Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 07:59:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
97 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 07:59:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Went to the Drive-In last weekend.  (Read 5153 times)
jbachman2

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2013, 04:12:23 pm »

We went to the Despicable Me 2 / Monsters University double feature at the Showboat Drive-in outside of Houston on July 3rd.  I really like the drive-in and the concession stand was really good and the prices were very reasonable but they didn't have any of the pre-show count down animations, they didn't show a short cartoon before the first movie and at intermission there was nothing, the screen just went dark and the FM channel was silent until the second movie started, which I had no idea when that was going to happen because there was no count down!

I guess I was a bit disappointed that they were lacking the showmanship that I remembered when I was younger from other Drive-In's.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 05:19:42 pm »

We went to the Despicable Me 2 / Monsters University double feature at the Showboat Drive-in outside of Houston on July 3rd.  I really like the drive-in and the concession stand was really good and the prices were very reasonable but they didn't have any of the pre-show count down animations, they didn't show a short cartoon before the first movie and at intermission there was nothing, the screen just went dark and the FM channel was silent until the second movie started, which I had no idea when that was going to happen because there was no count down!

I guess I was a bit disappointed that they were lacking the showmanship that I remembered when I was younger from other Drive-In's.

That's how the Valley 6 was out here before they closed.  Nothing before the movie, or intermission we were just happy it was still there.  But it is less cost for the owners I would think.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:54 pm »

i would think a crafty drive-in owner would/should try to ring up some extra revenue by showing ads. if not national ads by national brands (coke, pepsi, candies, etc) maybe ringing up the local businesses.

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:18:59 am »

i would think a crafty drive-in owner would/should try to ring up some extra revenue by showing ads. if not national ads by national brands (coke, pepsi, candies, etc) maybe ringing up the local businesses.

I agree, and I can't speak for the drive in mentioned in the initial post, but at the Valley it was planned for redevelopment for about the last 20 years.  The Corporate owners would not spend a dime on the place, so no ads, no cartons nothing except the movies and trailers.  They weren't even allowed to play music over there audio system, which by the way was an old Cine-FI am system, the type where you had to connect a wire from the speaker post to your car antenna.  I'm painting a dismal picture, but I always enjoyed the place because it was like a step back in time. 

Perhaps the owners of the drive in in the first post just aren't motivated for some reason (or don't have the ability or equipment) to run the ads, or perhaps they can't afford the cartoons.  The digital conversion maybe affecting them too.  I don't know but I would suggest, that if it is an otherwise fun place, enjoy it for what it is and for what they do have.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
jbachman2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:31:45 pm »

That is a good point about the digital projection.  In fact, they have the old film projectors in the concession stand as decoration.  Their website http://www.theshowboatdrivein.com/ is really well done and it says that it's a family operation so I am sure they are looking for ways to improve the experience.  Maybe I'll email them this link for ideas http://retroroger.home.mchsi.com/drivein.html.
nevinh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 07:51:50 pm »

One thing that could be the issue is that after the theatre spent all the mega bucks on going digital (about $75,000 per screen), they don't have the funds to purchase the intermission films (files).  I heard my buddy that owns a drive-in say that the "performing foods" intermission reel (file) was close to a grand (granted they only have to buy it once.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: