Backyard Theater Forum
December 11, 2017, 02:52:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
90 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:52:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to broadcast your sound ver. 2.0  (Read 21758 times)
Kbarb

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 11:55:22 pm »

I'm just returning to your post again to refresh my memory of your advice.

Btw, my comment there was just about how I can come across a long "article" and you're not quite sure what it's going to be about.
Often I'm opening up several links to scan them and see if any of them might address something I'm researching, so it helps to know early on what it's going to be about - that was all.

Anyway, I had this idea to use a bluetooth transmitter, and people could listen using their cell phones, as where I am here in San Francisco, almost everyone has a bluetooth enabled phone.
But then I read that there is always a tiny delay with bluetooth transmissions because of the time necessary for compression of the signal. It might be even worse if you take into account how long it would take for the iPhone, whatever to decompress.
People say it's not an annoying delay if it's pretty short.
It's a bit unfamiliar territory so I'm not sure. And that's why I returned to your article to have another look at FM transmission.

What kind of radios to people bring along ? I have a pocket Sony FM radio that was something like $8 on Amazon, and it's actually quite good.
I don't know anyone else that actually owns a small FM radio though. I guess I could buy a bunch of cheap ones and the couples could share one with a headphone splitter jack.
Just thinking about all this.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:41:53 am by Kbarb » Logged
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 01:09:07 am »

I'm just returning to your post again to refresh my memory of your advice.

Btw, my comment there was just about how I can come across a long "article" and you're not quite sure what it's going to be about.
Often I'm opening up several links to scan them and see if any of them might address something I'm researching, so it helps to know early on what it's going to be about - that was all.

Anyway, I had this idea to use a bluetooth transmitter, and people could listen using their cell phones, as where I am here in San Francisco, almost everyone has a bluetooth enabled phone.
But then I read that there is always a tiny delay with bluetooth transmissions because of the time necessary for compression of the signal. It might be even worse if you take into account how long it would take for the iPhone, whatever to decompress.
People say it's not an annoying delay if it's pretty short.
It's a bit unfamiliar territory so I'm not sure. And that's why I returned to your article to have another look.

What kind of radios to people bring along ? I have a pocket Sony FM radio that was something like $8 on Amazon, and it's actually quite good.
I don't know anyone else that actually owns a small FM radio though. I guess I could buy a bunch of cheap ones and the couples could share one with a headphone splitter jack.
Just thinking about all this.
Ok, so a little background for you.  I've had my BYT since 2005, since 2006 I have broadcasted my audio, first over AM, because I had an AM transmitter already.  I didn't like the way speakers worked in my yard so it was a natural step.  Eventually I made the investment in an FM transmitter.  So I don't really know what my AM transmitter did in it's previous live but it came with 4 radios that we fixed to AM 650, actually they were built to only receive that channel.  So folks bring their own radio and if they forget I have 2 that still work I can loan out (1 was stolen 1 quit working).  Today I actually transmit using both the AM & FM transmitters just because I want to continue to use the AM loaners that I have, that and I'm a sap for old technology.   

Back to your question about radios.  I've seen all kinds.  Some cell phones today apparently have FM receivers so a few folks do that.  Some bring a small portable, some walkmans.  After all these years all the regulars are use to it so it's not an issue except for the occasional newbee who doesn't know or someone that has there batteries run out.  But that's where the loaners come in.  I highly doubt that you would need to supply a radio for everyone, but it would definitely be a good idea to have at least a couple loaners available.  When I first started broadcasting my sound it was common for all 4 radios to get loaned out, now it's maybe once or twice a month that one will get loaned out.  Like anything folks get use to it.

Two reasons I went to broadcasting my sound back in 2006, one was I didn't like having speaker wires all over my yard, and my yard was so big I had to crank the sound so loud that it would get the neighbors all worked up.  Having folks bring their own radio meant a couple of things to me.  No more speakers to setup and take down as well as lower over all sound volume because folks had their radio right next to them rather than speakers across the yard.  I had a pretty strict volume rule at the theater before we moved it, and I had several regulars that walked in each night with a Walkman and head phones.  Listen to it as load as you want on headphones no one will complain.  I have never had to require everyone to use headphones, though I did consider it in the early years at one point.  I never had to go that route. 

Honestly when I wrote the article I had no idea that someone would be thinking broadcasting Bluetooth, and to be honest with you I didn't realize that you could even do that.  With that in mind if and when I write a ver 3.0 I will make it clear early on that it is radio broadcast and not some other form.  I took no offence to your comment merely tried to explain reasoning, of course at the time I didn't realize you were looking for Bluetooth info.  It's all good on my end anyway.  Smiley

So for me radio broadcasting has worked out really, really well and I wouldn't want the hassle of speakers and the associated wiring and equipment, but that doesn't mean that it's right for everyone.  Please let me know if you have other questions, I really enjoy the topic and am happy to help. 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 09:26:19 am »

Welcome Kbarb...enjoy the site

.find could I expensive least the is This.

http://www.banggood.com/DC-1_5V-Mini-Portable-AMFM-2-Band-Pocket-Radio-Receiver-Earphone-p-933667.html?currency=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=ebay&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=saul&utm_campaign=hu-US&ebay

To get to the other side. ..............Why did the chicken cross the road?

Hey if I write backwards or give the answer to a joke first I can get the key point across so that the reader will not have to read the entire sentence or joke. They can get the point from the start Grin Grin Wink

All kidding aside I was looking for what Ron uses for his business here in Ct. but could not find them. If I do I will post them.
Kbarb

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 10:40:24 am »

Wow, that radio on banggood.com is really cheap.  Thanks for that tip.
At that price I could almost buy a dozen of them.
The Sony ICF-S10MK2 used to be about $8 or $9 on Amazon - so cheap a lot of the homeless out here used to have them at the side. But I guess they caught on to the popularity, and now the price has more than doubled.

ps: I'm not totally sure what the humor was pointing too exactly. I was just offering a little suggestion to help future readers - it wasn't meant to be judgemental or critical -  sounds like SR didn't take great offence.
When you're trying to cover a lot of territory on the net in a hurry and come upon a big (and great) post, sometimes a little explanation ahead of time helps, that's all. No big deal.
It's a great article and full of useful and helpful information gained from a lot of experience.

The bluetooth idea I had, I thought was a epiphany, but I'm not quite up to buying the equipment yet for the experiment, to see if the delay is a problem or not. Maybe some time.
;-)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:06:42 pm by Kbarb » Logged
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 11:16:05 am »

Wow, that radio on banggood.com is really cheap thanks for that tip.
At that price I could almost buy a dozen of them.
The Sony ICF-S10MK2 used to be about $8 or $9 on Amazon - so cheap a lot of the homeless out here used to have them at the side. But I guess they caught on to the popularity, and now the price has more than doubled.

ps: I'm not totally sure what the humor was pointing too exactly. I was just offering a little suggestion for future readers - it wasn't meant to be judgemental or critical and it sounds like SR didn't take great offence.
When you're trying to cover a lot of territory on the net in a hurry sometimes a little explanation ahead of time helps, that's all.
It's a great article and full of useful and helpful information gained from a lot of experience.

The bluetooth idea I had, I thought was a epiphany, but I'm not quite up to buying the equipment yet for the experiment, to see if the delay is a problem or not. Maybe some time.
;-)

From time to time  I have been know for a joke here & there.........I hope I can find what Ron uses I bought two sets at a discount store & never used them.......... but he was happy with the quality for the price.....I think I got two for $2.99 on sale LOL.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 01:10:35 pm »

ps: I'm not totally sure what the humor was pointing too exactly. I was just offering a little suggestion for future readers - it wasn't meant to be judgemental or critical and it sounds like SR didn't take great offence.
When you're trying to cover a lot of territory on the net in a hurry sometimes a little explanation ahead of time helps, that's all.
Kbarb, no one was offended your fine.  Advice is what this forum is about and it is always welcomed both ways at least with me.  G76, and myself as well at times can get to joking around a bit, it's just the way we are.  Stop worrying you and your input is welcome and appreciated here. 

On another note does anyone know when I became a hero member?  Last I looked I was senior member, I'm guessing it must be at the 500 post mark?

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »

Kbarb, no one was offended your fine.  Advice is what this forum is about and it is always welcomed both ways at least with me.  G76, and myself as well at times can get to joking around a bit, it's just the way we are.  Stop worrying you and your input is welcome and appreciated here. 

On another note does anyone know when I became a hero member?  Last I looked I was senior member, I'm guessing it must be at the 500 post mark?

I think it was after you entered the witness projection program & changed your name. Grin Grin
Kbarb

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 11:43:48 am »

Ah . . . . I see - the humor abounds. I'm all for it !
How do I get into that witness protection program.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 12:13:11 pm »

I think it was after you entered the witness projection program & changed your name. Grin Grin

LOL  Smiley  Kbarb, What G76 says is actually true I did change my name at one time and ever since then it has been the running joke that I'm in witness projection program.

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 02:52:22 pm »

Ah . . . . I see - the humor abounds. I'm all for it !
How do I get into that witness protection program.

SR Always gives you soundadvice when you come here Roll Eyes
marjiea1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 01:08:49 am »

I don't think Bluetooth is going to work. Bluetooth works like a private communication channel, it only goes one to one (with few exceptions.)  You would need a bluetooth transmitter for every bluetooth receiver or a bluetooth splitter for every two receivers.

You might want to investigate streaming the sound live over the internet if your patrons all have smartphones/tablets and internet access that they could get the stream on (are you willing to provide wi-fi?) Your loaner equipment only needs to be wi-fi enabled devices with sound (old phones with internet ability would work, they wouldn't need cell service.) VLC can stream media, although I'm unsure if you are restricted to using another instance to play the media so the first one can stream it or if you could use an input from a Blu-ray, etc. in case you are not using a computer to drive your projection.

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2015, 02:02:50 am »

Sorry about not getting back here sooner.  I do a holiday light show this time of year so things get super hectic with that stuff. 

I don't know squat about blue tooth beyond using it with my cell phone and the hole 1 to 1 communication thing makes sense to me given that at least with cell phones it's usually used for private communication. 

As for the Witness Projection Program you'd have to start with joining the BYT mob,  Smiley Smiley step one is get yourself into trouble with your wife and friends for not talking to them or seeing them all summer and when you do talk to them talk about nothing other than your BYT.   Smiley  Gen76 can fill you in on the next step, right buddy!  Smiley Smiley

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 01:40:24 pm »

Sorry about not getting back here sooner.  I do a holiday light show this time of year so things get super hectic with that stuff. 

I don't know squat about blue tooth beyond using it with my cell phone and the hole 1 to 1 communication thing makes sense to me given that at least with cell phones it's usually used for private communication. 

As for the Witness Projection Program you'd have to start with joining the BYT mob,  Smiley Smiley step one is get yourself into trouble with your wife and friends for not talking to them or seeing them all summer and when you do talk to them talk about nothing other than your BYT.   Smiley  Gen76 can fill you in on the next step, right buddy!  Smiley Smiley

I don't know about blue tooth but I had a bad tooth last week & people could hear me from a 1/4 mile away.

Lets just say Sparge is the Godfather Grin 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: