Backyard Theater Forum
December 17, 2017, 10:47:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
99 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 10:47:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wired speakers to wireless.  (Read 12931 times)
rchavez101

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:09:10 pm »

Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I posted to this wonderful site. I would like to convert my wired speakers to wireless. My receiver is an older Yamaha that is not wireless\bluetooth capable. Is there a way of accomplishing this. Currently I am using front and rear speakers.
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:36:40 am »

In my opinion, converting your wired speakers to wireless isn't really practical.

For speakers to be "wireless" they must contain some form of amplifier.  Each speaker will need an amplifier.  Each amplifier will need electrical power.  Battery power isn't practical for any decent power output (volume) or longevity (long duration between recharges).  So, each "wireless" speaker will now need a different wire in the form of an AC power cord.  For most outdoor set ups, if you're going to have a cord you might as well just stay with the speaker wire and use the amplifier power from your receiver.  Oh, that's another point.  Your receiver will need a line-level output for any channels you wish to make "wireless".  And you're going to need a transmitter for each channel you want to make wireless along with a receiver for each speakers (that's on top of the amplifier needed by each speaker).  Those transmitters and receivers are also going to require electrical power.  You can kind of see where this is going.

Why don't you tell us a little bit more about your set up... Speaker placement?  Typical crowd size?  Volume levels?  How close to the speakers does the audience sit?  How are you doing "front and rear"?  Is it surround or just two sets of stereo A/B speakers?  How many speakers do you want to make wireless - one pair or both pairs?  What do you hope to gain by going wireless?  That information will help determine if wireless speakers are feasible/practical for your application.  If wireless will work for your application then you're likely better off buying new rather than trying to convert.

-Sparge-
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:38:47 am by Sparge » Logged
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 10:51:30 am »

You beat me to it.  gooooo sparge

rg
see you at the movies
rchavez101

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:35 pm »

In my opinion, converting your wired speakers to wireless isn't really practical.

For speakers to be "wireless" they must contain some form of amplifier.  Each speaker will need an amplifier.  Each amplifier will need electrical power.  Battery power isn't practical for any decent power output (volume) or longevity (long duration between recharges).  So, each "wireless" speaker will now need a different wire in the form of an AC power cord.  For most outdoor set ups, if you're going to have a cord you might as well just stay with the speaker wire and use the amplifier power from your receiver.  Oh, that's another point.  Your receiver will need a line-level output for any channels you wish to make "wireless".  And you're going to need a transmitter for each channel you want to make wireless along with a receiver for each speakers (that's on top of the amplifier needed by each speaker).  Those transmitters and receivers are also going to require electrical power.  You can kind of see where this is going.

Why don't you tell us a little bit more about your set up... Speaker placement?  Typical crowd size?  Volume levels?  How close to the speakers does the audience sit?  How are you doing "front and rear"?  Is it surround or just two sets of stereo A/B speakers?  How many speakers do you want to make wireless - one pair or both pairs?  What do you hope to gain by going wireless?  That information will help determine if wireless speakers are feasible/practical for your application.  If wireless will work for your application then you're likely better off buying new rather than trying to convert.

-Sparge-

Thanks for the reply Sparge. I believe you answered my question in a whole different way. I forgot I would still have to amplify them which would require power. The cords i figured would be losing are now being added by power cords. It would be another expense for accomplishing something that really doesnt benefit my setup. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: