Backyard Theater Forum
December 17, 2017, 12:46:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
107 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:46:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do the publically shown movies physically come from Swank?  (Read 8957 times)
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 08:20:13 pm »

if you're not charging to view anything you plan on displaying, the general public (that has not been invited) cannot see what you are displaying, and you're good with the local people surrounding your event, and you're on private property, how is this different than lets say getting television fans to watch the last episode of some show or the oscars or the super bowl inside your own home.

if you habitually use your byt to watch anything outside,

here is Swank's page on licenses:

http://www.swank.com/other/copyright.html

this is the FCC's actual license information if you're comfortable in super long documents:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/circ92.pdf

----------

im no lawyer but found this interesting segment:

"(II) if the performance or display is by audiovisual means, any
visual portion of the performance or display is communicated by
means of a total of not more than 4 audiovisual devices, of which not
110 Subject Matter and Scope of CopyrightCopyright Law of the United States 27
more than 1 audiovisual device is located in any 1 room, and no such
audiovisual device has a diagonal screen size greater than 55 inches,
and any audio portion of the performance or display is communicated by means of a total of not more than 6 loudspeakers, of which
not more than 4 loudspeakers are located in any 1 room or adjoining
outdoor space;"

so it looks like everyone who has ever displayed anything copyrighted outside on a screen bigger than 55 inches (rolls eyes) is doing it illegally. i've already bought my movie/game and i choose to play it outside. i happen to have a backyard that is not facing the general public and host multiple movie/game/television nights outside all the time. all my parties are free but only for invited guests. no money is ever exchanged. i've played movies/games/television at 3 seperate locations. all private locations with no direct public viewing available.

as you stated "it takes one bad apple/sourpuss" to ruin everything at any event. i say go on with the event, invite the locals, physically place the screen as close to that friends backyard as possible. even if you have to sit in the vacant lot.

call swank at (800)876-5577. they dont bite and make sure you ask for an informational package. that package will contain a price list and the latest movie catalog they have available. prices vary and depend on what reason you'll be playing the movie. ie: for profit, not for profit, a fundraising event, etc. i have one and i can tell you this much: remember visiting a Blockbuster back when DVD's just came out? its like that, overpriced, crappy selection, and very restrictive.

would anyone here in the forums pay $100-$200 (more for disney) every time they play a movie outside? everyone here would be broke. no one in their right mind would have a backyard theater.

bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 08:34:08 pm »

This discussion makes me feel like we're discussing religion or politics. :-)

My two cents... If you're only showing to private friends/family events you're probably going to be fine.  If you're showing to a group, organization or the general public -- either for profit or not -- you're probably going to want to CYA by getting a license (if you can figure out how), but you're going to be limited to what's available for a reasonable fee.

That being said, though ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law you're more likely to get leniency if you are ignorant of movie licensing regulations than you would be if you have educated yourself on the matter and then choose to break them.

satch

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 08:42:08 pm »

I do not worry about in the least , I buy my DVD and show them to invited guests on my property ,
that is all they should be thankful I bought the DVD instead of downloading it for free

Just my thoughts on it
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:18 pm »

Sounds like the best thing to do is don't do anything I know is totally wrong, and if I do get caught, play stupid.  Like the old saying, "Easier to ask for forgiveness that it is for permission. . ."  I plan on it only being me and maybe 2-3 other families at most in my own yard.  We were just thinking to kick off the season to have it in the vacant lot, bbq, play cornhole, invite a few people over, and enjoy a few adult beverages.

I will still research it some, and will look into what the licencing is and what I can do with it too.  That will just be for my own personal knowledge.  I agree this is like politics, gun control, abortion, etc. . . everyone has an opinion as to what to do to keep legal.
satch

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »

And now if your serving Alcohol you must be licensed laws are endless to their meaning

I cant imagine getting a Liqour Permit to drink on my own property,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
nivek

MOONLIGHT Backyard Theater

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 07:54:41 am »

Luckily I don't have to worry about my neighbors, they are all dead. No I did not kill them. I live by a cemetery. If one of my neighbors complains then I have some serious problems and am going into the house.   

Say you have a 52in TV! Try a 9X21', then we'll talk.
Nivek/KCS
weedwacker

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 02:15:27 pm »

Luckily I don't have to worry about my neighbors, they are all dead. No I did not kill them. I live by a cemetery. If one of my neighbors complains then I have some serious problems and am going into the house.   

That was like my old line when I worked at a cemetary right after getting out of the Army. People would always ask how I could work at a cemetary and my response was usually along the lines of "It's not bad. The clients are quiet and if one was to start complaining we would have other problems to worry about."

RoseRanch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 02:45:17 pm »

This discussion makes me feel like we're discussing religion or politics. :-)

My two cents... If you're only showing to private friends/family events you're probably going to be fine.  If you're showing to a group, organization or the general public -- either for profit or not -- you're probably going to want to CYA by getting a license (if you can figure out how), but you're going to be limited to what's available for a reasonable fee.

That being said, though ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law you're more likely to get leniency if you are ignorant of movie licensing regulations than you would be if you have educated yourself on the matter and then choose to break them.

^This.  It's not really that complicated.  I think the wording is about showing to your family and normal circle of friends.  If you're doing that, no problem.

If you're going to open it up to the whole neighborhood, people you've never met before, a church gathering, etc., you're supposed to get a license.  Whether or not you do is up to you.
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 04:37:22 pm »

only right now do i realize this question is posted in the commerical section. the way the original question is setup though it could be a general backyard movie question. not for profit. invited friends and family only. friends backyard.

the fly in the ointment is that he was thinking of using a vacant lot. a vacant lot has to be owned by someone. if that someone happens to be a local government then the potential for him to get a fine is high. if everything is set in his friends backyard/sideyard/frontyard but such a way that the general public that is not invited cannot see it, i dont see why he would get fined.

if you ever want to do this hobby (as a good chunk of the forum see's it) for profit as a business, then yes get license's. be a legal eagle! keeping it in the realm of a hobby though, follow a few guidelines and you are golden.

a few guidelines:

1. thou shall not charge for entry.
2. for parties, consider a pot-luck sign-up sheet
3. invite friends, family, neighbors, by asking directly. do not post on facebook nor any website with party details.
4. make accommodations so that your projected movie cannot be viewed by the general public.
5. if alcohol is to be available, keep tabs on your guests. make certain no one leaves drunk.
6. thou shall not play any Tyler Perry movies (my addition)
7. thou shall not play anything past a certain time with the volume at 100%. this can be the number one action that will get you a police visit. be kind, lower the volume.
8. bug spray. lots of it.

Organic Steam

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 10:07:00 pm »

Better make sure your tv inside isn't facing a window or you may be hit with a fine.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: