Backyard Theater Forum
December 12, 2017, 08:32:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
109 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 08:32:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Outdoor Theater: Combine Concert & Movie  (Read 28524 times)
OutdoorGeek

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:26:14 pm »

Hello,

I started building my outdoor theater about 6 years ago when our then newly purchased home could not accommodate my behemoth Hughes/JVC 230HDSC projector (265 lbs) and it was just plain wrong to confine this 1.6KW arc lamp powered full HD beauty to the store room.  (The old home had a perfectly oriented "crawl space" that allowed the projector and all equipment to be installed separate from the viewing room so the very loud fans were not obtrusive.  This produced an incredible image and the only problem was finding source material at 1920 x 1080.)  My solution was to take it outside and project on the largest screen I could easily fabricate.  The projector now sits on a landscape cart and can be wheeled into position as needed.

The screen frame is wood, 2x4 construction and measures 24 feet wide x 16 feet high.  The screen is unfinished BOC with a viewing area of about 22' x 9' (cinemascope) and is suspended by 96 small bungee cords and fabric clips.  The bungees keep it wrinkle free and it has thus far survived 6 seasons.  The projector is located about 60 feet from the screen on the "porch" for the garage and places the projection lens in the center of the screen and projects over the audience as in the local Cineplex.  The frame is plumb and square to the projection source so zero keystone correction is required. 

We have recently landscaped the area and replaced a failing retaining wall with three tiers of large limestone blocks to create a natural "amphitheater" that easily accommodates around 100 people including those on blankets close to the screen.  People can sit on the rock walls, blankets, and chairs without blocking sight lines. 

The sound has evolved from large "home" speakers to a complete custom system of my own design that incorporates "pro audio" drivers obtained on eBay and Craigslist.  I designed the crossover to optimize a flat frequency response by trading off a bit of system sensitivity and arrived at a system around 94 dB SPL per Watt that is within about 2 dB of being flat.  (I am an Electrical Engineer and wrote a Network Analysis solver using MathCAD that incorporates measured driver impedance and frequency response data.)  The system cannot play quite as loud as a typical "PA" system but can effortlessly play satisfyingly loud outdoors at sound pressure levels that had previously blown out drivers on my large home speakers.  Most importantly, the sound is natural and amazingly does justice to audiophile recordings of classical music in addition to movie soundtracks. 

I am driving the system with 8 channels of ElectroVoice amplification conservatively totaling 4.2 KW.  Each of the three front speakers consists of an 18" JBL 2245h (chosen for its extended low frequency response) in a 10 cubic foot (net) ported enclosure tuned to around 24Hz and driven up to about 120 Hz, crossed over to a 10" Beyma 10G200 chosen for its very smooth flat response up to 1.6 KHz where it is crossed over to a Renkus Heinz SSD1800 on the small CBH 1600 horn.  The crossover compensates for the high frequency roll off of the horn/driver and results in a flat system response up to around 18KHz.  The 18" JBL's play all the low frequency information for each respective channel plus 1/3 the LFE (.1) channel so they share the burden and each gets its own 600W amplifier channel.  (Full disclaimer:  I only have one of the 18" enclosures completed; the other two are still in construction.  I am using two old 15" Beyma units for L and R in the meantime; these drivers were not designed to go much below 40Hz so I am eager to complete the other two JBL enclosures.)  The surround systems incorporate a slightly smaller 8G40 LF driver with the same Renkus SSD1800 and CBH1600 and are placed on Ultimate stands with the leveling leg to accommodate the slope of the ground.  The center HF enclosure gets its own 600W channel, and the L, R and surrounds each get their own 450W channel.

I use a BD equipped Quad Core PC to drive everything; the projector gets 1920 x 1080 at 72Hz refresh synched (using Reclock) to the video card so each frame of film gets refreshed exactly 3 times.  The result is absolutely smooth video as in theaters.  I use optical SPDIF output to an old HK ADP303 processor that drives my sound board and EV amplifiers with a custom active crossover to accomplish the 120 HZ crossover and summing of the LFE channel.  Lossless audio will be a future upgrade; for now completing the speaker system will produce the most "bang for the buck."

Lately, we have been hosting musicians to provide a concert and a movie in the same venue.  Last summer (2011) we hosted Ellis (http://www.ellis-music.com/news/) and just this past weekend we hosted Beth Wood (http://www.bethwoodmusic.com/); both of these women are absolutely fabulous! 

Has anyone else out there combined a concert with a movie?

* DSC_0785.JPG (120.58 KB, 1024x680 - viewed 889 times.)

* DSC_0791.JPG (138.82 KB, 1024x680 - viewed 574 times.)

* DSC_0800.JPG (181.89 KB, 1024x680 - viewed 782 times.)

* DSC_0776.JPG (127.95 KB, 1024x680 - viewed 789 times.)

* DSC_0755.JPG (126.61 KB, 1024x680 - viewed 740 times.)

* DSC_0756.JPG (109.83 KB, 680x1024 - viewed 760 times.)
OutdoorGeek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:12:51 pm »

A couple more details:

The center channel speaker doubles as the monitor for the musician as it is positioned in these concert pictures.  When the music stops it is placed on top of the JBL enclosure for center channel duty. 

The Huhges/JVC 230HDSC requires 240VAC and requires extensive and cumbersome calibration for shading and convergence as it is a hybrid technology that combines high resolution CRTs (yes, CRTs) with the bright white light from an arc lamp using a device called an Image Light Amplifier (ILA).  10 years ago it was about the only technology capable of producing an HD image and, though now obsoleted due to in part to the very high maintenance costs, can still create a stunning HD picture if properly calibrated.  I installed a dedicated 240VAC panel to power it and all the EV equipment.

I am also attaching a couple more pictures from last summer when we hosted Ellis.

The last pic is a hand held screen shot taken without pausing the film so it is a bit blurry.

Best!

* DSC_0005.JPG (123 KB, 1024x680 - viewed 537 times.)

* DSC_0006.JPG (135.24 KB, 1024x680 - viewed 496 times.)

* DSC_0057.JPG (82.13 KB, 510x768 - viewed 470 times.)

* DSC_0059.JPG (102.75 KB, 1024x680 - viewed 493 times.)

* DSC_0085.JPG (112.49 KB, 1024x680 - viewed 469 times.)

* DSC_0561.JPG (89.97 KB, 1024x680 - viewed 642 times.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:24:25 pm by OutdoorGeek » Logged
PyramidPyro

Burn, baby, burn!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:43:54 pm »

Impressive!

E

www.PyramidPyro.com  .......because it's unnecessary and totally ridiculous.  That's why! - Ventura County Backyard Theater
Oldalgebra

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:41:05 pm »

That's a beautiful setting. Love the amphitheater. That's really taking advantage of your surroundings. Not a bad seat in the house.
Don't understand much of the "audio talk" but I can imagine that the musicians must appreciate all the equipment as much as the listeners.

Like the little playground you have back there. Just like the old drive-ins.  Got any bouncy horses there?Huh

bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:18:12 pm »

OGeek,

I have one major concern about about your setup...

Is that JVC/Hughes projector going to last until I get an invite and am able to attend one of your events.   Grin

Awesome setup!

Perp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:17:06 am »

I read through the entire post and became hopelessly confused.

Then I saw the pictures and understood:  you built a fantastic outdoor theater!

Seriously considered using Google Translate but feared breaking Google.com for everyone.

A 60 foot throw --- I bet that's a record for this website.   Tongue
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:10:46 am »

Great setup!  Yes, we've had live music at a few of our showings/parties and it's a treat for everyone.  I ended up buying a PA to have around just in case a jam session broke out.

Nice screen frame, btw.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

OutdoorGeek

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:44:09 pm »

Thank you all for your kind comments!  My wife rolls her eyes at me but she does like it.  The kids, of course, love it!

Randy, glad to hear others are enjoying live music as well.  We didn't know it was possible until we attended a house concert early last year, became immediately interested and got connected.  Wish I could play; do you?

For those who may be interested in live music, here is a helpful link:  http://www.concertsinyourhome.com/  Those at www.backyardtheater.com have the advantage of an outdoor venue all ready and waiting for music talent.  The only real challenge is the possibility that it may need to be indoors if the weather is bad (you So CA people don't have to worry about this!). 

Oldalgebra, no bouncy horses - sorry!  Play set and sand box only.  My kids are 9 and 11 now so we are sadly nearing the end of that window.

bdwalker1, I am in Minneapolis.  The season here in MN is short but if the logistics work out you are most welcome.  Might get one more show, sans music, this season but much harder now school has started and the weather turns rather swiftly.  I just re-lamped the Hughes/JVC this past spring so it is ready for another 500 hours or so; perhaps 100 movie nights so you should have time!

Perp, the lens is a 2:1 to 4:1 zoom so if the image is 16 feet wide by 9 feet high, the projector needs to be between 32 and 64 feet.  In practice, it seems to work best near the long end of that range; I have pushed it to 70 feet with the old retaining wall but have moved the screen a bit closer to take better advantage of the amphitheater seating and it seems to be right in the "sweet spot."  Other lenses are available (if you can find them) but this throw distance is perfect for the slope in my backyard.

All for now; I'll post some pictures of the lens and arc lamp later on if anyone is interested. 

Cheers!
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 12:00:06 am »

Randy, glad to hear others are enjoying live music as well.  We didn't know it was possible until we attended a house concert early last year, became immediately interested and got connected.  Wish I could play; do you?

That house concert site is pretty interesting.  I don't play much at all anymore.  I played drums/percussion through school and off and on over the years after that.  And I play a little guitar.  But I know some very talented musicians.

We've had a lot of great movie nights but one of my personal favorites was a night we had the drum kit and PA out there for our son's rock band to play in the afternoon.  Several of my friends who are musicians would be here over the course of the night.  It was one of the 'big' parties, not just a movie.  One of them was playing keyboards for background music.  So before the night was over I had dragged out some guitars and we all played a while.  Completely out of the blue I got to do a few songs with a childhood friend (Dave).  Dave and I were neighbors as kids and played together in a rock band in a 7th grade talent show (roughly the age of our son and his bandmates at the time as I recall).  Anyway, Dave and I had a good laugh and played a couple songs together.  It was like going back 30 years and it was a blast.

Randy

Anyway, I'm all for working music into your showings/evenings if you can.  Make it a little talent show among friends or something.  We've had dancers and gymnastics and even people telling jokes over the PA as their bit (there's something about a microphone...), all in the same night.

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:24:28 am »

we got it rough in so cal!

weather has been in the 80's-90's all week! and right its slightly rainy and about 70-something. definite earthquake weather

cecilb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:37:05 am »

Sorry if this was mentioned, would be fun to do a live cam on your 'Jumbotron' scrren to really get the feel of a live concert

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
satch

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 09:47:23 am »

WOW

Your set-up is truly impressive.

I play nothing but concerts on my 20x16 plywood screen ,with just 9 speakers....

Would truly love to hear you sysyem with the Eagles cranked

Satch

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 08:28:36 pm »

Did I tell you all about my Sony 5.1 SS with 4 inch speakers Grin Grin

It has 800 watts Shocked
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:37:10 pm by genesis76 » Logged
OutdoorGeek

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 07:53:54 pm »

Hello again,

Been busy but still here so thought I'd post a couple more pictures from last season's concert + movie.  Thanks!

O.G.

* 2012-08-31 19.59.48.jpg (843.8 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 552 times.)

* DSC05216.JPG (943.85 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 480 times.)
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 08:16:34 pm »

I like doing genesis before movies gets my blood going? Grin  As of today it is not live Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: