Backyard Theater Forum
December 15, 2017, 03:13:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
95 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 03:13:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBMC w/ Cinema Experience  (Read 49673 times)
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 07:13:48 pm »

I had to come home and check my setup.  I have cartoons that play first, and they are in the Intro Video as two random videos from my Cartoons folder.  They are all in the .mpg format, and play just fine.  I remember that I had some .iso episode files in there and they didn't work, so I converted to .mpg.

Now I get to set everything up for tomorrow.  Hoping to get a double feature in.  All the neighbors will be there so there should be no noise complaints.  I made the mistake of asking what to watch last time.  This time I think I will just tell them. . .
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 08:18:58 am »

took a few snaps yesterday.

just for sanities' sake i made a custom menu option for Cinema Experience

started messing with the configuration. was able to get the trivia picture slides to work. used the disney pixar set found on avs and the xbmc ce forums (no pic). successfully played it back with the "Bare Necessities" song in the background. interesting find is that if CE plays once through all the slides in any folder and you have a song that lasts longer than the run through the slides, music will continue playing and you'll get the random audio visualizations for the remainder of the song length. i thought it would stop playing the song and go to the next step.

after the song finishes CE goes into a 10 second state of stupor. the brightness dims, the "thinking" animation pops up (that circle thing), and the background (still dimmed) reverts to the Movie menu. stays for 10 seconds then continues on. doesnt mess anything else up. weird.

noticed this too... opened up the xbmc remote on my iphone and the playlist shows up as below:

the files i told xbmc to 'Randomly play 'X' amount of files" from a certain folder show up as double of one commerical. on xbmc it plays (lets say) 2 random commercials, but  on the remote it shows 2 playings of the same one. also found out if you touch any item on the playlist on the remote, it will immediately play that file and end CE. so dont do it!

and for the cartoons i ended up doing the same thing. put 5 random cartoons into the Intro video folder.
all local movie trailers need to have "-trailer" added to the end of the file name in order to work.

couldnt get the Q&A slides to work though. im assuming i have to substitute out trivia slides and put the Q&A slides in there?

everette

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 09:16:53 am »

A terrible thing happened last night. I had all of my trivia slides (Q&A, stills, etc) stored on my external drive in a separate folder from all of my movies. This drive also stores all of the movie cover art that I use as backgrounds for the home menu. I run the "Artwork Organizer" script to put all of the movie posters into separate folders.

When I ran this script last night, it completely wiped my external drive.....movies, triva, music, inro videos and everything. I am devastated. I am now trying to run test disk to recover some of the lost data.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 09:49:08 am »

you mean ran the cinema experience script? you've ran it before havent you?

everette

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 10:16:24 am »

No the script I ran was an add-on called "Artwork Organizer". It is supposed to extract the movie posters and artwork and put them into folders so you can point XBMC to them and use them as backgrounds, etc.

The files it deleted were all of the files that Cinema Experience are pointed to.

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 11:56:23 am »

That is one of the reasons that I still use Eden.  Eden had a store for all of the images, and most skins knew where that was.  You could use Fanart in the background on your home screen, and it would just rotate through the images for you.

With Frodo, they changed that directory.  Now the skins don't work like they used to unless you do like everette said and point to a directory with all of your images.

I am an old "My Movies" convert, so I am still in the habit of scanning all of my movies with Media Center Master before putting them into my XBMC directory.  With that application it dowloads all the fanart and folder art.  I just move that information to another folder, and point to that.  I'm old school like that, and like to move files/folders on my own instead of allowing an application to do it.  I'm sitting on about 9TB of video storage on my NAS, and I'm not ready to lose any of it yet. . .

I hope your data recovery works everette.  Probably going to be hit and miss with some of the data.  Is it stuff that can be replaced, or no?
everette

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 01:11:43 pm »

Test disk recovered all of the data, but it is corrupted and the videos will not play. The jpeg slides will not open. I am trying the Recuva program now and it appears that many of the files are still there but the lartest ones, the movies, have beem overwritten. Ugh!

Luckily, all of the files are replaceable, I will just have to rip all of the discs again and redownload all of the slide packages that I had. I had nearly 3500 slides on this drive.

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 01:35:26 pm »

Where did you get all of those slides?  The only ones that I have are the Pixar ones that someone pointed me to back in the day.  I would like to get some more, but don't have the time to make them myself.

To bad you have to rip everything again.  That is a long process. To bad you don't live closer, I could help you "recover" some of those files a little faster with a copy. . .  All of my movies are in the .iso format though.

Tronn. . . I would be interested if you get the trivia slides working.  I tried to do that in the past and could find no reason they wouldn't work.  I don't know what I was missing, and I could find no documentation on how to resolve it.
everette

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 01:53:05 pm »

Many members of the XBMC forums have posted download links to various slide packages complete with the "slides.xml" file that makes the trivia function work.

Just do a google search for Cinema Experience Trivia Slides and you should find the xbmc forum links. I downloaded nearly every slide package I could find. Many of them were not very good quality so I just deleted those.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 02:31:48 pm »

heres the bulk of slides i got from the xbmc CE forums:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156908
-------------------------------
for reference (as the download links no longer work), heres another major thread for slides:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69270
another major theater pack thread with links to the AVS pixar slides thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69270
the AVS slide master thread. of note are the coca-cola slide packs available for purchase:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1320569/pre-movie-slides-master-thread
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:34:26 pm by tronn4 » Logged

Khylan

The BandWagon Poolside Cinema

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 01:08:46 pm »

This really looks like it takes time to get done. I work on a PC everyday, but to be honest I don't understand much about them.. I have programmers and IT folks for that. Since this is my first year doing the BYT I am sure that I will find things to improve. I have a huge collection of DVDs, but nothing that is on a hard drive... do I have to buy those movies digital to get them so they can be used? I have a few old laptops laying around, is there a minimum requirement for setting up a PC as your entertainment center? Hmmmmm I think I have way to many questions for this thread... I may need to start a new one unless there is another one on here that someone can point me to.

The BandWagon Poolside Cinema - Virginia Beach
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 02:25:07 pm »

xbmc is geared more for people that already have their movies in their pc's. just think of it like a jukebox for movies primarily. you can think of xbmc as a premium edition VLC media player. VLC, if you dont know, is a workhorse of a video program that plays almost anything you throw at it, in a very minimal interface.

cinema experience add-on is like frosting on top of a cake. its not really needed to display ones movies but rather to emulate the cinema experience with custom flair.

as for storing your movies you would have to start backing up your movies to a hard drive. DVD Shrink is what i use although there are a multitude of back up programs available.

edit: and it is taking some time to setup properly. maybe if i had dedicated a full weekend to it, i would have a fully working cinema experience. right now i can say i have it about 75% of where i want it.

Khylan

The BandWagon Poolside Cinema

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 02:30:25 pm »

Thanks Tronn... I think I will just use what I have for now and maybe start trying to play with this stuff and moving movies over to a HD during the winter months for next year.

The BandWagon Poolside Cinema - Virginia Beach
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 09:10:42 am »

Thanks Tronn... I think I will just use what I have for now and maybe start trying to play with this stuff and moving movies over to a HD during the winter months for next year.

Ripping your movies isn't hard, it is just time consuming.  Once you get it done though, you are good to go.  I would recommend labeling the folders Movie Title (Year), like Breakfast Club (1985) since you are starting from scratch.  It helps XBMC get the right titles for you movies.  I don't know if XBMC ever resolved the issue with IMDB, so I would use the years from www.themoviedb.org since that will most likely be your scrapper.  I have found discrepancies between IMDB and TMD in the past.

There is a learning curve as well when you first start using it, but once you get the hang of it you will wonder why you didn't use it sooner.  I agree with Tronn though. . . I have been using CE for about a year now, and still find myself changing things to fine tune it.  Have fun.
Corzak

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 10:05:08 am »

I would love to see a thread on setting up XBMC! I bought a laptop I bought awhile back that has an HDMI output and would love to use in for my BYT. I loaded up XBMC, read through most of the forum's 307 pages, ripped some of my movies to my hard drive, downloaded slide sets, set the paths and I get nothing. I admit I haven't spent a ton of time with it but being a tech I don't know why the program is so hard to do the initial set up or why there isn't a comprehensive setup guide that's not as convoluted as the forum pages at XBMC!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: