Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 08:07:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
98 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 08:07:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do the publically shown movies physically come from Swank?  (Read 8936 times)
rh1958

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:42:08 pm »

Or do you simply get their approved movie list, pay Swank and get the DVD yourself and play it?
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:01:44 pm »

They will ship you the dvd for your play date and then you ship it back.

rg
see you at the movies
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:37:37 pm »

they're like netflix except expensive

movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:44:58 am »

Netflix is not for Publis viewing.  Swank is the legal way to show dvd's in public

rg
see you at the movies
Oldalgebra

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:45:46 am »

That was a joke, Silly.

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 04:48:27 pm »

At what point does it become public?  I was thinking of showing movie that I have, once the weather warms up a bit, at a friends house.  They have a vacant lot between their house and their neighbors.  We have been given permission to use the lot, but it faces a somewhat busy road through town.  At what point can you no longer show a movie you have from Netflix, and have to use something like Swank?
STLmovieguy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 05:02:51 pm »

This question comes up often on this site. You can search and read all the responses. But, if you read the govt copyright laws, you will find your answer.
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 06:13:40 pm »

If its in a private residences own yard AND not facing the general public, your only worries should be if you have enough big spray. And to not disturb anyone to the point they complain. Even then the po-po could only ask you to turn down the volume.

Even a vacant lot has an owner. If you were to use this lot and some sourpuss calls it in, then prepare for a fine at worst but maybe just a warning and an order to stop if the cop is cool.

That being said A LOT of people play movies willy nilly without worrying about licenses. Some recent post showed a high school kid setting up a community night using his school property for a great cause and states to be planning more! However it sounds like he's given no thought about a license. I firmly believe, the farther you live from the center of any urban area, the more lenient the laws are.

There are numerous communities that get involved in outdoor theater that pay no mind to a license AND they play most every movie out there. There are also stories of the FCC comin down hard on groups for violations. There was a church that used to play the Super Bowl for its members. Somehow the nfl and FCC found out and rained all sorts of heck on them. The outcome was the public viewed this lashing as bad and the nfl relented and gave them permission but I believe with a smaller screen then they had previously used.

I'm ranting here.

Short answer: try to put your screen in your friends yard. Physically in there. Second make sure the general public cant stop and watch the projected movies from the street. A tarp can help some. Third invite all the local neighbors. Bonus points if they have kids and you play one family friendly movie. They'll love it and you can avert a potential sourpuss incident. PPS: Turn down your sound at a certain time. This can help your party last a bit further.

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:44:56 am »

I guess I need to do a little more research just so I know.  I don't think any of the neighbors will care, or will be there with us.  Being in a smaller town we know most of the police officers too.  We occasionally have gatherings that go well into the night with no issues from the neighbors or the police.  I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't breaking any major laws. 

I was thinking about putting something on in the park at some point if the Village would allow it.  I know at that point I would have to use something like Swank for sure.
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:16:55 am »

This appears to be a public showing and needs to be done legal.

rg
see you at the movies
STLmovieguy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 01:47:21 pm »

Months ago, I put out a challenge, I asked everybody if they had ever been approached to display their license, or threatened about copyright laws, and had no stories. However, I heard that Disney is hard core about this.
Shore Flicks

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 02:48:23 pm »

Months ago, I put out a challenge, I asked everybody if they had ever been approached to display their license, or threatened about copyright laws, and had no stories. However, I heard that Disney is hard core about this.

Two summers ago Swank told me they got a call from a studio who saw an online news story about us showing one of their films and wanted to make sure we were licensed.  Of course we were.  We also got a call several years ago about another advertised film that we were showing that Swank had no record of license for.  Turns out it was licensed, just under a different organization's name. 

Better to be safe than sorry, especially if there is anything online about your event.  And don't mess with The Mouse. 
Oldalgebra

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 03:58:02 pm »

Has anyone who is not in the business ever been officially fined or even warned of possible illegal use of a DVD movie by any official agency?

I asked this question some months ago on a Different post And never heard a word.

movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:02 pm »

I work for a TV station that bought that bought the ABC network. (In the old days our news was NOT copyrighted. Then Disney bought ABC, ESPN. Every thing changed. All newscast are now copyrighted.  Disney has lawyers working 24/7 looking, watching for any of its products not being use legally. Mickey is always watching. They are not the only company watching .

rg
see you at the movies
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 06:10:09 pm »

So in your backyard is ok, but only depending on how you do it and what you show?  I know I could show a netflix movie for myself and family, but if we were having a party it wouldn't be legit?  I have been reading a few things, and there are so many different interpretations. 

I only asked about my situation, because I knew it would be open to "public" as they walked/drove by and I didn't want any issues.  I looked at the swank site today and didn't see any way to create an account or anything.  I was curious as to how much they were and what I could or couldn't do with them.  I think I need to do a little more research, and hold off on anything I'm skeptical about.  It only takes one person to make a good time turn bad. . .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: