Backyard Theater Forum
December 17, 2017, 10:40:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
108 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 10:40:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Customer refuses to get movie license, turn it down?  (Read 17546 times)
Outta Control

Tanna-na-na-na-na-na-na-na...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 03:26:49 pm »

I'll chime in to say that in my experience I clearly explain to the potential client about the laws in regards to licensing. If they can not afford the licensing I work with them on some options that are available such as a different movie that cost less to get license. I also offer them way to offset the cost of the license such as advertisements pre-show. I feel that there are ways to deal or make the hurt more manageable but if they clearly do not want to do the leg work on their end then I would not do mine. I would explain to them the amount of liability that I may face but also the liability they will also face.

And just for giggles my client and I has been approached by someone in regards to the licensing and we had to show this person that we did have the license. It made me think that this person works for a commercial movie theater and was probably thinking we are taking business away from her. So it does happen so make sure you do your due diligence in protecting yourself.

Company name: Backyard Flicks Outdoor Cinema
Site: http://backyardflicks.com
cecilb

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 10:11:12 am »

I'll chime in to say that in my experience I clearly explain to the potential client about the laws in regards to licensing. If they can not afford the licensing I work with them on some options that are available such as a different movie that cost less to get license. I also offer them way to offset the cost of the license such as advertisements pre-show. I feel that there are ways to deal or make the hurt more manageable but if they clearly do not want to do the leg work on their end then I would not do mine. I would explain to them the amount of liability that I may face but also the liability they will also face.

And just for giggles my client and I has been approached by someone in regards to the licensing and we had to show this person that we did have the license. It made me think that this person works for a commercial movie theater and was probably thinking we are taking business away from her. So it does happen so make sure you do your due diligence in protecting yourself.

To clarify, can you describe the venue?

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
Outta Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 10:31:16 am »

Sure it was a city Park and Rec event when it happened where about 500+ people were present. I mean this person came out of nowhere. Basically walked right up from the parking lot area to me first then the we both walk to the city admin that handles the events. She introduced her name but that was the only info she gave about her. After she left we both just shrugged it off.

cecilb

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 11:14:34 pm »

Sure it was a city Park and Rec event when it happened where about 500+ people were present. I mean this person came out of nowhere. Basically walked right up from the parking lot area to me first then the we both walk to the city admin that handles the events. She introduced her name but that was the only info she gave about her. After she left we both just shrugged it off.

Big event.......I'd insist on licence. Not so for backyard family/neighbor setup.

Imagine that an advertised event with a few weeks lead time would bring out the swank police

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
Outta Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 12:24:08 am »

Big event.......I'd insist on licence. Not so for backyard family/neighbor setup.

Imagine that an advertised event with a few weeks lead time would bring out the swank police

Oh no doubt but for a backyard Mr & Mrs Smith gig they should not to worry. That is unless it is outside the home.

cdepaola

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 04:09:35 pm »

I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to chime in. 

First, when I was operating I did have a lawyer who wrote up my contracts and that I consulted with on subject such as this.  The general consensus in her office was that if our company was to show a movie for a client who had not obtained a license we could 100% be held liable. Regardless of any verbage we put into the contract.

Weather someone has ever approached you, or not, and asked you produce a license is not really relevant. This doesn't change the law and potential liability you would be opening yourself up to.  With that said I highly suggest everyone actually speak to the licensing agencies, read applicable laws, ask for professional legal opinions, and assess the risks vs benefit.  I can tell you that I have 100% been approached and asked to produce a license, once by a studio representative on a larger event and once by the owner of local brick and mortar theater who thought he was going to stir up trouble.

Unless a client had experience in the licensing process we always acted at our clients agent.  We would obtain availability and pricing information, fill out all appropriate forms, get the client to sign them, and then submit them or our client. Payment in most cases was handled directly by the client but we did on numerous occasions handle even this as part of the cost of the event.

If a commercial client refused to obtain licensing I would then refuse to complete the event. If a downpayment had already been made they may or may not have gotten that back depending on how close we were to their event date.

Outta Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 04:36:22 pm »

To enforce what cdepaola has stated, I attended a copyright class presented by out local specialized attorney. From that class I learned that flat out do not show a movie, outside from a home, without a license. I was informed that movie studios take these action seriously and have the time, aggressiveness, lawyers, and money to fight any violators of the copyright.

pistolero56

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 03:31:44 pm »

Great information guys.
Bottom line is, get a license because nothing else will cover you.

thanks again

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: