Backyard Theater Forum
December 18, 2017, 01:14:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
112 Guests, 1 User
MikeMiesen
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:14:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Car may need to be put down at 260,000 miles  (Read 16825 times)
genesis76

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:40:35 pm »

Cry My 2004 Durango needs new axles & my wonderful mechanic said you may not want to throw money at it. We have been through so much together tailgating at Jet & Cardinal games taking my BYT on the road etc. Plus working together for over ten years. It is sad because the engine & transmission are still good.....It does have some "Durango door rust" on both doors & it's time may have come.

My problem is I am almost Six foot six & I don't fit in most cars. Lips Sealed........Anyway, I may try one more time to keep her going because I can't find anything that my head fits in Grin
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:12 pm »

Sorry to hear about your SUV. My last one was a Ford Explorer and the tranny finally went at 356k of which 240k were my miles. It's like a family member at that point! I just bought a 4Runner last year to help haul my movie gear around and at 6'1" my head is nearly banging the ceiling so I can't recommend it for tall people.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:13:59 pm »

Sorry to hear about your SUV. My last one was a Ford Explorer and the tranny finally went at 356k of which 240k were my miles. It's like a family member at that point! I just bought a 4Runner last year to help haul my movie gear around and at 6'1" my head is nearly banging the ceiling so I can't recommend it for tall people.

11 You are making me think I got 96,000 miles left on my Tran & engine Wink
redcar54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:57:27 pm »

Cry My 2004 Durango needs new axles & my wonderful mechanic said you may not want to throw money at it. We have been through so much together tailgating at Jet & Cardinal games taking my BYT on the road etc. Plus working together for over ten years. It is sad because the engine & transmission are still good.....It does have some "Durango door rust" on both doors & it's time may have come.

My problem is I am almost Six foot six & I don't fit in most cars. Lips Sealed........Anyway, I may try one more time to keep her going because I can't find anything that my head fits in Grin

Do you have season Jet tickets or do you only go when the Cardinals play them? If a Jet fan good luck next year.  I'm a Giant season ticket holder.  I have thought about bringing my setup to a night game, have you ever done this?  Most miles on any of mine was 165k at least I don't have to worry about head room only 5' 8" however my friend has to at 6'7" and he has an Explorer.

Jim
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:25:39 pm »

Do you have season Jet tickets or do you only go when the Cardinals play them? If a Jet fan good luck next year.  I'm a Giant season ticket holder.  I have thought about bringing my setup to a night game, have you ever done this?  Most miles on any of mine was 165k at least I don't have to worry about head room only 5' 8" however my friend has to at 6'7" and he has an Explorer.

Jim

I do have season tickets to the jets but I have a friend that is using them now & will give them back when I want them back. I went to only two games this year & will be going to the Jets & Giants next year plus one other game. I wish I could do London Grin but my wife would kill me lol. I decided to join a yacht club last year so I had to keep peace in the family if you know what I mean...... I have a 2.5 hour drive as I live in CT  So it becomes a 12 hour day.

I have thought about bringing my stuff to a night game but I get home at around 2:30  as is so adding another two hours just does not cut it. I do have a 22 inch TV installed in my Durango with a built in DVD.  Not the same but it works.

The Cardinals I was talking about are my baseball Cardinals but yes I go to Cardinal/Jets & Cardinal/Mets. games

Baseball: Cardinals      Football Jets & Cards equal      Hockey Bruins & Blues (The killer B's) Equal  Basketball Celtics**

I don't love basketball like the other sports but I love how the Celtics play.

Maybe we can meet up for a beer or two for the Jets/Giants game

Anyway go for it as far as BYT for a game.

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 05:10:57 pm »

Genesis, I happen to be a mechanic myself.  Obviously I'm not there so I don't know how well you have taken care of the vehicle.  Assuming that you have kept it up on the maintenance I would recommend you do the axles and spend the money on it.  Compare the amount of money you will be spending on the axles and any other repairs you are expecting to a new or nearly new car payment.  All of a sudden keeping the old Durango make sense doesn't it.

When I have customers in your position I ask them these questions.
#1.  Does the vehicle suite your needs?
#2.  Do you like it?

If you answered yes to both questions, spend the money on the axles, it'll be worth it in the long run and cheaper than a new rig. 

It just so happens that my daily driver is a Dodge Dakota of about the same year yours is.  Guess what, it has 350,000 miles on it.  No I'm not joking, original engine and transmission.  It's verified and registered with the mopar high mileage club.  I have the 3.9 v-6 and auto tranny, the 4.7 and 5.2 engines are great as well. 

If you have taken care of her, and the rust isn't to bad I'd keep it.  Now seriously I know those axle replacements are spendy because of the labor involved, but compare it to the cost of a car payment.  And I think you'll want to keep the Durango even more.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 05:43:08 pm »

SR I think I needed a dope slap LOL.......Yes & Yes to your questions & I have had it taken care of from day one. 70 pct. highway miles.

My heat shields have been going for about 70,000 miles & I worry about my brake lines with all the salt we get. (I do have my guy check them often.) The doors have rust & I wish I could just stop it at this point. Also, things like catalytic converters, muffler/manifolds etc are all a concern. & I guess if I put the money into it & it goes another year I will be good.

I will find out more next week but if I need a new exhaust too would your opinion change?

Thanks for your help!
redcar54

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 06:00:23 pm »

Jim

I do have season tickets to the jets but I have a friend that is using them now & will give them back when I want them back. I went to only two games this year & will be going to the Jets & Giants next year plus one other game. I wish I could do London Grin but my wife would kill me lol. I decided to join a yacht club last year so I had to keep peace in the family if you know what I mean...... I have a 2.5 hour drive as I live in CT  So it becomes a 12 hour day.

I have thought about bringing my stuff to a night game but I get home at around 2:30  as is so adding another two hours just does not cut it. I do have a 22 inch TV installed in my Durango with a built in DVD.  Not the same but it works.

The Cardinals I was talking about are my baseball Cardinals but yes I go to Cardinal/Jets & Cardinal/Mets. games

Baseball: Cardinals      Football Jets & Cards equal      Hockey Bruins & Blues (The killer B's) Equal  Basketball Celtics**

That is a go for Giant/Jet game!  Giant home game we will see when it is scheduled, I might have an extra ticket.  As far as the rest, Yankees and Rangers, don't watch basketball maybe because of my height.

Jim
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 06:05:47 pm »

Jim

That is a go for Giant/Jet game!  Giant home game we will see when it is scheduled, I might have an extra ticket.  As far as the rest, Yankees and Rangers, don't watch basketball maybe because of my height.

Jim

Jim you must be happy with the Rangers...I pick them as the team to beat this year......Yanks look like they are in for a tough few years but the money is there to get them out of trouble
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 06:49:29 pm »

SR I think I needed a dope slap LOL.......Yes & Yes to your questions & I have had it taken care of from day one. 70 pct. highway miles.

My heat shields have been going for about 70,000 miles & I worry about my brake lines with all the salt we get. (I do have my guy check them often.) The doors have rust & I wish I could just stop it at this point. Also, things like catalytic converters, muffler/manifolds etc are all a concern. & I guess if I put the money into it & it goes another year I will be good.

I will find out more next week but if I need a new exhaust too would your opinion change?

Thanks for your help!

So I just did a quick estimate here.  I know prices can vary a lot in different parts of the country so my numbers maybe different than yours, and that doesn't mean anything is wrong we are just going to use mine so you can see my train of thought.

For the axles, I was surprised to find that they are cheaper than I expected I came up with $421.00 for both fronts.

For the exhaust I came up with $623.00 for everything EXCEPT the catalytic converter.  Now I know you may have additional labor charges on the exhaust because of the rust in your part of the country so I'll assume another $100 in labor and we'll say $723.00 total.

This is where it gets tricky with the catalytic converter.  I see prices all over the map from about $500.00 on up to $1,200, it just seems to depend on what is available and whether  your mechanic is planning to replace the cats with OE type or an aftermarket weld together system.  For the sake of this discussion we'll go with the high end $1,200.

This brings us to a total of $2344.00 seems like a lot but really it's not.  Think of it vs. car payment that $2344.00 over 12 months would be $195.00 a month.  Again seems cheap compared to a car payment, so yes I think I would still keep the Durango.

However, a couple of things I didn't think of earlier.  I don't know how bad the rust is on your rig, and I don't know if you have a state inspection to pass.  If the rust is so bad that your in danger of not being able to pass the state inspection to get your tabs then maybe you should consider cutting your losses.  If you don't have a state inspection and /or your not having any trouble passing it then I would still keep it.  You could ask your mechanic to quote you for replacing the all of the brake lines to.  The rubber brake lines should be available though a local supplier to your mechanic and even the metal brake lines that run along the frame are available typically though mopar supplier although the metal lines can get pretty labor intensive. 

It's up to you to make the judgment call, and after you get your next bit of news about the truck I'd be glad to give you my 2 cents worth then too.  It's just that I have seen folks that came in to my shop trade in rigs that needed 3 - 4k in work for a new vehicle with a new car payment and ended up not liking the new vehicle as well plus now saddled with a $500 a month payment for 5 years.  But rust if bad enough is something to keep in mind as well.  Obviously you don't want to drop 2K, in and then fail state inspection if you have one.

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 07:51:35 pm »

Thanks for your help!

So I just did a quick estimate here.  I know prices can vary a lot in different parts of the country so my numbers maybe different than yours, and that doesn't mean anything is wrong we are just going to use mine so you can see my train of thought.

For the axles, I was surprised to find that they are cheaper than I expected I came up with $421.00 for both fronts.

For the exhaust I came up with $623.00 for everything EXCEPT the catalytic converter.  Now I know you may have additional labor charges on the exhaust because of the rust in your part of the country so I'll assume another $100 in labor and we'll say $723.00 total.

This is where it gets tricky with the catalytic converter.  I see prices all over the map from about $500.00 on up to $1,200, it just seems to depend on what is available and whether  your mechanic is planning to replace the cats with OE type or an aftermarket weld together system.  For the sake of this discussion we'll go with the high end $1,200.

This brings us to a total of $2344.00 seems like a lot but really it's not.  Think of it vs. car payment that $2344.00 over 12 months would be $195.00 a month.  Again seems cheap compared to a car payment, so yes I think I would still keep the Durango.

However, a couple of things I didn't think of earlier.  I don't know how bad the rust is on your rig, and I don't know if you have a state inspection to pass.  If the rust is so bad that your in danger of not being able to pass the state inspection to get your tabs then maybe you should consider cutting your losses.  If you don't have a state inspection and /or your not having any trouble passing it then I would still keep it.  You could ask your mechanic to quote you for replacing the all of the brake lines to.  The rubber brake lines should be available though a local supplier to your mechanic and even the metal brake lines that run along the frame are available typically though mopar supplier although the metal lines can get pretty labor intensive. 

It's up to you to make the judgment call, and after you get your next bit of news about the truck I'd be glad to give you my 2 cents worth then too.  It's just that I have seen folks that came in to my shop trade in rigs that needed 3 - 4k in work for a new vehicle with a new car payment and ended up not liking the new vehicle as well plus now saddled with a $500 a month payment for 5 years.  But rust if bad enough is something to keep in mind as well.  Obviously you don't want to drop 2K, in and then fail state inspection if you have one.

Thanks SR: We do have a state inspection & I passed it in October (has to do with air quality) So I am good for two more years. The "Durango rust" is in the front doors. Many Durango's get it! It starts at the bottom of the front doors & works it's way up the car door. I am good to the point that I am not getting water & air in the gap. But if I could just stop it I would be happy Grin. My wife used my car at times & there are a few dents LOL One does belong to me but the body is in good shape besides these few dents.

I got quoted $1,600 for the axles installed but he always comes in lower then his quotes by a fair margin.

Here is a funny thing: I had to take my car to a new station for an oil change because I was working out of town......I walk under my Durango & say to myself "look at all the rust & dirt under my car"........about a minute later the mechanic walks up to me & said.....wow this has to be the cleanest truck I have seen with this amount  miles & years on it Shocked Shocked   Shows you what I know LOL

He keeps telling me the lines on the brakes look good & they are mostly covered....I just worry about these things

Thanks again for your help!
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 01:49:05 am »

Thanks SR: We do have a state inspection & I passed it in October (has to do with air quality) So I am good for two more years. The "Durango rust" is in the front doors. Many Durango's get it! It starts at the bottom of the front doors & works it's way up the car door. I am good to the point that I am not getting water & air in the gap. But if I could just stop it I would be happy Grin. My wife used my car at times & there are a few dents LOL One does belong to me but the body is in good shape besides these few dents.

I got quoted $1,600 for the axles installed but he always comes in lower then his quotes by a fair margin.

Here is a funny thing: I had to take my car to a new station for an oil change because I was working out of town......I walk under my Durango & say to myself "look at all the rust & dirt under my car"........about a minute later the mechanic walks up to me & said.....wow this has to be the cleanest truck I have seen with this amount  miles & years on it Shocked Shocked   Shows you what I know LOL

He keeps telling me the lines on the brakes look good & they are mostly covered....I just worry about these things

Oh maybe I should have asked if we were talking about front or rear axles before I shot off my prices.  I think that might be part of the huge discrepancy there.  Sorry, the math still applies just with different numbers. 

You know there are things that can be done to slow the rust down.  The best, but most costly option would be to have a body shop actually repair or replace the rusted sections of the doors.  But there are spray paints on the market now such as, Permatex 81849 Rust Treatment, there are many other brands, you can find them at the hardware store or auto supply.  It goes on just like spray paint but it actually destroys the rust and converts it into a hard paintable and sandable coating.   It's not a cure all and unless you top coat it with paint that will match the Durango's paint, it'll be flat black when dry.  And unless you take the door apart you'll only be treating what you can see, which means it won't stop the rust but it will slow it down. 

I'll be looking forward to hearing what you find out next, and what your final decision is on the truck. 

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 01:15:04 pm »

Oh maybe I should have asked if we were talking about front or rear axles before I shot off my prices.  I think that might be part of the huge discrepancy there.  Sorry, the math still applies just with different numbers. 

You know there are things that can be done to slow the rust down.  The best, but most costly option would be to have a body shop actually repair or replace the rusted sections of the doors.  But there are spray paints on the market now such as, Permatex 81849 Rust Treatment, there are many other brands, you can find them at the hardware store or auto supply.  It goes on just like spray paint but it actually destroys the rust and converts it into a hard paintable and sandable coating.   It's not a cure all and unless you top coat it with paint that will match the Durango's paint, it'll be flat black when dry.  And unless you take the door apart you'll only be treating what you can see, which means it won't stop the rust but it will slow it down. 

I'll be looking forward to hearing what you find out next, and what your final decision is on the truck. 

Rear axles...as far as the rust........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0YFJvWmoes       LOL thanks again
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 02:11:56 pm »

Rear axles...as far as the rust........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0YFJvWmoes       LOL thanks again

Yea, my quote was for fronts.  Here I thought I would get to see a video of your truck Smiley  It's true rust never stops but you can slow it down.

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 07:13:50 pm »

Thanks for your help on the Car. I went to my guys to tell them to put the car back on the road & they said No.....LOL .....they told me to let it go. Too many bad things coming up ITO.

So  I went back over my data base & said there is only one car for me that I looked at over the last three week........2008 Aspen...If my guy approves of it.....it is mine...I will then say goodbye to a friend.

That's it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: