Backyard Theater Forum
December 15, 2017, 03:22:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
95 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 03:22:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From 2.1 to 3.1 sound  (Read 4152 times)
Player

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:47:04 pm »

I picked up a Panasonic DMP-BD30 because I wanted Blu Ray (720p), but need the analog audio and was wandering if I could move from 2.1 (Stereo w/sub) to 3.1 sound with this (adding a center channel). Looking through the manual, I donít see any settings for this. It has ďV.SurroundĒ that simulates surround sound with just front speakers and the ďDialog EnhancerĒ says 3 channels or more only, including a center channel. But I donít see any setting to tell it Iím doing 3.1.
If I use the 5.1 outputs, but donít use the rear how much do I lose?
The rear channels donít make sense most of the time in my setup, but it would be nice to boost the dialog at times.
Anybody have on of these (or similar) and want to share some words of wisdom?
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 03:08:26 am »

I have the Panasonic DMP-BD85P-K which also has the analog audio outputs.  It's not obvious but there is an analog audio setup screen (under TV/Device Connection) where one can select from three rear surround options: small, large or none.  You'd want to set this to none.

Also, there is often confusion about subwoofers.  I feel the only time someone should refer to their subwoofer as a ".1" (5.1, 7.1, etc.) is when they are actually using the LFE track decoded from the movie soundtrack.  Many folks with stereo speakers and a subwoofer are often just 2.0 with the low frequencies diverted to the subwoofer.  That's not the same as 2.1.  So, to get 3.1 you'll not only want to add a Center speaker but also insure the subwoofer is connected to the dedicated subwoofer channel.  That may be different from how your subwoofer connects now.

-Sparge-
Player

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:39:12 pm »

Ah. I found it. Smiley Mine is actually large, small or no. I saw the speaker size setting on the 35, but didnít realize it was just the rears. And you are correct that in the past I was actually running 2.0, using the x-over in the sub because there are only stereo outputs on the DVD.
Do you know if the virtual surround works in 3.1 or is it only in stereo?
Iím hoping to see a noticeable improvement in PQ with the player outputting 720p to match the PJ.
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 04:09:36 pm »

Do you know if the virtual surround works in 3.1 or is it only in stereo?

I don't know if my player even has the virtual surround option.  Regardless I suspect you're probably better off running straight 3.1.

Iím hoping to see a noticeable improvement in PQ with the player outputting 720p to match the PJ.

Another thing to strive for is to get the PJ lined up perfectly with the screen such that keystone correction is not needed.  Otherwise, the PJ is still extrapolating the image and fudging with the pixels (this applies to digital keystone correction which is what's widely used).  When keystone correction is off or "0" and your input resolution matches the native display resolution of the PJ then your getting a one-to-one mapping of pixels on to the screen and the best possible image quality for the given projector.

-Sparge-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: