Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 05:43:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
101 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:43:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Popcorn Machine - Clean up  (Read 15069 times)
Hawkes

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:21:03 pm »

Hello old friends and those new BYT'ers!

It's been a couple years since I've gotten the equipment out... I have no excuse!  I have been asked by one of my new neighbors if they can borrow our popcorn machine and before I completely commit, I wanted to pull it out and clean it up.  Try as I might before I packed it up to get every last bit of salt and grimy butter, it would appear that I did not do as well as I thought.  See pictures...

This is just the base.  I am wondering if there is a way to clean this up or should I try to replace it or paint it with some type of high temperature paint... thoughts?

Also the top does not look like this, but does have what appears to be white salt particles stuck to the top of the interior (underside above the kettle primarily).

Is there a cleaner I should get or just buy replacement parts?

* IMG_20130731_203741_902.jpg (341.77 KB, 1224x690 - viewed 415 times.)

* IMG_20130731_203802_593.jpg (369.93 KB, 1224x690 - viewed 359 times.)

* IMG_20130731_203811_590.jpg (383.54 KB, 1224x690 - viewed 365 times.)

-Hawkes

bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34:35 pm »

I've had my popper a little over a year, and I noticed the salt-like deposits on the inside top started appearing as soon as I started using the popper.  I've wondered if I can/should try to clean those.  Simple scrubbing didn't do much for them.

For the stuff you're seeing on the warming pan have you tried to scrub it with some steel wool?

Hawkes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:18:23 pm »

That was the first thing I did and it removed the minor rust... just wanted it to look nice, but I suppose no one will see it once the popcorn is popped.  Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing?

-Hawkes

pistolero56

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 02:13:59 pm »

pick up some steel wool and scrub, it should take most of it off. rinse off and pop

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
l33tDad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:43:33 pm »

BEST stuff in the world for cleaning caked on "stuff" Smiley
CycloneCinema

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:57:41 am »

We got these two products and they work extremely well! One is  Heat n Klein and the other is Carbon-off!!!

* ResizedImage_1375455055337.jpg (31.86 KB, 540x304 - viewed 375 times.)
bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 06:41:10 pm »

Also the top does not look like this, but does have what appears to be white salt particles stuck to the top of the interior (underside above the kettle primarily).

I haven't seen issues with my popcorn deck as posted above, but I did have the icky salty looking stuff and some sort of orange build-up on the top of my popper. Last fall I decided to do something about it. I did a thorough cleaning/sanding of the top and painted it with Rustoleum's Appliance Epoxy paint. After my season opener this year I was able to easily wipe the top clean. The pictures below were taken after my wipe-down after popping three batches a couple of weekends ago. (I don't have a before picture, but maybe someone with a similar popper can post a picture of the salt deposit looking stuff.)

My process went like this:

1) Remove kettle, doors & metal door "chute" from popper
2) Take off top access panel to get at electronics area
3) Remove the kettle holder hardware
4) Remove door latch hardware
5) Push kettle outlet through top (to make masking it easier)
6) Reinstall top panel (to make it easier for popper to sit upside-down)
7) Turn popper upside-down
8 ) Thoroughly clean inside top (this was especially hard with 2-3 years of build-up)
9) Thoroughly sand inside top (I used an oscillating tool and went through 6+ sheets of sandpaper thanks to gummy residue)
10) Clean inside of popper to remove sanding dust
11) Mask over light fixture, kettle motor/shaft and outlet
12) Mask frame/glass
13) Apply paint - I used four coats (Don't forget to paint the metal bracket that holds the magnetic door latch.)
14) When done painting, unmask
15) After paint fully cures reassemble.

For anyone buying a popper with the galvanized metal looking top like mine had, I highly recommend doing this before use -- cleaning the built-up gunk off of mine sucked.

This being my first season with the new paint I can't vouch for longevity.  I'm hoping my thorough prep work means the paint got a good bond.  If I have any problems with the paint peeling or not holding up to the heat, steam and oil exposure I will be sure to follow up here.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:06:03 pm by bdwalker1 » Logged

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 03:39:57 pm »

I haven't seen issues with my popcorn deck as posted above, but I did have the icky salty looking stuff and some sort of orange build-up on the top of my popper. Last fall I decided to do something about it. I did a thorough cleaning/sanding of the top and painted it with Rustoleum's Appliance Epoxy paint. After my season opener this year I was able to easily wipe the top clean. The pictures below were taken after my wipe-down after popping three batches a couple of weekends ago. (I don't have a before picture, but maybe someone with a similar popper can post a picture of the salt deposit looking stuff.)

My process went like this:

1) Remove kettle, doors & metal door "chute" from popper
2) Take off top access panel to get at electronics area
3) Remove the kettle holder hardware
4) Remove door latch hardware
5) Push kettle outlet through top (to make masking it easier)
6) Reinstall top panel (to make it easier for popper to sit upside-down)
7) Turn popper upside-down
8 ) Thoroughly clean inside top (this was especially hard with 2-3 years of build-up)
9) Thoroughly sand inside top (I used an oscillating tool and went through 6+ sheets of sandpaper thanks to gummy residue)
10) Clean inside of popper to remove sanding dust
11) Mask over light fixture, kettle motor/shaft and outlet
12) Mask frame/glass
13) Apply paint - I used four coats (Don't forget to paint the metal bracket that holds the magnetic door latch.)
14) When done painting, unmask
15) After paint fully cures reassemble.

For anyone buying a popper with the galvanized metal looking top like mine had, I highly recommend doing this before use -- cleaning the built-up gunk off of mine sucked.

This being my first season with the new paint I can't vouch for longevity.  I'm hoping my thorough prep work means the paint got a good bond.  If I have any problems with the paint peeling or not holding up to the heat, steam and oil exposure I will be sure to follow up here.

Question does the pop corn touch the painted surface or does water droplets fall on the corn?
bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 04:33:05 pm »

Question does the pop corn touch the painted surface or does water droplets fall on the corn?

1) No, the lids on the kettle allow the popcorn to cascade over the sides, but the popcorn does not actually pop up to the top of the cabinet.
2) I have never noticed any condensation on the inside of the popper that could fall onto the popcorn, but I will watch for that tonight.

Are you concerned with the paint contaminating the product?

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 07:23:50 pm »

1) No, the lids on the kettle allow the popcorn to cascade over the sides, but the popcorn does not actually pop up to the top of the cabinet.
2) I have never noticed any condensation on the inside of the popper that could fall onto the popcorn, but I will watch for that tonight.

Are you concerned with the paint contaminating the product?

Yes.      look at number 2 here ........http://www.livelovediy.com/2014/02/10-things-you-should-know-about-spray.html

I wanted to spray an outdoor bar a few years back & krylon said it was not food safe but in 30 days most of the VOC's? would be out of the paint...but this was without heat.....Just check because the company you used did not answer my questions on it.......just becareful
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:29:43 pm by genesis76 » Logged
bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 01:56:55 pm »

The datasheet for the Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy specifies that it is harmful if swallowed/inhaled and that it is not for use on high heat surfaces like stovetops & oven interiors.

Since popcorn doesn't really contact the top, I did not see any condesation that could drip onto the popcorn and since the top always stays cool enough to touch I don't think think there is any danger.

Most of the warnings in the paint's MSDS seem to apply to the product in its uncured state. The accelerants and solvents are pretty nasty if inhaled/ingested.

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 04:27:32 pm »

The datasheet for the Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy specifies that it is harmful if swallowed/inhaled and that it is not for use on high heat surfaces like stovetops & oven interiors.

Since popcorn doesn't really contact the top, I did not see any condesation that could drip onto the popcorn and since the top always stays cool enough to touch I don't think think there is any danger.

Most of the warnings in the paint's MSDS seem to apply to the product in its uncured state. The accelerants and solvents are pretty nasty if inhaled/ingested.

Good! It is always good to check
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 12:28:40 am »

I have to admit when I read the first post about the spray paint I kind of wondered if it was truly ok to paint the top inside of the popcorn machine like that myself.  My first suspicion is that even if a small amount of something does come from the paint it's not like your eating 3 meals a day out of it, heck your probably lucky if you eat out of it a couple times a week.  However if it was me, I'd err on the side of caution and coat the paint with a food safe sealant, which you can get in a spray can, bullseye makes one of them, but your have to go to craft store to get it.  The other plus is that it will keep that new paint looking new for a long time to come because it'll seal out the moisture and salt that may have damage the original paint. 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
bdwalker1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 01:46:01 am »

I'd err on the side of caution and coat the paint with a food safe sealant, which you can get in a spray can, bullseye makes one of them

Not a bad idea. The Zinsser Bulls Eye Clear Shellac claims to be all-natural & non-toxic, but if you look at its MSDS it carries most of the same warnings about ingestion, inhalation and skin contact as the Appliance Epoxy does.

it'll seal out the moisture and salt that may have damage the original paint. 

The thing is there was no original paint -- just bare sheet metal that may have had some sort of galvinization done to it. And the metal wasn't damaged that I could tell; it just had icky build-up on it that did not wipe off easily. I would have preferred they use stainless steel for the top like the bottom "popcorn deck" is made of.

lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 11:58:38 am »

I look at it like this... back in the day food items such as a popcorn maker was dressed in paints that had lead and all kinds of things in them and most of those ol' codgers are living up and in their 90s while the "healthy" lifestyle peps are keeling over with heart attacks and running in front of buses...  to me if it looks good and is easy to clean, roll with it...

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: