Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 07:48:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
99 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 07:48:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!!! What am I doing wrong with this Audio setup?  (Read 7119 times)
oscantiq

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:08:05 pm »

What am I doing wrong with this Audio setup? I just can never get it right.
I am taking audio from dvd with rca cables converted to 1/4 to mic 1 and 2 of Peavey pv6 mixer, 1/4 cables from main l & R out to Samson S Direct Plus box L & R inputs, Mic cables out to a pair of Peavey pv115d which are also powering a pair of Radio Shack pa Speakers. I still do not have enough volume for our little park! 
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 02:33:44 pm »

Are you able to play audio CDs from the DVD player at an acceptable volume? The reason I ask is often times the DVD audio level is much lower than other sources and needs quite a bit of gain to be reasonable. Your mixer has a gain control as well as level controls so try adding gain to channels 1&2 and see what happens. Also make sure that channel one is panned fully left and channel two is panned fully right on your mixer.

Why the inline direct box? There's no need for it in this signal chain and it adds an unnecessary point for troubleshooting.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
oscantiq

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:58:42 pm »

I set gains at like 5 to 6 on line 1 and 2 and have  channel one panned fully left and channel two  panned fully right on mixer. I will check audio cd level. I added the direct box because I was told it would be better to use the long Mic cables and Using the box provides a balanced signal to the speaker.  It also enables you to lift the ground in case a "ground-loop" hum develops. 
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 11:08:09 pm »

Yeah, you were advised poorly.  The direct box should not be used.  It's completely the wrong device for this application.  The inputs on the direct box are designed for speaker level (powered) signals.  By the way, you already have balanced outputs on your mixer.

Given the equipment you have this is how I would configure it...

The RCA phono outputs from the DVD player are to be converted to 1/4" TS (tip/sleeve) phone plugs.  There will be one each for left and right.  Those would plug directly into your PV6 mixer.  I would not use channels 1 and 2 on the mixer.  Those are designed for balanced inputs.  I would use either of the stereo input channels on the mixer.  That is to say use either stereo channel 3/4 or use stereo channel 5/6 (not both).  Those are designed for unbalanced inputs which is what you have coming from the DVD player.  Leave the PAN/BAL knob for the channel set to C (center).  It actually functions as a balance control rather than pan control in this configuration.

The main outputs on the PV6 are balanced, three-conductor 1/4" TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) jacks.  I would use 1/4" TRS cables from the main outputs on the mixer right into the PV115D speaker inputs.  It is important these be three-conductor cables for low-level, balanced signals.  You could use XLR mic cables if you already have them but you will need adapters to convert the 1/4" TRS on the mixer side.  I'd just buy the right cables in the first place!

The passive Radio Shack speakers can be driven off the "Full Range Speaker Out" (not the "Link Out") of the PV115D powered speakers.  The cables needed for this are two-conductor 1/4" TS (tip/sleeve) speaker cables (not mic cables).  This is very important.  These cables must be heavy gauge (preferably 14 gauge or better) cables designed to carry speaker level (powered) signals.  You can't use mic cables here.

That's it!  That should be plenty loud as configured above.

-Sparge-

P.S. - A note about level settings...

If the schematic block diagram for that mixer is accurate you will find the black Gain control on the stereo channel has no effect on the output in the above configuration.  That's expected because the Gain control is tied to the mic input not the line level inputs.  You can ignore the Gain control.

On the speakers start with the Level controls at "0" (all the way off).
On the mixer start with the Level control for the channel at "0" (centered) and the Master Level all the way down (infinity). 
Start your DVD player.  You will not hear sound at this point for two reasons: the speakers are both still all the way down and the main level control is also all the way down. 
Now increase the Main Level on the mixer slowly to "0".  You should still not hear any sound at this point because the speakers are still turned all the way down.
You are now at "unity gain" where the output signal strength of the mixer should equal the input signal strength.
Now slowly turn the Level controls on the speakers up to the loudest you'd ever expect to need.  Be careful.  It could get quite loud.
Then lower the Master Level control on the mixer to bring the sound levels back down to something sane.
You should now have a properly tuned signal chain that reduces the chance of clipping (distortion) and minimizes excess signal noise (hiss).

Let me know how it goes!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:33:47 am by Sparge » Logged
oscantiq

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 09:27:37 am »

Sparge, Thank you so much for such a detailed reply!
 I can hardly wait to try this setup out!
If i was to add in a laptop for premovie and a fm transmitter what would be best configuration?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 04:53:13 pm »

Sparge, Thank you so much for such a detailed reply!
 I can hardly wait to try this setup out!
If i was to add in a laptop for premovie and a fm transmitter what would be best configuration?

Use stereo channel 3/4 for the DVD player (as described above) and stereo channel 5/6 for the laptop.  Use the "Tape Out" from the PV6 mixer to send the signal to the FM transmitter.

-Sparge-
SVinzant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 07:42:24 pm »

Sparge,
This is a great write-up!
It goes step by step through the process to get everything connected and leveled properly.
The core concepts could be used by others as well to set up similar equipment.
Scott
oscantiq

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:48:56 pm »

Sparge, Your advice was spot on! we showed Frozen to a huge crowd of over 300 people and audio was great! I cant thank you enough for your help!
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 11:14:48 pm »

Sparge, Your advice was spot on! we showed Frozen to a huge crowd of over 300 people and audio was great! I cant thank you enough for your help!

300 people!  Wow, nice!

Yoo hoo!  Big Summer Blowout!

-Sparge-
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:02:52 am »

300 people wow I would need to pay people to come in to watch...... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: