Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 03:37:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
112 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:37:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member Sign Up Suggestion.  (Read 15961 times)
mccorkled

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2015, 06:44:55 pm »

I just got a notification the other day that I was approved by the mods to join this forum. I cannot even recall when I even decided to sign up because it took that long to get approved. It seems like this place is basically dead and it took me several months to find that out. Why not take away the approval guidelines and open this place up? There is a ton of good info that needs to be shared. I run XBMC and am the original creator of the XBMC Home Theater MEGA Pack. I would like to get more people over here but not if it takes forever for them to join.

Like I said, I don't even remember ever even signing up over here.

Just an idea!
Thanks Smiley
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 03:54:04 am »

I just got a notification the other day that I was approved by the mods to join this forum. I cannot even recall when I even decided to sign up because it took that long to get approved. It seems like this place is basically dead and it took me several months to find that out. Why not take away the approval guidelines and open this place up? There is a ton of good info that needs to be shared. I run XBMC and am the original creator of the XBMC Home Theater MEGA Pack. I would like to get more people over here but not if it takes forever for them to join.

Just an idea!
Thanks Smiley

I don't want to put words in the month of the admin, but you can darn well bet I'm going defend this place.  I will admit it has had it's ups and downs.  There was a period where some folks had trouble getting approved and there has been quite a bit of concern about that.  He maybe still catching up on that, I don't know.  However this place is far from dead in my eyes and if you took the time to read though the posts you would see that we have been on the up swing in the past few months, both in terms of new members and post activity.

Have you noticed that there is absolutely zero spam here?  I'm sure part of that is the manual approval process, and likely why it is the way it is. 

But I do agree that the sign up process needs to go smoothly and that people need to be approved in a timely fashion.  I just don't think that automatic approval of anyone that signs up is a good idea, because of the potential to create a huge spam problem. 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:24:19 pm »

As a newbie myself, it did take some time to get approved to be on here and while I agree it does need some streamlining; I do like that the sight is not saturated by the crazy "work from home ads" you see everywhere.  And even when I couldn't post most of my questions were answered just reading through the posts from members from over the years.  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:41:31 pm by lowcrawl » Logged

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:32:18 pm »

Just an idea!
Thanks Smiley

I don't want to put words in the month of the admin, but you can darn well bet I'm going defend this place.  I will admit it has had it's ups and downs.  There was a period where some folks had trouble getting approved and there has been quite a bit of concern about that.  He maybe still catching up on that, I don't know.  However this place is far from dead in my eyes and if you took the time to read though the posts you would see that we have been on the up swing in the past few months, both in terms of new members and post activity.

Have you noticed that there is absolutely zero spam here?  I'm sure part of that is the manual approval process, and likely why it is the way it is. 

But I do agree that the sign up process needs to go smoothly and that people need to be approved in a timely fashion.  I just don't think that automatic approval of anyone that signs up is a good idea, because of the potential to create a huge spam problem. 

Ditto: hey we even allow you to change your name Grin Grin
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:04:24 pm »

Yes, yes they do and I very much appreciate that. 

Honestly I love these forums, no maybe there not the most technologically advanced, or as flashy as some, but you know what there is a lot of knowledge here, both within the users that contribute but also already written in the messages.    Certain aspects my not run as smoothly here as we might all like them too, but keep in mind it's not like there are a bunch of  ads all over making the forum owner a bunch of money like at some other places may do.  In some ways I feel like I was welcomed into a family when I got here.  And that has meant a lot to me.  I doubt that my BYT would even still be going if it weren't for the support I've received here.   I appreciate that and I'm very grateful for all of the time and effort that Randy puts in.  I guess what I'm saying is, it might not be perfect, but it's a really great place, to be.  And Welcome to the family Mccorkled I hope that in the future you will see the value here, and invite your friends to join. 

SR

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 03:49:45 pm »

Yes, yes they do and I very much appreciate that. 

Honestly I love these forums, no maybe there not the most technologically advanced, or as flashy as some, but you know what there is a lot of knowledge here, both within the users that contribute but also already written in the messages.    Certain aspects my not run as smoothly here as we might all like them too, but keep in mind it's not like there are a bunch of  ads all over making the forum owner a bunch of money like at some other places may do.  In some ways I feel like I was welcomed into a family when I got here.  And that has meant a lot to me.  I doubt that my BYT would even still be going if it weren't for the support I've received here.   I appreciate that and I'm very grateful for all of the time and effort that Randy puts in.  I guess what I'm saying is, it might not be perfect, but it's a really great place, to be.  And Welcome to the family Mccorkled I hope that in the future you will see the value here, and invite your friends to join. 

SR

well said...DITTO
mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 07:53:01 pm »

Ive been running small and large forums for quite a few years.  I have been using SMF since it came out.
This forum needs a major update.  The software is now in 2.0 status and has progressed exponentially.

Its great to limit users to being approved by the admins.  When its in a timely manner.  When its not, there needs to be an overhaul of the system.  It becomes ineffective. 
Opening up the forum so that users do not need to be approved will not allow an over run of spam.  You force a registration approval email.  You then rely on your moderators and users to report and eliminate spam postings.
You can also install an SMF addon that will help control spam posts, ip's and emails.

I would love to help bring this forum back up to date.  Sign me up to help.

There is another problem that is larger however.  With Facebook being so prominent and offering pages and groups it has really put forums in a dark corner.  People in all hobbies have stopped using forums to the extent they did 10 years ago. 

With that said, there is a lot of great information here and a lot of potential.  I hope that it can come back and open up a bit more.  Change isnt a bad thing.

Projector: BenQ W1070 - 9'X16' Black out cloth screen - 4,000 watt stereo
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 02:27:22 am »

Ive been running small and large forums for quite a few years.  I have been using SMF since it came out.
This forum needs a major update.  The software is now in 2.0 status and has progressed exponentially.

Its great to limit users to being approved by the admins.  When its in a timely manner.  When its not, there needs to be an overhaul of the system.  It becomes ineffective. 
Opening up the forum so that users do not need to be approved will not allow an over run of spam.  You force a registration approval email.  You then rely on your moderators and users to report and eliminate spam postings.
You can also install an SMF addon that will help control spam posts, ip's and emails.

I would love to help bring this forum back up to date.  Sign me up to help.

There is another problem that is larger however.  With Facebook being so prominent and offering pages and groups it has really put forums in a dark corner.  People in all hobbies have stopped using forums to the extent they did 10 years ago. 

With that said, there is a lot of great information here and a lot of potential.  I hope that it can come back and open up a bit more.  Change isnt a bad thing.

I don't know squat about SMF, so I can't comment on that.  I don't know why registration is the way it is, I was only speculating on why it might be the way it is and no I have never run a forum.  I do agree that unfortunately facebook has hurt forums like this one dramatically.  I have seen a number of forums that I use to frequent die off in the last 10 years.  Yet a few have survived, this is one of them and given that there are few places dedicated to BYT I think this forum could be and should be around for a long time to come.  Obviously we have new users such as yourself so I see that as a good thing.   

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 09:21:26 am »

Why can't we combine the forum & FB. Is there away to do both at the same time so one feeds off the other? Maybe twitter also.......lets join forces to make better sites. I am second in charge with another guy on a Jets forum & the owner is attached to every kind of modern link. We are growing in a competitive market. My position is "I C O S H " so I don't set up the site.
RoseRanch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 02:35:44 pm »

The "ton of good info that needs to be shared" is already being shared by anyone who happens to want to read it.  It's available.

The forum doesn't "need a major update."  It works fine.

To me this is one of those "build it and they will come" deals.  It's here for people who want to read it.  If someone is bothered by the wait for approval, I guess that's just the way it is.  Sounds like a minor inconvenience to me.

True that Facebook has probably taken some of the traffic from here and forums in general.  That's also just the way it is.  Traffic tends to increase when we hit summertime in the U.S.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 04:06:38 pm »

The "ton of good info that needs to be shared" is already being shared by anyone who happens to want to read it.  It's available.

To me this is one of those "build it and they will come" deals.  It's here for people who want to read it.  If someone is bothered by the wait for approval, I guess that's just the way it is.  Sounds like a minor inconvenience to me.

True that Facebook has probably taken some of the traffic from here and forums in general.  That's also just the way it is.  Traffic tends to increase when we hit summertime in the U.S.

If I may disagree in this day & age you need to keep it fresh. Things change daily so we need to change with it. nothing major but little changes are good...keep it fresh
RoseRanch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 04:46:49 pm »

There's also the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Smiley

Sure you may disagree, my friend.  What would you change?

Part of my stance is the aggravation that comes with some sites that are always tinkering with their layout, etc.  I remember at one time Yahoo was changing their layout every week it seemed like.  At that time I had been a user for many years and I just got tired searching their packed page looking for where I was supposed to log in this week.  It gets silly.  No longer a Yahoo user.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 05:37:24 pm »

Part of my stance is the aggravation that comes with some sites that are always tinkering with their layout, etc.  I remember at one time Yahoo was changing their layout every week it seemed like.  At that time I had been a user for many years and I just got tired searching their packed page looking for where I was supposed to log in this week.  It gets silly.  No longer a Yahoo user.

I do agree with you.......but in this case we are broke. We need traffic.  lol

So what would I do......Huh?

Now this is not a knock on Randy He did a great job with this site, & it is his money & time not my time & money.

But you asked Grin

I would look to build traffic with more blogs, & links to other media sites.

Get guests writers to write features on here.

Organize more gatherings around the country.

Get more people interested in food & drink.

We have lost our excitement on here the past few years I would find out why & try to gain that excitement back.

We had prizes on here a few years ago. Hats shirts for sale would be great.

I know a good BYT friend on here will be mad with me on this but a Thursday night or once a month Chat room might be nice.

A chat with guests from Epson or Carl's screens on here might be nice.

That is a start

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 05:39:45 pm »

RR I do agree on too many changes is not good. On our jets site I think we make too many changes but I am only second in command LOL.....But we are growing
mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 07:32:55 pm »

That's an amazing outlook on this place.  Thoughts like this are why forums are a dying breed and falling behind.
I'll be honest here.  If you can't understand why I said it needs an update with the software, you wont understand my reasoning.  Older folks dont tend to get technology, staying current, or change.   
Ill just leave you and your mind set and chalk it up to just the way it is.  Best of luck in all you do.

Projector: BenQ W1070 - 9'X16' Black out cloth screen - 4,000 watt stereo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: