Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 03:54:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
95 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:54:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help me!!!  (Read 3023 times)
dbt

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:24:34 pm »

ok, so i literally have NO idea of what i'm doing, but i try. i keep reading threads, going on amazon, looking at top rated projectors and such.....but really none of it makes any sense to me because i'm SO LOW TECH.

anyway, so, based on the reviews on amazon (i know, i'm THAT lame), i went with:

ViewSonic PJD5134 SVGA DLP Projector, 3000 Lumens, 3D Blu-Ray w/HDMI, 120Hz
and
Gemmy AirblownŽ 39121X Movie Screen-12 ft. Screen w/Storage Bag

but now i need sound.

i'm also looking for a bluetooth speaker for my mac. i found this on amazon:

Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker

would i be able to use this speaker for playing music from my mac AND with my projector?

if not, could someone please recommend something for me?

a little info: setting up backyard theater for my boys 3 & 5 years old. for family/friends/neighbor fun!

thank you!
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:45:03 am »

I would bring the manual to the projector to best buy & ask them to show you some audio to match the projector for outside use. Take a picture of the back of the projector on your phone & bring that also.

Come back home & study your options for a couple of days...If you want post them here
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:43:35 pm »

What's your budget for sound? Many BYT people just use an old powered receiver (non-HDMI ones can be had for less than $100 on craigslist) and a couple bookshelf-type speakers. This will provide very reasonable sound for cheap. The downside is it can be a bit awkward to setup each time unless you wire it up to be semi-permanent so you only have to connect the speakers at each show.

A better but more expensive solution is to buy some powered speakers. Your local music store/Guitar Center-type place will sell complete systems such as the Fender Passport series or Yamaha Stagepas series in the $400-$700 range which will provide high quality sound and a mini mixer in a single package. Used systems like this can be had even cheaper (I sold my Yamaha Stagepas system on craigslist for $250 last year). One advantage of owning a mini PA system like this is that is can be used for other things as well. I setup my sound system in the backyard by itself just to play music far more than I do the whole system with the movie screen.

The Bose speaker you mentioned probably isn't big enough to work outdoors. Sound dissipates very quickly in an open environment and generally speaking physically larger speakers are going to work better...especially when you consider backyard movies are very casual and people are more likely to talk/eat/drink during them instead of being perfectly quiet as you would in a indoor theater.

On the projector side of things, Viewsonic makes good machines, but I'm personally partial to Epson LCD projectors and own quite a few of them. No rainbow issues and 720P on the mid-range models makes for a very good combo (unless you really need the 3D features).

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: