my outdoor setup as well.

Now, years later, I also have a Panasonic blu-ray player.  I haven't compared it to the Cambridge, but it does look and sound wonderful.  I'd like to get an Oppo, but I'm just too darn cheap to spend the $$ on it.

What's the old saying about spending a small amount more to get a lot better sound/video, after that you have to spend TONS more to get tiny increments better in sound/video?
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 08:15:45 pm »

I have an older Cambridge upconverting DVD player that is worlds better than the several other upconverts I've had.  When I first got it I compared it to a few others on my plasma tv.  I ended up using a couple of scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean (beginning with lots of white fog, and a very dark action scene) to compare.  Before getting the Cambridge I wondered if I had an inferior tv, because the hard to process scenes like mentioned above looked okay, but not great.  After the Cambridge, they were smooth as butter.  I used this for my outdoor setup as well.

Now, years later, I also have a Panasonic blu-ray player.  I haven't compared it to the Cambridge, but it does look and sound wonderful.  I'd like to get an Oppo, but I'm just too darn cheap to spend the $$ on it.

What's the old saying about spending a small amount more to get a lot better sound/video, after that you have to spend TONS more to get tiny increments better in sound/video?

I agree............but in my 20's I would have thought spend the most to get the most
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 08:22:58 pm »

One more thing I think Blu-ray is not that good. Now that the price is down on TV's & players its OK. But I don't get excited on HD.

To show that it is not that I am old I do like CD's better than the LP as far as sound goes......I never could take the scatch/pop sound.

Its still the movie that counts for me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: