Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 11:10:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
92 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 11:10:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBMC w/ Cinema Experience  (Read 49670 times)
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2013, 10:48:22 am »

^i've been thinking of that too. this thread is kinda written for those with prior computer knowledge. a basic basic thread would be good.

it would be difficult though to figure out everyones pc/laptops' specs with what xbmc can run on, so i would argue that if you can download xbmc and have it run a test movie (dvd or otherwise) that should be the starting point.

also add in that each xbmc skin has a different way of dealing with add-ons. namely where certain functions are located.

everette

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2013, 11:07:34 am »

I would love to see a thread on setting up XBMC! I bought a laptop I bought awhile back that has an HDMI output and would love to use in for my BYT. I loaded up XBMC, read through most of the forum's 307 pages, ripped some of my movies to my hard drive, downloaded slide sets, set the paths and I get nothing. I admit I haven't spent a ton of time with it but being a tech I don't know why the program is so hard to do the initial set up or why there isn't a comprehensive setup guide that's not as convoluted as the forum pages at XBMC!

I agreeance wth tronn, a basic thread would be helpful for those who have never used XBMC or Cinema Experience. It sounds like you have the hardest part done, which is obtaining a device to run XBMC and a storage device and filling it with movies.

When I first tried the CE script, it did nothing for me either. I believe it is kind of picky as to how your videos and slides are stored in folders. There is a suggested file structure to use but I do not have it handy. Maybe someone can help me out and post a link to it. When I placed all of my slides and videos in this format, CE started to see the files and play them in the propper manner.

Also be sure to use a skin which integrates the CE "button" once installed. Aeon Nox is the skin i use (tronn too i believe). If you are using the stock skid (Confluence). I believe there is a bit of code you have to add to an .xml file in order to add this "button". Not hard to do, but easier if its already there.

pistolero56

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2013, 12:15:18 pm »

the xbmc sounds complicated from what i've been reading. me no have patience

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »

im writing a step by step using the aeon nox skin. i thought for sure the aeon nox was the default skin in 12.2 frodo. maybe it just was the one i had used before upgrading to 12.2?

everette's right that the hardest part is finding a configuration thats runs xbmc smoothly. even that cheapo android set-top box i had tried out was able to run xbmc dvd videos smoothly. no go on the hd stuff though.

xbmc itself is easy IF you have your media on a computer. adding on the Cinema Experience is where the wackiness begins. lol

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2013, 03:08:04 pm »

It would be hard to make a tutorial, since a lot of the settings are different for each skin.  Settings in one skin may not be available in another.  I would find a skin that has CE integrated into it first, then pick one of those to get started with.  I don't know how often they update their list, but on the CE XBMC Forum they have them listed.  Others are using Aeon Nox, that isn't listed, and it works.  So I'm sure the list isn't up to date.  I use Transparency, but think I'm going to check out Aeon Nox tonight.

As far as the file structure, I think that is only if you are going to use the integrated things like playing a DTS video if your movie is DTS, Playing the MPAA rating screen for the rating of your movie, etc. . .   Otherwise you can just point it to a folder and go from there.  I have mine in the order they play, and the option that it is.  Then I group my videos into those folders, and have it just randomly select one.  Unless there is a specific one I want to play.

Tronn, are you going to set up a tutorial on how to set things up?  I think changing the skin to Aeon Nox, Adding movies to your directory, and how to configure CE would be enough to get people started.  After that they can customize it however they want.  I'm going to download the skin now to test it out.  Maybe even upgrade to Frodo and drop Eden. . .
everette

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2013, 03:40:07 pm »

Maybe even upgrade to Frodo and drop Eden. . .

I just upgraded myself as I was afraid of breaking something that worked fine as is. Aeon Nox is a good skin, highly customizable. I haven't tried many others.

Tronn, the stock skin is Confluence but an upgrade to Frodo won't change your skin, so if you were on Aeon before, then it will be installed once you upgrade.

Can't wait to get more BYT'ers on the XBMC bandwagon!

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2013, 09:31:28 pm »

I  upgraded my laptop that I use for my BYT, but left my HTPC the way it is.  Same as you everette, don't want to break something that is working the way it is right now.  I don't think Aeon Nox was around back when I was looking at Skins.  I put in on the laptop, customized things up, and I think I like it.  It seems pretty stable, and once you learn where a few things are it isn't to hard to configure.

The one thing though, I did set up CE and for some reason it isn't working.  I went to the movies, then used the sub menu for Cinema.  After making the selection it goes directly to the movies and doesn't play any of the CE configured settings.  I'm going to have to mess with it a little tomorrow. Maybe take my laptop to work. . . Trying to get it ready before a showing tomorrow night.  I'm hoping that I don't have to relabel all of my folders to the structure CE "recommends".  I just went through them all tonight and deleted and renamed a bunch of things. . .
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2013, 10:03:30 pm »

finally got home. about to take lots of pictures of my byt xbmc ce setup (thats a mouthful!). i've already written up a lengthy intro on the xbmc background and its advantages in a htpc/byt setting. starting the CE segment.

i aint no reporter, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2013, 10:14:04 pm »

I was thinking about doing one as well, but I want to get mine up and working the way I want first.  I have with Aeon Nox, the way I did with my current Transparency skin, that you just keep finding more and more options to customize the more you mess with it. 

I think just the basics will be good.  I remember the first time I used it and added DVD movies folders with all the .vob files.  I didn't click the option for each movie is in a separate folder, so I had 2-7 copies of every movie I had.  That was the time I quit using it for a while, then came back to it.  Basic configurations, adding movies and television, and setting up CE.  After that people can just play.

I'm not sure if you are using Win7 or not, but it has a pretty good screen capture function built into it if you want to get some screen shots.  Just do a program search for "snipping tool".  Works pretty well for stuff like this.  Good luck.
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2013, 10:25:11 pm »

yup. win7 snip tool ftw. aye-aye on the basic config, adding movies and tv and setting up CE

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2013, 02:05:43 pm »

The one thing though, I did set up CE and for some reason it isn't working.  I went to the movies, then used the sub menu for Cinema.  After making the selection it goes directly to the movies and doesn't play any of the CE configured settings.

Well, apparently it helps if you click OK when done making your changes to CE.  I made the changes again to Aeon Nox and I think it is going work better with CE than the Transparecy skin I was using.  Have my new videos from Ivipid, new cartoons, and I'm good to go for tonight.
Garp

A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2013, 02:35:21 pm »

A tutorial would be great. Might not be quite the same, but I tried setting up the XBMC version for a Raspberry Pi and got stuck very quickly. Haven't gone back to it yet, as I currently run Plex through my Roku via a (now always on) laptop. However, if I can follow a step-by-step guide, I might have another bash.
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2013, 06:40:36 pm »

have most of the pics i think i need, stuck on how exactly to make the tutorial. so simple a caveman can do it or you need to be an ikea assembly master.

Corzak

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2013, 12:51:52 am »

The thread is starting to get me motivated! I have Aeon Nox......followed the the file structure that's on the front page of the XBMC Forum.......downloaded more slides......transferred my drive in ads from my old machine..... still nothing. Next week I'm hoping to have some time to play with it! I haven't done a movie in a couple of months and my friends say it's time. I would love to have it working for my next showing!
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2013, 06:23:14 pm »

I was thinking of making a small tutorial on how to do the basic configuration for XBMC, but as I was taking screen shots I felt like I was reinventing the wheel.  This information had to be out there somewhere.  A quick search came up with a brief explanation of all the settings, and it can be found HERE.

If anyone needed more help after that, I'm sure there is more than enough knowledge here to help. . . If not then the xbmc forums would be able to help for sure.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: