Backyard Theater Forum
December 17, 2017, 05:07:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
89 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:07:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our ever changing setup.  (Read 8940 times)
mykal

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2015, 07:12:49 pm »

My wife has forbid me from buying yet another TV. 
You see in 2012 I stopped at a friends house and he had a 46" LED TV with an XBox 360 playing Call of Duty.  Im not a gamer.  I ended up not coming home that night because I couldnt put the damn controller down.  The next day I came home with a 55" LED TV and Xbox 360.  I claimed it was for the upcoming Superbowl as that is common ground for us.
In 2013 the day before the Super Bowl I brought home a 70" LED TV.  For the game of course.
In 2014 she told me not to come home with a larger TV.  I didnt.  I ordered a BenQ W1070 from Amazon.  It showed up the day before the Super Bowl.  I purchased a bolt of black out cloth from Jo Ann Fabrics at a hefty discount.  I cant sew and dont have the means.  I asked on a Facebook Yardsale group if anyone could sew it length wise for me.
I had enough for two screens.  Both 9'x14'.  Cost me $10. 
I didnt touch up any of these pics so some appear to be taken with a potato.

I then came home that night with a very large stereo.  For the game of course.
Thats 1 15" sub in each cabinet.  I drive it with about 2K RMS.

On to the pictures, which are not that exciting.
We have one screen by the pool and hot tub.  Its simply held up by a C Clamp at each corner.  Its does the job and its quick to put up and take down.

The kids love it.  Especially being able to swim and watch a movie.

We started using it out front more often in hopes that we can get our neighbors in on the action.
At first I hung it from a rope stretched between the garage doors.  That worked but I had alot of material laying on the ground and it wasnt tensioned.

So my daughter and I handed out 175 flyers in our neighborhood 2 days before a Saturday.  I figured I should figure out a better solution.  I came up with this.  2" Schedule 40 PVC.  Ill be adding triangle shaped bases to it so that I can move it away from the garage and into the yard and make it free standing.

We tested it out.

It worked.  With the first showing being the night before Mothers Day and with two days notice I only had about 15 people total show up. 

Ive since created a website for those that dont use Facebook, a newsletter and bought some ads on Facebook to target within 1 mile of my house.  My daughter and I will be handing out another 300 flyers in a few days.

This started out just for us but its just to good not to share with everyone around us.  If you are ever around the Treasure Coast feel free to stop by.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:15:22 pm by mykal » Logged

Projector: BenQ W1070 - 9'X16' Black out cloth screen - 4,000 watt stereo
Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:05:28 pm »

How are you finding the BenQ W1070? I'm particularly interested in whether its bright enough for your purposes, what mode are you using it in and if you've had experience with RBE with it. I know this PJ gets great reviews for home cinema but I've not read about its performance outside for BYT duties.
mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:18:17 pm »

I move it around, a lot.  It obviously doesnt stay outside so it gets unplugged after every use. 
That means that the settings return to default after every use. 
So thats what I use because Im lazy.  I dont want to delay the movie to setup the projector.
I use it on Dynamic mode most of the time.

With that said, its amazing.  I've never had any rainbow effect with it.  No one has ever mentioned it if they have seen it.
Plenty bright enough.  I can start a pre show well before the sun goes down if I move it closer.  At that point its still about 6' diagonal.  Plenty bright enough. 

I have absolutely no complaints with it.  Ive got around 150 hours on it.  It rivals my LED tv's wth out a doubt.
I took the time to setup the colors and everything for the Superbowl.  It was nice for sure, not worth doing it every time for most people that wont even notice.

Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 09:23:44 pm »

I've got to say I think the picture looks nice and bright even though as you say the picture was taken with a potato  Grin. I had read on the AVS forum at least I think it was that it lacked abit of brightness so its good to hear your experience.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 09:56:08 pm »

You have a nice setup!  Enjoy
mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 07:31:41 pm »

Thanks, it really is pretty crappy compare to quite a few on here but it does the job.

We passed out 325 invites though out our neighborhood this evening and kicked off another facebook ad campaign as well. 

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:52:54 pm »

Thanks, it really is pretty crappy compare to quite a few on here but it does the job.

We passed out 325 invites though out our neighborhood this evening and kicked off another facebook ad campaign as well. 

Have you seen our read about mine?  No yours is not crappy at all, it's economical and it works for you.  I've seen the photos  Smiley  You have a nice bright picture and any wrinkle you may have in your screen don't appear to be noticeable while the movie is showing.  If you enjoy it, your family enjoys it and anyone you have over enjoys it, it's not crappy.  You need to give yourself a little credit, there maybe folks with better setups out there, but there are also folks that would love to have what you do.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 09:24:48 am »

Have you seen our read about mine?  No yours is not crappy at all, it's economical and it works for you.  I've seen the photos  Smiley  You have a nice bright picture and any wrinkle you may have in your screen don't appear to be noticeable while the movie is showing.  If you enjoy it, your family enjoys it and anyone you have over enjoys it, it's not crappy.  You need to give yourself a little credit, there maybe folks with better setups out there, but there are also folks that would love to have what you do.

Maybe i came across as ungrateful for my setup.  Im definately not.   Grin  Im a pretty lucky guy overall. I understand what you're saying.

nivek

MOONLIGHT Backyard Theater

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 04:20:43 pm »

I think your setup is great.

Say you have a 52in TV! Try a 9X21', then we'll talk.
Nivek/KCS
mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 06:13:29 pm »

Pool party all day, movie at night.

We rent our house, our landlord decided to sell the house.  We have 2 months to be moved out.  The housing market in Florida has skyrocketed in the past few months.  We may be living under the screen on the beach soon.

It's not quite that dire... yet.   Grin

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 07:10:54 pm »

Pool party all day, movie at night.

We rent our house, our landlord decided to sell the house.  We have 2 months to be moved out.  The housing market in Florida has skyrocketed in the past few months.  We may be living under the screen on the beach soon.

It's not quite that dire... yet.   Grin

After this winter in CT living under the screen on the beach sounds great
Lincolntech

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 11:32:21 pm »

Buy the house!
mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 08:49:18 am »

Buy the house!

Nope.  It is to far from the beach, about 35 minutes one way.  For what he is asking it should be out on the island.
It also has some issues that would push me away from buying it even if it were closer. 
Honestly, we like renting, for now.

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 08:41:23 am »

[color=red"Our ever changing setup."][/color]

Change is good......I once belonged to a nudist BYT but when nothing changed so I left.

No seriously It is good for some. But in my case I have 90% of what I started with in 2008. I am happy with it as it is not my only hobby. I guess in a perfect world I would have HD but I am happy with what I have. Just the big picture does it for me. But keep it going I love to read about it
mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 10:12:21 am »

[color=red"]Our ever changing setup."][/color]

Change is good......I once belonged to a nudist BYT but when nothing changed so I left.

No seriously It is good for some. But in my case I have 90% of what I started with in 2008. I am happy with it as it is not my only hobby. I guess in a perfect world I would have HD but I am happy with what I have. Just the big picture does it for me. But keep it going I love to read about it

More about the change in screen size and location more so then the audio and video I guess.
I'm happy with what I have.  It gets the job done. 
This isnt my only hobby either.  I have been trying to reign in the amount of "hobbies" that I do have though.   Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: