Backyard Theater Forum
December 12, 2017, 03:14:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
101 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 03:14:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBMC w/ Cinema Experience  (Read 49587 times)
tronn4

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:48:25 pm »

so i finally updated my htpcs' XBMC to the latest build... 12.2 Frodo! it was an update from about 10.0 Eden. the main reason was because i wanted to run the XBMC remote on my iphone. should have done it sooner but i was happy with 10.0 and "it wasnt broken" so why fix it right? turns out it even fixed this weird "once in awhile" video stutter.

Frodo ver. 12.2 screenshot:

so anyway, added XBMC remote onto my iphone and it works like a charm! dont have to fumble through all the menus. straight to a video. queue up the next video. queue up a cartoon. queue up some music! really impressed!

dug around byt and remembered someone had mentioned cinema experience. looked it up and found out they made a native version for 12.2 Frodo! so its not specifically tied down to a particular theme anymore! installed it and just started messin with the configuration. its very powerful and it looks like a few more iterations and it could be very user friendly. right now its like programming a vcr.... without a manual.... and no lights!

Cinema Experience is basically a pre-programmed playlist with super powers inside of XBMC. you can add all your own media slides, custom theater intros, cartoons, home videos (like of a recent trip, etc), add pictures with or without an audio background, even stream movie trailers (albeit random)! this following video i made only with local media files i had downloaded except for the movie trailers. i set them to stream from the net. i was busy doing other things too so very slow download.

Cinema Experience Sequence

1. Trivia Intro Video(s)
2. Slides w/ music playlist
3. Trivia Outro Video(s)
4. Movie Theater Intro Video(s)
5. Coming Attractions Intro Video(s)
6. Trailer(s)
7. Coming Attractions Outro Video(s)
8. Feature Presentation Intro Video(s)
9. Rating
10. Audio (DD/DTS/THX etc)
11. Countdown Video
12. Movie Starts
13. Intermission Video(s) - If selected
14. Rating Video - if selected
15. Audio Format Video - if selected
16. Next Movie Starts
. The last three can repeat up to 3 more times
17. Feature Presentation Outro Video(s)
18. Movie Theatre Outro Video(s)

so think of Hoppy Valley's Playlist but with a modern twist.

heres the test clip i done yesterday:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/60VcQb-xNlA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/60VcQb-xNlA</a>

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »

as stated in the playlists section, you can add all your own slides or question and answer slides or movie knowledge slides in to play.

the XBMC community forums is all aglow with custom slides made by its members. a great number of slides are free to download here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156908

heres an example of one type of slide. its called Actor Scrammble. it'll display the first slide with an actors' name scrammbled. then display the correct name, a picture, and a small bio.

similiar to Actor Scrammble but with movie facts is Blockbusters:

Movie Trivia:

Custom Intros. again the XBMC community offers free intros. mainly showing xbmc, but you can also add your own intros into the mix:

http://imgur.com/a/ZOS4U/embed

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:23:41 pm »

showing off how robust XBMC is, is avs user Meyer64. he has this thread on AVS, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439406/movieposter-virtual-movie-poster-display-software
showing how he wrote a piece of software (freely available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcposterdisp/ )
that allows someone with 2 monitors to show the main xbmc stuff on one screen and have the secondary monitor display the current movies theater poster!

it just so happens that one could use their projector as the main display, while having a secondary display showing whats up!

everette

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 04:19:34 pm »

Tronn, glad to see someone else shares the same enthusiasm for XBMC as I have. I have been using XBMC as my home media server software for the past year and it seems to get better with every update. I like that Frodo has better PVR integration capabilities for using it with live OTA channels.

I will be implementing XBMC w/ Cinema Experience in my BYT this year for the first time. I love the idea of having a second monitor display the fan art or cover of what is now showing.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 05:28:56 pm »

I've had xbmc for a short time (maybe 2-3 years). And at first it was because my boxee was acting strange. Movies were disappearing and other small things. So I installed xbmc 9 at the time. Movies weren't missing so I used it only as a movie player.
BYT came about 2 years ago for me and my only gripe was still using physical media rather than my more extensive digital collection. That's when I built my second htpc and on occasion used it outside however my network was as robust as it is now so I didn't think about networking. So I used to copy the movies and play them off that via VLC. WHICH PLAYS EVERYTHING.
By then (2011) media players were already on the market. I stuck with my setup mainly due to "it's working as is"/laziness. At one point though I looked into and bought a WDTV Live unit so I wouldn't have to carry out the htpc all the time. The WDTV live works great and can play movies off my network! But still required the files I wanted to play in a playlist to be on a hdd. I can't compile networked files into a playlist at all! You could play them one at a time but would have to navigate menus with guests present. I wanted a seamless experience. One thing happened though... BYT!

Tried finding methods to insert custom made intros, trailers that I wanted, music videos that I wanted, basically total control of the movie experience with a "set it and forget" style. Thus my new foray into XBMC and its add-on Cinema Experience. Only looked more into cinema experience because other forums members here mentioned it a couple times.

So now I'm in "acquire" mode for new trailers, new music videos, new video game previews. Stuff that I used to play. Also throwing various videos from my cartoon collection and music vids.

First full-on test will be tonight and tomorrow night as we have a biggun BBQ on Sunday (and movies on Sunday).

Also will be streaming net radio via the Navi-X add-on.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 12:57:24 pm »

here i was playing pandora off of the WDTV Live unit. this was roughly 3pm. i call this screen: Mini-Tronn:

here is the Navi-X add-on playing a Shoutcast station while i was adjusting other xbmc settings:

left screenshot is of my library. of which i can instantly start or add to a queue if i was playing something.
right screenshot is of the queue that was setup by the Cinema Experience add-on. the lone ranger and RIPD were the 2 trailers that CE streamed automatically. i dont see a way to tell it which trailers i want streamed. im can, however, put up any trailer i've previously downloaded. still have to mess with that option though...

FrostyFreeze

HYLTOPLEX OUTDOOR THEATER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 02:38:40 pm »

DAMN!
(see image attached)

* bb37c.png (84.81 KB, 320x480 - viewed 548 times.)

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 02:55:26 pm »

Chaz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:38:22 pm »

tronn4 what program is that on you smart phone? can you stream the movies straight from your phone or are those images just a list of your library?

If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse. Making lifelong magical memories!
everette

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 03:50:35 pm »

That looks like the XBMC Remote app for iOS. App is also available for Android. It just syncs your media library listing to your phone. If you tap a title, it starts playing within XBMC on your media server or whatever you have the XBMC software running on.

Tronn, how much storage space is your 1,000+ movie library currently occupying? I only have roughly 60 movies currently  Undecided

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:14:40 pm »

1,000+ movies: 80% of a 2TB drive and 99% of a 1.5 TB drive. That's on 1 htpc.

The second htpc I'm using currently for xbmc BYT only has a 1TB. Currently loading that hdd with movie trailers, music vids, all my cartoon collections, regular music, custom intros, movie quizzes, etc etc.

Thinking at some point of creating a central media server with all movies there.

----------

Yes it's the xbmc remote control app for iOS. Link is in first post. I'm trying to get the thing to sync up again with my library since I fixed the cover image issue I was having. ie: no cover image, only random screenshot from movie.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 04:17:51 pm »

I might also add that if you have a jail broken iOS device or android device, you could get a working version of xbmc on it. Thinking about this on my phone because my contract just came up.

everette

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 05:05:51 pm »

I am currently running Frodo on my Samsung Galaxy Note II so I can use Navi-X.  Grin

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 06:20:36 am »

I have been using XBMC and Cinema Experience for about 2 years now.  There is a bit of a learning curve when first using it, but I have converted a lot of friends and they are now using it as well.  I do like the set it and forget it idea too.  I like that you can select 2 movies and it will do everything else for you.  I did have to go through and put in a video for every option, just to note the order they play in.  They don't play in the order they show up on the menu selections.

I did find that it was a lot better to download the trailers from something like http://www.hd-trailers.net/ and use those rather than trying to stream.  I hate the random trailers based off of what you are watching, and the buffering.  That way I can have my selections in an HD format and not have to wait for streaming.

I currently stream all of my movies over the network from my 24TB NAS and I have no issues.  When I go outside, I do transfer the movies that I want to use to my laptop just for ease of  use.  I do have XBMC installed on there as well.  The Ipad/Iphone app is nice too.  The only thing you have to be aware of is that if you add new movies to your library you will have to force your Ipad/Iphone to clear cache on net start and reboot for it to acquire the new movies.

So Tronn, I take it your are Hector Macias?  Still trying to put some of the facebook names to Backyardtheater.com names.  I'm glad you got it working.
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 09:20:01 am »

^thats what i was wanting to finish up. i do have the current trailers i want downloaded and now ready to use for tonight as another round of testing. what i havent quite figured out is how to choose the 2 movies (or more) at the beginning.

i set up all the other intros and pre-show stuff just fine but when selecting 1 movie i go into that movies Information panel (with the I button) then select Cinema Experience. CE then starts all the pre-show stuff and puts that selected movie into order. but once that movie finishes playing i get sent back to the main menu. how to select more than one movie if i want 2 or more movies?
----------------------

as far as streaming the movies across the network, i have no issues whatsoever. except for maybe the wife turning off the living room htpc (acts as my media server as well). the trailers streaming i do have the buffering issue as all we can get in my neck of the woods is 6Mbps download #firstworldproblems
---------------------------

one issue i have seen is that if i have local movie trailers on my living room htpc, i cannot select any trailer for use with the byt htpc. for local movie trailers it looks like i have to have them on the byt htpc. thats what i was going to try to iron out tonight.

---------------------------

yes im Hector

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: