Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 11:15:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
65 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:15:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROKU Streaming Player Knowledgeble Owner Happy to Answer ROKU Related Questions  (Read 5789 times)
TXTom

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2013, 09:36:41 pm »

Hi I have seen the ROKU box mentioned in a few postings, but nothing recent. I thought i would bring it up as I have been using one since 2008 (so about 5 years now) and now have 2 in the house as well as a 3m streaming projector with a ROKU stick. This makes me a definite fan, but also a bit of an expert. I bring this up in case any of yall are looking for options for streaming movies or TV shows and have questions regarding the ROKU box. I am NOT affiliated with ROKU in any way, just a very satisfied owner. I also have no vested interest so i will not try and sway you one way or another, just answer your questions in the most knowledgeable truthful way possible.

Let me start off by saying that their is NO single streaming device on the market that does everything! I am also as most of you a bit of a gadget guy, so i did and still routinely do research on most of the solutions out their.

In my opinion the ROKU box strengths are in how long it has been on the market, 7 plus years, the number of channels available for it over 750 and counting as of now, the fact that ALL the boxes on the market today are HD up to 1080p, and most importantly its ease of setting up and using. It is truly a plug and play device that my tech phobic wife can install and set up, and my 6 year old daughter can use with ease!

In addition to the usual channels like Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon on Demand, it also has streaming music like Pandora, iHeart Radio and Amazon  MP3, weather channels, several pay movie channels, PBS Kids, Smithsonian, sports channels like NBA Live and baseball and LOTS more! Basically it has something for everyone and a good mix of free and pay channels. You can even create your own private and or public channels! Some of models even have a USB port you can connect your hard drive or memory stick to and watch your whole ripped dvd collection, home movies or even look at your pictures. So if you are looking for a streaming solution that has a solution for any budget from $49 to $99, is HD quality, has a ton of channels and features and is quick and easy to set up and use then the ROKU box may be the solution for you. If you are looking to automate your BYT, or want a device you can constantly tweak and or customize then the ROKU is probably not for you.

As I mentioned previously, if any of you have any questions regarding the ROKU box and the various models I am happy to do my best to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:53:38 am by TXTom » Logged

Tom - Moonlight Movies By The Lake, Medina Lake, TX
Garp

A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:05:54 pm »

Another Roku fan here! Just wanted to add a few links that have increased my Roku enjoyment no end:

http://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=472e986f4c92f26c7dada358abb7cda1 - Roku Forum. Lots of good advice and info here, plus private channels are often promoted on this forum that you won't find in the Channel Store.

http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/ - This private blog is probably the most up-to-date list of Roku channels. Catastrophe Girl is an active Roku Forum member and prides herself on maintaining an accurate list.

http://www.plexapp.com/ - With Plex running on my laptop, I can view films and shows I've downloaded to my external hard drive through my Roku. Pretty easy to set up and runs smoothly.

Thanks for starting this thread, Tom!
TXTom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:15:05 pm »

My pleasure! Glad to see other like minded ROKU fans. I often think ROKU does a poor job of promoting its products, as most of the time when I mention ROKU most people just give me a blank stare. Even the sales people at electronics stores like B est Buy seem to know nothing about it. I believe if people were more aware of it and what it can and cannot do it would be a more popular product. My main reason for starting the thread was to help inform our fellow BYT brethren about its capabilities so they could make an educated decision if they were considering a purchase. I would much rather see someone not buy one then spend their hard earned money on one and find out it does not meet their needs!

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:00:05 pm »

I would like to watch thursday night foot ball in my backyard theater off my dtv in the house will this do it?
TXTom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:15:29 pm »

Unfortunately as of now no, at least not with the ROKU alone. I say that as you can stream content from your computer to the ROKU, so if you can pick it up on you computer you could stream it through your ROKU but that is not actually watching on a ROKU channel. Their are official channels for basketball and baseball but no official channel for football. Their may be a private channel that allows this but not legally. All this being said, they are always adding new channels, so one never know what may come in the future.

bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:38:53 pm »

Curiosity questions:

Does the Roku have a working SlingPlayer app to watch TV from my Slingbox? Or does the web-based SlingPlayer work?

Do Roku web browsers have the latest Adobe Flash support?

TXTom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:55:23 pm »

Their is no official ROKU interface for the Slingplayer, and I have not heard of anyone working on one even as a private channel or app. The ROKU currently has no web browser. A few years ago they had a beta version but it was pulled. Their are a few browsers that have been developed by individuals (Their is a SDK for the ROKU), but of the several I have tried none were very impressive and none supported flash.

Guernsey Zoo

Living life outside the cage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 02:51:48 pm »

I have recently been given a Roku LT, but unfortunately Roku don't seem to want to offer any useful channels for my region, not even Netflix. It won't let me add channels via the web, so it is currently little more use than a purple paperweight.

Has anyone had experience with registering their Roku account in a region outside of their own geographical location to access additional services?

I tried registering again, this time with a valid US postal address, but still get the not available in my region messages, so it is probably down to the geo location of the IP address from my ISP that is causing the problem.

I guess I could try getting a VPN account to register the Roku and get some working apps, but then I don't know if the Roku would continue to work once it was back on my standard IP address.

Has anyone taken their Roku on holiday with them to a different country and know if it still works when abroad?
Guernsey Zoo

Living life outside the cage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 06:42:12 am »

I eventually found a solution for my problems with the lack of channels on the Roku LT.

I deleted the Roku account that I had originally created and factory reset the device.

Then I created a 'US' Roku account, using a real US street address, and then linked the Roku device to this new account, so far so good.

I signed up to a service that (for a small monthly fee) intercepts my router DNS requests and effectively bypasses the geo-IP location of many popular online media services.

This allows me to now watch whatever Netflix region I desire on my Roku, simply by clicking the required region on the DNS re-drirector's website.

My UK based Netflix account automatically works with the other Netflix regions too, just as if I was on vacation in one of those regions.

I can enjoy Crackle, Netflix, Vevo, USTVNow, and all the other services that Roku would have otherwise denied to me.

I have to say the Roku is a great little device, and streams perfectly to my projector.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: