Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 09:33:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
103 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 09:33:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dish Network Hopper with Wireless Joeys  (Read 9314 times)
jwh92020

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »

For those of you Dish Network customers who have the Hopper Receiver, this is something cool. If you also have a Joey (remote receiver unit), you can connect the Joey to the Hopper via wifi. I tried to use their Dish Anywhere app for a pay per view and I was unable to stream it. I spoke with several people @ Dish who told me wifi can't be done. I then talked to someone in their broadband support who told me it can be done. He also sent me wifi adapter for the Joey ($25). I laready have an Iogear Universal Ethernet to WIFI adapter ($35 on Amazon) that I use on a Blue Ray player that only has ethernet input. I connected it to one of my Joeys and after the info loaded, I have a wireless connection to my receiver in the living room. This will be great for me as we do a lot of PPV and VOD movies and it will allow us the have them outside as well. Not sure what the range of the units from Dish is, but this Iogear gets me solid signal at 100 ft from my router. I posted a couple of pics - 1 is of the wifi unit on the projector, 1 is the picture (shown on a blue wall in afternoon sun in my office) and 1 is of the back of the Joey. You'll notice that there is no coax attached to the Joey. If you are a Dish user and are interested in this, don't let their front line tech support tell you it can't be done. I went through that with them. Get to Broadband Support and they will get you hooked up. If you want anymore info, feel free to PM me.

* Wireless Joey 001.JPG (366.89 KB, 2032x1524 - viewed 664 times.)

* Wireless Joey 002.JPG (445.13 KB, 2032x1524 - viewed 617 times.)

* Wireless Joey 004.JPG (791.22 KB, 2032x1524 - viewed 2377 times.)

Life is too short to not have fun!
bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:47:03 pm »

Nice to know! Can you still watch live TV this way as well as OnDemand, PPV, DVR content, etc.?

And do you have broadband bridging enabled on your Hopper?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:49:44 pm by bdwalker1 » Logged

jwh92020

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:44:09 pm »

Yes, you can watch live tv. It's just as if you are using the Hopper. I had to check the bridging status - it is disabled. When I connected the Iogear to the Joey and powered it up, it made it's own connection, loaded all the updates, program info and presto - wireless Dish Network!

bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:55:02 pm »

When I get a chance I'll test mine with bridging enabled.  I have the same ioGear WiFi adapter you do on one of my Joeys.  I'll pull the coax and see what happens.

bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:30:59 pm »

I pulled the coax on my Joey that has the ioGear universal WiFi adapter attached, and I am amazed that it seems to be working just as if the coax was still plugged in.

jwh92020

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 07:06:43 am »

I moved mine to the other side of the house so that my wife can use it in her work out room. It's about 45 feet from the router and 80 feet from the Hopper (not sure if that makes a difference) and it works great. The units that Dish sent are supposed to be here tomorrow (Weds). I'm going to hook 1 up to my other Joey and compare them. I'll let you know what I find out. This weekend I'm going to plug in a 100ft extension cord use a computer monitor w/hdmi to see how far I can get from the router before they lose signal. The units (Netgear) that Dish provides are $25, which is less than I paid for the Iogear at Amazon. I asked Dish to send me 2, but the tracking info shows 3 and they only charged my account for 1. I'll have to see how that plays out.

Jimchan66

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 04:13:45 pm »

I have been looking for something like this. I have Dish and this would allow me to take the Joey form my bedroom and use it to watch shows in my garage or yard.  One question I have is do you also need to have a Sling Adapter for the DVR as well as a wifi adapter for the Joey in oreder for it to work?
bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 04:43:56 pm »

I have been looking for something like this. I have Dish and this would allow me to take the Joey form my bedroom and use it to watch shows in my garage or yard.  One question I have is do you also need to have a Sling Adapter for the DVR as well as a wifi adapter for the Joey in oreder for it to work?

I have a Sling Adapter, but I'm pretty certain it is not required at all to operate the Joeys via WiFi. Sling technology operates differently.  As long as your Hopper and Joeys are on the same network you should be good.

jwh92020

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 08:17:55 pm »

I just received the wifi adapters from Dish. They look like a regular USB wifi antenna. The label reads "FG, Dual-Band 802.11N WIFI Adapter kit with cable. I pulled the Iogear unit from the Joey in the work out room and connected one of these (I received 3?). Unplugged JOey, connected wifi adapter, plugged in Joey and waited. The "wireless" info screen did not appear on it's own, so I went through the menu to network settings and connected there. I had to scan for available networks, found mine, entered network key and presto - I had signal! One thing I do like about these is that you get a signal strength reading (0 - 100) in the wireless setup menu. The unit I have connected is 45 ft from my router and the signal strength reading is 94. The units come with a velcro tab to attach them as well a plastic holder (this is what you are supposed to attach the velcro to), but I found that using the holder, the USB plug did not connect to the extension cable (Dish provides this) securely and was a problem to get the Joey to read the connection. I just discarded the holder, connected the "antenna" to the cable and put the velcro tab on the antenna and stuck it to the wall (it's a workout room, not a home theater). I placed the antenna on the wall and it's working fine. I've included a couple of pics of the unit. Jim Chan - the Sling Adapter is for "Dish Anywhere", their app that let's you watch your Hopper via computer, phone, etc. I just loaded the app on to my wife's Kindle Fire and my Fire HD. It's a bit tricky because the app is not from Amazon, but it can be done.

* Dish WIFI Antenna 003.JPG (590.97 KB, 2032x1524 - viewed 476 times.)

* Dish WIFI Antenna 001.JPG (391.66 KB, 2032x1524 - viewed 547 times.)

Jimchan66

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 12:41:30 pm »

Sorry if this seams redundant or simple but some of the info on the internet shows this adapter being plugged into the Hopper which is confusing me.  That being said basically all I need to do is get one of these WIFI adapters from Dish and plug it into my Joey and I will have all the Joey functions without the need of a coax cable?
bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 01:10:23 pm »

Sorry if this seams redundant or simple but some of the info on the internet shows this adapter being plugged into the Hopper which is confusing me.  That being said basically all I need to do is get one of these WIFI adapters from Dish and plug it into my Joey and I will have all the Joey functions without the need of a coax cable?

Yes, this seems to be the case if you already have your Hopper attached to your home network.  If not, then you need to either run a LAN cable to your Hopper or also get a WiFi adapter for your Hopper.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:47:53 pm by bdwalker1 » Logged

jwh92020

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 06:22:24 pm »

Bruce is correct - the Hopper must be connected to your router (mine is hardwired) and then the wifi units will work on the Joeys. I don't know if there is anything proprietary about these adapters (they are made by Netgear), but they work. At $25, they are cheaper than the Iogear adapters and Dish will support them. Dish can't (won't) support the Iogear. In fact, when I told them I had connected using one, they said they had no idea it would work with the Joey.

Jimchan66

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 12:23:42 pm »

My Hopper is connected to my network so I ordered a WIFI connector to use with my Joey.  Should arrive on Tuesday, canít wait to have TV on the big screen.
jwh92020

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 02:37:06 pm »

Make sure you follow the instructions for connecting it. They are very device specific. I found that the clear plastic "holder" for the unit caused the connection between the adapter and the extension cable to not be tight enough.i just used the velcro tab on the adapter itself and it holds fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: