Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 11:12:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
70 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:12:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos of drive in theaters in the US, mostly closed/rundown.  (Read 9114 times)
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 07:31:09 am »

When I moved this thread I may have lost a post.  I would swear there was one I wanted to reply to but don't see it now.  It related to someone saying every time they see one of these old drive-in's they want to take their projector and bring it back to life for an evening.  What an interesting idea!  That one will be haunting me for a while.  It would be so easy.  Sure, most of us couldn't fill the screen with big brilliant color with our little backyard PJ's but if we could just arrange things such that we didn't end up in the hoosegow, it would be a blast!

Maybe a special arrangement tied in with a local festival of some sort?  Probably nearly impossible with all the legal/insurance/licensing but it sure would be a fun project to pull off on a local level.  The local car show folks would love it.  Thanks to whomever mentioned that for making the wheels turn for a few minutes.

Randy

edit: and for some reason, I'm visualizing Zombies selling popcorn... that's kinda creepy.  Things just took a weird turn.

* wehavethetechnology.jpg (37.64 KB, 640x477 - viewed 287 times.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:59:15 am by rfisk » Logged

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:03:09 am »

We have a drive-in near us that is managing to stay afloat. The family also runs a couple of iindoor theaters.

http://www.99w.com/

Their About Us page has a nice story about their history & struggles in the business:

http://www.99w.com/aboutus.htm

I hate to admit I haven't been patronizing this drive-in, but now that my girls are old enough that I think they would enjoy it and remember the experience I'm going to try to go now & then.

Organic Steam

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 08:33:06 pm »

Did it close down in the 70's. Everytime I drive by there I want to go in there with my projector and try reliving the glory days of the drive-in thearter.

[/quote]

Is this it? I'm going to see if I can safely get back there to check it out. All thought I am now to old to get busted for trespassing. May try to find out who presently owns the property and get permission to look around.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:18:11 pm by Organic Steam » Logged
RoseRanch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:40 am »

rfisk wrote:
...It related to someone saying every time they see one of these old drive-in's they want to take their projector and bring it back to life for an evening.  What an interesting idea!  That one will be haunting me for a while.  It would be so easy.  Sure, most of us couldn't fill the screen with big brilliant color with our little backyard PJ's but if we could just arrange things such that we didn't end up in the hoosegow, it would be a blast!

Did it close down in the 70's. Everytime I drive by there I want to go in there with my projector and try reliving the glory days of the drive-in thearter.

Is this it? I'm going to see if I can safely get back there to check it out. All thought I am now to old to get busted for trespassing. May try to find out who presently owns the property and get permission to look around.

I love this idea, too!  ^It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Wink
Just imagine, a drive-by, drive-in projection!  Throw a generator and your equipment in the back of a pick-up truck and flip the switch.  Show an Italian zombie movie or some other drive-in fodder.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: