Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 07:53:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
93 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 07:53:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio optons for Optoma MovieTime DV10 DVD Projector  (Read 6393 times)
mrtoad

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:35:57 pm »

Hello,

I was given a used Optoma projector and believe it is the MovieTime DV10 DVD Projector.  The speakers on it are not enough to really watch a movie outside and hear it well so need to purchase a reasonable receiver/amp for it.  I have some old advent outdoor speakers I can use with it.  I do not want to spend a lot of money on this so hoping something decent can be had for a decent price.  I do not even know where to begin.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
CaptainClueless

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 03:07:11 pm »

Hello there. If you have an old stereo receiver, or even one of those "mini systems" those can work for starters. Some people here use powered computer speakers with pretty good success. If you don't, I'd recommend hitting the garage sales, or thrift stores. Sometimes there are good deals to be found.
Garp

A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 04:04:12 pm »

Hi, I have the Optoma DV11 and for many years I just had these powered speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FU5QMK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They worked great for outdoors, nice sound, certainly loud enough for my needs and are still going strong (they're now my TV speakers). I made some speaker stands out of PVC pipe and tiki torch stakes and was good to go for an outdoor movie in a few minutes.
jwh92020

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 05:06:03 pm »

I started with a Cinego (Radio Shack's version of the DV10). I got a Lepai amp from Amazon for $20 (here is a link, it's cheaper now)

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400796153&sr=8-1&keywords=lepai+amp

I used a couple of old speakers from a defunct stereo. It is more than loud enough to upset the neighbors. Volume is controlled through the DV10.

Cheap and easy...

Life is too short to not have fun!
mrtoad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:18:40 am »

Thanks all for the replies.  I do not currently have an old receiver.  my last receiver died years and years ago and we have just been using ipods with docks to play music.  i for now have hooked it up to an Altec Lansing iMT810 boombox for sound and seems ok but not sure how loud it will be outside so will need to test this week when the weather gets better and my screen arrives.  To test it I just shot it on a wall and used the boombox for now.  My daughter has a birthday party coming up and I was able to sell my wife on the idea that for the cost of a party out somewhere I could get a screen and a receiver and then we have it all going forward to enjoy.   

Do you think I would be better off going with a receiver so I could also play music off of it?  I have 4 advent speakers I could use. 

Also a question that is unrelated but for setting it up outside it seems the projector sits lower than the screen, is that the way it should be?  If so how do most people set it up so that people do not block the projector?

Thanks again!
Mike
mrtoad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 11:35:28 am »

Hi.

I was thinking of getting this and hooking up my old stereo speakers.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWURW6U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RXX6MVTNRP1A&coliid=I1FKBDMZHPKVHJ&psc=1

I could use it for both the projector for movies as well as hook up an ipod for music when not using for movies.  Would this be a good choice?  I know nothing about this type of equipment.

Thanks,
Mike
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:11:45 pm »

Do you think I would be better off going with a receiver so I could also play music off of it?  I have 4 advent speakers I could use. 

Probably.

Also a question that is unrelated but for setting it up outside it seems the projector sits lower than the screen, is that the way it should be?  If so how do most people set it up so that people do not block the projector?

Yes, it's normal for the projector to be near the bottom of the screen.  Some actually sit below the bottom of the screen, some a bit above.  There usually is some off shift.  People need to sit to either side of the projector or behind it.

The bottom of my screen is about 5 feet off the ground.  My PJ is on a tripod about 6 feet off the ground (zero keystone).  I still can't have average height folks walking around in front of the PJ.

Some folks have flipped their PJs over in a ceiling mount configuration and used ladders or basketball poles to get their PJs up in the air.  Also, there's rear projection but that requires a special screen material.  Other than that, you just need to keep people from walking in front of the projector.

-Sparge-
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 06:25:19 pm »

I was thinking of getting this and hooking up my old stereo speakers.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWURW6U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RXX6MVTNRP1A&coliid=I1FKBDMZHPKVHJ&psc=1

I could use it for both the projector for movies as well as hook up an ipod for music when not using for movies.  Would this be a good choice?  I know nothing about this type of equipment.

That looks decent and will give you an upgrade path.

You could just connect the mini audio out jack from the DV10 to the receiver and run stereo.

If it were me, I'd buy an optical audio cable to go between the DV10 and receiver.  Then use the receiver to decode the Dolby/DTS soundtrack.  Use only three of your Advent speakers for the left/center/right channels.  Tell the receiver you do not have surrounds or a sub.  You could always add a subwoofer later as an upgrade.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/

-Sparge-
mrtoad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 11:33:06 am »

Thanks for the replies.  On the projector placement, I will need to get in the yard and figure it out I guess.  I so far have only tried in the house to test the unit.  I ordered a screen and it arrived 2 days ago so as long as the weather holds I can test it this weekend.

For the receiver info, thank you.  I have some amazon gift cards I will use to pay for a chunk of it and will order today.  I will also get the optical cable as well.

Thanks again for the help.  Looking forward to trying this out. 

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: