Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 12:30:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
122 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 12:30:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Digital WD TV Live Media Player  (Read 18921 times)
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 06:55:49 pm »

You're welcome Smiley

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to un-pause my DVR and continue watching the NBA playoffs  Smiley

Thank you... thank you!  I genuinely appreciate the detailed responses (and that you took time away from watching the playoffs!).

Researching your part number confirms Gen2 of the Live model (aka the original Live Plus).  So, that's what I want!  I checked the WDLXTV website.  You're still running the latest firmware for that model.

I was hoping using a playlist might be the trick to making the spinning arrow and info boxes go away.  However, you're not using a playlist file.  So, I'll stop flogging that dead horse.

From your pics and videos on the web its apparent the GUI is significantly different between the Gen2 and the Gen3.  I like the GUI of the Gen2 better to be honest (except for that text aliasing issue you pointed out).  I suspect that the spinning arrows and info boxes I find so annoying are a Gen3 thing.  In fact, I might find the stock WD firmware on the Gen2 doesn't have them.  In that case, I wouldn't even need to upgrade to the third-party WDLXTV firmware.  But it's good to know your combination of hardware and firmware seems to do what I want.

Here's a YouTube video of a comparison between the WD TV Live (Gen1) and the WD TV Live (Gen3):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/y5Ll8WZJYmo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/y5Ll8WZJYmo</a>

One can see an example of the Gen3's spinning arrow at 6:16 into the video.  Then an info box in the upper left corner at 6:28.  The Gen1 GUI can be seen around 9:22.  It looks a lot like the GUI on your Gen2.

I'll update the thread as I make progress.

-Sparge-
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 12:58:43 am »

I made some progress...

I was able to source a WD TV Live Plus (Gen2) on eBay.  In fact, the deal was for two of them (one used, one new) along with an original WD TV (Gen1) and a Netgear EVA2000.  I was able to snag all four of those media players for less than what I spent on my original WD TV Live (Gen3)!

With any luck they'll be here next week and I can start experimenting with the Gen2 units.  Grin

-Sparge-

* media_players.jpg (199.24 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 279 times.)
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 11:37:53 pm »

The media players arrived.  I've only set up and tried one of the two WD TV Live Plus (Gen2) units.  So far I'm very pleased!

The Gen2 doesn't produce either of the playback behaviors that I found annoying on the Gen3 (the spinning arrow between clips and the info text box at the start of each clip).  Now I can just drag all the clips I want to play (including the main feature if I have it ripped) into a folder, renumber them for sequential playback, hit play and the show starts!  The playback is pretty seamless with no arrows or text boxes to take one out of the moment.  The player does go to a black screen briefly between clips.  Sometimes the black screen lingers a bit too long for my tastes but it's not bad.  It's certainly a lot better than the spinning arrow!

The Gen2 unit I'm working with is running official Western Digital firmware.  I didn't have to flash to the WDLXTV third-party firmware to get the playback characteristics I wanted.  It came running V1.06.16_B which is the next to last version for this model.  I downloaded a copy of the last firmware release (V1.06.42_B) but I'm probably not going to upgrade the device.  If it ain't broke... don't fix it!

I do like the Gen2's user interface better than the Gen3.  The Gen2 is also more responsive to the remote.  The Gen3's user interface can be sluggish.

I'll update the thread once I've had a chance to run a movie night from the media player to let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone (especially Frosty) for the help!

-Sparge-
ActionJax

Up All Night...Sleep All Day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:46 am »

The media players arrived.  I've only set up and tried one of the two WD TV Live Plus (Gen2) units.  So far I'm very pleased!

The Gen2 doesn't produce either of the playback behaviors that I found annoying on the Gen3 (the spinning arrow between clips and the info text box at the start of each clip).  Now I can just drag all the clips I want to play (including the main feature if I have it ripped) into a folder, renumber them for sequential playback, hit play and the show starts!  The playback is pretty seamless with no arrows or text boxes to take one out of the moment.  The player does go to a black screen briefly between clips.  Sometimes the black screen lingers a bit too long for my tastes but it's not bad.  It's certainly a lot better than the spinning arrow!

The Gen2 unit I'm working with is running official Western Digital firmware.  I didn't have to flash to the WDLXTV third-party firmware to get the playback characteristics I wanted.  It came running V1.06.16_B which is the next to last version for this model.  I downloaded a copy of the last firmware release (V1.06.42_B) but I'm probably not going to upgrade the device.  If it ain't broke... don't fix it!

I do like the Gen2's user interface better than the Gen3.  The Gen2 is also more responsive to the remote.  The Gen3's user interface can be sluggish.

I'll update the thread once I've had a chance to run a movie night from the media player to let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone (especially Frosty) for the help!

-Sparge-

Sparge,

Have you had a chance to run a movie night yet with the Gen2?  I'm curious how it worked out.  I've got the newest version (2014) don't know what Gen that is. LOL but its the one that will function wirelessly.  Which I like because I can stream my video's to the back yard and that's just less cable to run.

So far I've been happy with the quality of the video streaming.  No lag.  But I do get the spinning arrow and dialog on the screen that I don't like either.  Its fine for watching my ripped shows and such.  But if I want to run a "Real" movie night with my friends and family...as you've said, it kinda takes you out of the moment.  Even though I've created playlists and the "coming attractions, cartoons, box office count down, main movies, intermission" files all play one after another, there is always that spinning arrow between the files. I would just like to keep it moving along once I push play.

So if anyone comes up with a fix for the newer Gen's please let me know.  I want to keep the wireless feature.  So for the time being I'm stuck with the arrow of doom. Smiley

~Cheers!

Please stop by my webpage to see what's happening at The Night Owl Backyard Cinema.
https://sites.google.com/site/thenightowlbyt/
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 02:32:21 am »

Have you had a chance to run a movie night yet with the Gen2?  I'm curious how it worked out.

I ran our Memorial Day Weekend show through the Gen2 WDTV Live.  It worked great from the perspective that I was able to put all the clips and feature films into one folder, press play and the media player showed them all in order with no spinning arrows or info boxes between clips.  That was a vast improvement from the Gen3's behavior.

Unfortunately, a new problem showed up.  I had no audio on some clips - specifically some shorts I pulled off YouTube and ALL of the movie trailers I pulled off Apple.com.  This had to do with using the media player's digital audio outputs (optical and HDMI) to decode 5.1 audio.  The two-channel stereo outputs from the media player were fine.  I'm not certain yet if the problem is with the media player or my Denon Dolby preamp.  I have since upgraded the firmware on the media player to the latest version available for the Gen2 devices.  I need to give that a try on the Denon now.  I'm also going to see if the Gen3 has any better luck with the audio.

I've got the newest version (2014) don't know what Gen that is. LOL but its the one that will function wirelessly.  Which I like because I can stream my video's to the back yard and that's just less cable to run.

The unit with built-in wireless is the Gen3 (aka "WDTV Live Streaming").  I have a wireless dongle for my Gen2.  It plugs into the second USB port on the Gen2 and adds wireless functionality.  While I might use wireless to stream something I would watch by myself, I'd never use wireless for a show with invited guests.  It's too unreliable.  All it takes is for one neighbor's wireless router to rotate the channel it's using and your stream quality goes in the toilet.

So if anyone comes up with a fix for the newer Gen's please let me know.  I want to keep the wireless feature.  So for the time being I'm stuck with the arrow of doom. Smiley

Yeah, I think I exhausted all of the configuration combinations including playlists and such on the Gen3.  The only time the Gen3 plays multiple clips without the arrow in between is when your playing a complete DVD image.  Of course, getting away from burning my preshows to DVD format was one of the main reasons I went with a media player.  I suspect the only way the arrow is going to go away on the Gen3 is if WD puts out a new firmware release that removes it.  Until then I'll stick with the Gen2.

-Sparge-
ActionJax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 07:50:05 am »

Thanks Sparge!  I knew I could count on you to give me full and complete update. Smiley

It's really too bad about the WDTV player.  I really like all the features the new wireless has.  It plays flawlessly for me.  We've had about 7 movie nights so far.  I've played a variety of movie formats with it. All of them play great I might add.  My Blu-Ray rips looks FREAKIN FANTASTIC on the BIG Screen!

I never thought about using a wireless dongle on the Gen2.  That's something I might have to give a try.  You see its just not convenient to run CAT5 outside.  I'd have to do some major hole drilling in my walls and I just don't want to do that quite yet. Smiley  But I really want that continued play without the "arrow of perpetual waiting!" LOL

I'll give the Gen2 a try.  I'm sure I can find one.

Thanks,

~Cheers!

Please stop by my webpage to see what's happening at The Night Owl Backyard Cinema.
Happykmpr

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 10:56:44 am »

Will the WD TV live show ISO's?? Could the entire show be created and written as an .ISO, then transferred to a flashdrive to use with the WDTV Live? Or are these the steps you're trying avoid, Sparge?
ActionJax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 11:37:52 am »

Will the WD TV live show ISO's?? Could the entire show be created and written as an .ISO, then transferred to a flashdrive to use with the WDTV Live? Or are these the steps you're trying avoid, Sparge?

You know.  WDTV does support .ISO files.  So I wonder...
I think I'll be testing this out this weekend.  Thanks for the idea.

~Cheers!

Happykmpr

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 11:47:41 am »

You know.  WDTV does support .ISO files.  So I wonder...
I think I'll be testing this out this weekend.  Thanks for the idea.

~Cheers!

Let me know if it works and what you used to create the .ISO.

I just ordered the wdtv live from woot today. So I still have a lot of learning to do.
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 12:17:22 pm »

The WDTV Live will play an ISO of a DVD.  It does not support Blu-ray ISOs.  So, no High-Def if one goes the ISO route.  That's a deal breaker right there.

Then anything not in native VOB format (like a YouTube video or an Apple movie trailer) would need to be converted with something like DVDFlick before authoring the DVD and creating the ISO.  That's another series of steps I'm trying to avoid by using the WDTV's ability to play a wide variety of formats directly.

And yes, I'm trying to avoid having to compile everything into one ISO-like container in advance.  I'm after the convenience of drag and drop into a folder without having to convert, rip, author and/or burn (even to ISO) first.  Last show someone brought a clip with them 10 minutes before show time and I just dropped it on to the USB drive and renamed it such that it played at the correct point in the show.  Smiley

-Sparge-
Happykmpr

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 12:26:48 pm »

The WDTV Live will play an ISO of a DVD.  It does not support Blu-ray ISOs.  So, no High-Def if one goes the ISO route.  That's a deal breaker right there.

Then anything not in native VOB format (like a YouTube video or an Apple movie trailer) would need to be converted with something like DVDFlick before authoring the DVD and creating the ISO.  That's another series of steps I'm trying to avoid by using the WDTV's ability to play a wide variety of formats directly.

And yes, I'm trying to avoid having to compile everything into one ISO-like container in advance.  I'm after the convenience of drag and drop into a folder without having to convert, rip, author and/or burn (even to ISO) first.  Last show someone brought a clip with them 10 minutes before show time and I just dropped it on to the USB drive and renamed it such that it played at the correct point in the show.  Smiley

-Sparge-

I understand. The drag and drop is what I'm after. Sounds like I'll be dealing with arrows and titles though. Too bad they don't release a software update to take care of those things. Sad

ActionJax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 11:30:05 pm »

So just for fun, I did spend the evening putting together a playlist for next weekends show.  And you know what Sparge...it was a PITA!  I really do like the way my WDTV Live works.  And you know what I may just have to live with that darn "arrow of doom."  Because I not only had to rip all the videos I want to show, I then had to get all the extra content I want my guest to watch. Then I had to render them all down into an ISO file that took 40 minutes to do.

But that being said...When I played the ISO file, it played beautifully.  Not hesitation.  No "arrow."

Of course like you said, it took my Blu-ray quality movies and made them look like DVD's but hey...at least there was no "arrow."  LOL

And it only took me all night to get it down.  Smiley

I think I'll keep it at "drop and drag" for right now.  I think I can live with the arrow.

~Cheers!

ActionJax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 03:30:01 pm »

I tried a couple of things, neither one worked. Sad

I can create an ISO file that plays but the contents of the file are crap.

I tried using ImBurn to create and ISO file.  And this worked, but I still get the arrow in between files.

Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 06:32:46 pm »

If you create a DVD file structure on the local USB drive the WDTV Live will play the entire DVD without arrows or dialog boxes.  Basically, just copy over the DVD's VIDEO_TS folder to the local USB drive.  That's been the only way I've found to get rid of the "arrows" on the 3rd Gen units.  The 2nd Gen units will play all the clips from a drag-and-drop folder natively without arrows.

I still have to work through that digital audio issue where some clips don't have audio through the optical/HDMI connections to my Denon preamp.  I hoping to work on that a bit this Tuesday.  I've got a show coming up on Friday and I'd like to use the WDTV Live.

-Sparge-
ActionJax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 07:42:44 pm »

If you create a DVD file structure on the local USB drive the WDTV Live will play the entire DVD without arrows or dialog boxes.  Basically, just copy over the DVD's VIDEO_TS folder to the local USB drive.  That's been the only way I've found to get rid of the "arrows" on the 3rd Gen units.  The 2nd Gen units will play all the clips from a drag-and-drop folder natively without arrows.

I still have to work through that digital audio issue where some clips don't have audio through the optical/HDMI connections to my Denon preamp.  I hoping to work on that a bit this Tuesday.  I've got a show coming up on Friday and I'd like to use the WDTV Live.

-Sparge-

I've basically just given up on it for now.  What I'm doing is trying to keep the swirls to a minimum.  My show will run something like this:

01 - The Night Owl Opening - Preview Intro and Trailer Reels [15 min]
[Arrow change]
02 - Looney Tunes Cartoons [30 min]
[Arrow change]
03 - It's Showtime! Sparkle Intro - Welcome to our BYT intro [50 sec]
[Arrow change]
04 - 1st Feature Film [Whatever the run time may be]
[Arrow change]
05 - Intermission time ads [10 min]
[Arrow change]
06 - 2nd Feature Film [Whatever the run time may be]
[Arrow change]
07 - Drive-In Good Night [30 sec]
End of show

I've tried to join all the files that I can so that most of them play as 1 single file.  That way I only have 6 arrows during the show where otherwise I could potentially have many, many more.  If this works out well I may try video joining some more.  Heck maybe even my whole show.  It does seem to work better then rendering everything to a DVD or iso.

Still going to try the 2nd Gen with a wireless fob and see how that goes too.  But first I need to find one.

Till then I'll keep what I have going.

~Cheers!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: