Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 09:45:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
90 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 09:45:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northwest Drive in update  (Read 2730 times)
SR

View Profile WWW
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:16:43 am »

The Valley 6 Drive in located in Auburn Washington closed for the season last September and will not be re-opening.  So Western Washington has lost a 6 screen drive in theatre.

On the brighter side, the Skyline Drive in located in Shelton, Washington did a kick starter fund raiser to raise money for a digital projector.   It was successful.  They have also registered themselves as a historic landmark and are planning to do several remodeling projects, as well as restoring there marque. 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:09:46 am »

dang! i wonder if one could go inside the Valley 6 (from google maps it looks more like a 5) buildings and find things :wink, wink:

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:40:46 pm »

dang! i wonder if one could go inside the Valley 6 (from google maps it looks more like a 5) buildings and find things :wink, wink:

Unfortunatly the Valley 6 redevelopement is something that the owners have been planning since as early as the late-90's or maybe even earlier as such some things were left unrepaired.  There was a windstorm I think it was in 2003 that damaged screen 4 quite a bit.  The owners choose not to repair it, so yes for the last 10 years it has been effectivly a 5 screen. 

I haven't had the time to make the trip over to the valley to see what might be left, but from what I understand they were pretty quick with the bull dozers.  I have heard the screens and one of the snack bars have been leveled already, but that doesn't mean there isn't some interesting trash laying around.  The Valley was still using cine-fi AM technology with the little clips that had to be attached to your car antenna.  If I could have one thing from that place it would be a cine-fi antenna clip, such an unusual system today.

A little interesting history about the Valley 6.  It was owned by United Theatres.  In our area United Theatre was the largest drive in owner, I'd guess they had 15 or more drive ins in the area back in the day.  In 1996 United Theatre closed the Midway drive in which left the Valley as thier only operating drive in.  It was also at that time that United Theatre closed it's corperate offices.  Whats interesting is that the Valley was slated to close in 1999.  Infact it did close.  It was anounced at the end of the 1999 season, but mysteriously it reopened in 2000 and ran another 12 years. 

So the closing of the Valley was the end of not only the last drive in the seattle area but also the closure of a comany formed in 1948.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: