Backyard Theater Forum
December 17, 2017, 05:13:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
78 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:13:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Popcorn machines with free S/H  (Read 12708 times)
genesis76

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2015, 04:23:45 pm »

This is a cool site but I am not an expert on popcorn machines......The company sells pretty good "stuff" from what I have bought.

Now it is not that I don't like popcorn....Because I love it!    But it does not love me Roll Eyes

Anyway anyone looking they all look good to me. I like the machines that holds other things also

http://cdnimg2.webstaurantstore.com/uploads/flyer/2015/3/mar30_email.html?utm_source=webstaurant&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email%2DMar30%2D2015
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:38:36 pm by genesis76 » Logged
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:16:01 pm »

Thanks for the link.  We are actively looking for popcorn machine at the moment.  If we are going to sell popcorn to help pay for the upkeep on at the theatre we best have a popcorn machine.  I don't really know squat about popcorn machines, I keep hoping to find one used but no luck yet. 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:53:38 pm »

Thanks for the link.  We are actively looking for popcorn machine at the moment.  If we are going to sell popcorn to help pay for the upkeep on at the theatre we best have a popcorn machine.  I don't really know squat about popcorn machines, I keep hoping to find one used but no luck yet. 

We had many popcorn posts on here a few years ago with people buying great  machines at great prices.....It just ended.  So please anyone with info on these things please speak up?
Happykmpr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:47:11 am »

I've purchased 2 recently. Both Great Northern machines off Amazon.

From my experiences, you want to look at how much popcorn need, as this will determine kettle size. My first machine had an 8oz kettle. It did very well for our backyard events (averaged about 40-50 people) as well as for our kids school movie nights. Serving size is important too. Depending on the function, depends on the size. We have 1 oz bags and 1.5 oz bags. (Would be interested to hear what others charge for these sizes!) An 8 oz kettle will yield about 8 - 1oz servings. I say "about" as it will depend how many unpopped kernels jump out of the ottos during the popping.

The new machine has a 12 oz kettle. And it will pop. Some. Corn!!! Love this machine. Pops a LOT and pops it fast! :-)

Aside from kettle size, you'll want to look at wattage, as the higher wattage machines will pop the corn faster. My 8 oz machine was 850 watts. The 12 oz machine is 1350 watts. But keep in mind if you run your entire BYT off one circuit, a higher wattage machine could trip the breaker.

Our 8 oz machine handled the 80+ guests we had when we showed Frozen last year.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:31:23 am »

I've purchased 2 recently. Both Great Northern machines off Amazon.

From my experiences, you want to look at how much popcorn need, as this will determine kettle size. My first machine had an 8oz kettle. It did very well for our backyard events (averaged about 40-50 people) as well as for our kids school movie nights. Serving size is important too. Depending on the function, depends on the size. We have 1 oz bags and 1.5 oz bags. (Would be interested to hear what others charge for these sizes!) An 8 oz kettle will yield about 8 - 1oz servings. I say "about" as it will depend how many unpopped kernels jump out of the ottos during the popping.

The new machine has a 12 oz kettle. And it will pop. Some. Corn!!! Love this machine. Pops a LOT and pops it fast! :-)

Aside from kettle size, you'll want to look at wattage, as the higher wattage machines will pop the corn faster. My 8 oz machine was 850 watts. The 12 oz machine is 1350 watts. But keep in mind if you run your entire BYT off one circuit, a higher wattage machine could trip the breaker.

Our 8 oz machine handled the 80+ guests we had when we showed Frozen last year.

Wow looks like you are the "king of corn" Shocked in your area Grin

I hear with some of the cheap machines "under powered" that you need to put in less popcorn so the machines can handle it. So like 6oz in an 8oz machine four into a six ETC..
Happykmpr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:55:52 am »

Hahahaha. Not quite  but I did learn a lot.

That is true for under powered units: put less corn in. Less unpopped kernels pop out when popping. Definitely worth getting the higher wattage unit, as long as the circuit can handle it.
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:55:34 pm »

Ya, I have a Great Northern popper as well.  It's held up a lot longer than I expected it would for $149.  Although it may have the noisiest gear box I have ever heard!

It is supposedly an 8oz kettle, but with its shallow design and low wattage it's more realistically a 6oz kettle in practice.

If I have to buy another at some point I'll pay the extra $ for a Gold Medal.  I should have just done that in the first place.

-Sparge-
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 06:08:00 pm »

Ya, I have a Great Northern popper as well.  It's held up a lot longer than I expected it would for $149.  Although it may have the noisiest gear box I have ever heard!

It is supposedly an 8oz kettle, but with its shallow design and low wattage it's more realistically a 6oz kettle in practice.

If I have to buy another at some point I'll pay the extra $ for a Gold Medal.  I should have just done that in the first place.

-Sparge-

So Sparge do these specs compare with GM or GN?  Just curious
Happykmpr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 07:43:22 pm »

The great northern kettles DO seem small compared to the Gold Medal machines.

pistolero56

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 10:51:19 am »

yes, if you can get the higher wattage machine than great.
I have a 6oz jetstar rated at 1,100 watts. I use 8oz kernel baggies and it does the job with no problem.

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 05:56:27 pm »

-Sparge-

The two cheaper machines they offer (4oz and 8oz) are similar in specs/quality to the Great Northern machines.  They look like cheap Chinese poppers with low wattage kettles (850W) and questionable building materials.  For instance, the floor of my Great Northern popper is supposed to be made of stainless.  I don't know what that metal is, but it's not food-grade stainless steel.

The two pricier models (8oz and 8oz w/storage) look like they might be made by Paragon International which is another reputable manufacturer.  They seem to be a step up and have a higher wattage kettle (1350W).  Even if these are made by Paragon they still fall a little short of Gold Medal quality.  I've worked with both Paragon and Gold Medal machines at one time or another.  Paragon uses too much common steel in their design.  They actually rust from the steam created by popping and their paint bubbles off.

By comparison some popular Gold Medal models (#2656, #2660, #2661) have only 6oz kettles but 1300 watts of power.  These models are variations of their "60 Special" line of poppers.  I'm keeping my eye out for a good price on the #2661, "Ultimate 60 Special" which features a stainless dome (rather than steel) on top and welded aluminum frame construction.  It's quite the tank and will likely last forever.

http://www.gmpopcorn.com/products/product-description.cfm?pid=2426

The going rate seems to be around $700 new.  Well worth it, in my opinion.  I would never buy another $150 popper.

-Sparge-
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 06:17:01 pm »

-Sparge-

The two cheaper machines they offer (4oz and 8oz) are similar in specs/quality to the Great Northern machines.  They look like cheap Chinese poppers with low wattage kettles (850W) and questionable building materials.  For instance, the floor of my Great Northern popper is supposed to be made of stainless.  I don't know what that metal is, but it's not food-grade stainless steel.

The two pricier models (8oz and 8oz w/storage) look like they might be made by Paragon International which is another reputable manufacturer.  They seem to be a step up and have a higher wattage kettle (1350W).  Even if these are made by Paragon they still fall a little short of Gold Medal quality.  I've worked with both Paragon and Gold Medal machines at one time or another.  Paragon uses too much common steel in their design.  They actually rust from the steam created by popping and their paint bubbles off.

By comparison some popular Gold Medal models (#2656, #2660, #2661) have only 6oz kettles but 1300 watts of power.  These models are variations of their "60 Special" line of poppers.  I'm keeping my eye out for a good price on the #2661, "Ultimate 60 Special" which features a stainless dome (rather than steel) on top and welded aluminum frame construction.  It's quite the tank and will likely last forever.

The going rate seems to be around $700 new.  Well worth it, in my opinion.  I would never buy another $150 popper.

-Sparge-

So I guess we are talking low end, Middle of the road & high end with GM. So we have something for every price range folks,,,,A big thanks to Sparge as always.

If it were me for home use I would go middle of the road but that is just me.

So Sparge you are the "Top of the pops" on this site  Wink
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:18:53 pm by genesis76 » Logged
Player

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 12:23:47 pm »

-Sparge-
[/quote]

I can check and see if they have any refirbished units in stock (I'm friends with one of the owners of GM). They have them on occasion and usually about 1/2 the price of the new ones.
They had a 4 oz machine last summer, but I couldn't talk the wife into $250 on it. I have a cheaper 6oz machine, and can always "borrow" a bigger GM machine if I need it.
OutdoorGeek

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 06:15:57 pm »

I have that machine, the Gold Medal "Deluxe Sixty Special" (#2661) and absolutely love it!  I found it on our local Craig's list with the matching cart in perfect condition except that the plexiglass doors were cracked.  I cut some new ones from thicker stock and all is good. 

The stainless steel won't rust and will withstand the steamy salty environment created by popping corn.  It is a 6 oz kettle (conservatively rated) but as has been pointed out is relatively high wattage.  I have no problem making 8 oz batches for measurement ease.  Use coconut oil and flavacol and you will be hooked.  It keeps up with the neighborhood kids for all sorts of gatherings.

I can absolutely recommend it; it is one of those "unnecessary" purchases that provides way more enjoyment than I thought it would.

Best!
Eric Lips Sealed

* DSC_0632.JPG (100.63 KB, 680x1024 - viewed 358 times.)
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 06:26:52 pm »

I have that machine, the Gold Medal "Deluxe Sixty Special" (#2661) and absolutely love it!  I found it on our local Craig's list with the matching cart in perfect condition except that the plexiglass doors were cracked.  I cut some new ones from thicker stock and all is good. 

The stainless steel won't rust and will withstand the steamy salty environment created by popping corn.  It is a 6 oz kettle (conservatively rated) but as has been pointed out is relatively high wattage.  I have no problem making 8 oz batches for measurement ease.  Use coconut oil and flavacol and you will be hooked.  It keeps up with the neighborhood kids for all sorts of gatherings.

I can absolutely recommend it; it is one of those "unnecessary" purchases that provides way more enjoyment than I thought it would.

Best!
Eric Lips Sealed

So you have the gift that keeps on giving
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: