Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 03:52:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
89 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:52:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PA Speakers  (Read 8907 times)
jjp735i

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2015, 06:42:43 am »

I picked up some PA speakers out of the trash. Both have the amps built in and all kind of connections on the back. From what I read I should use XLR cables,  which they both have in and out.

I hooked up the one with a RCA to XLR cable directly from the dvd player and it sound great.  I want to have stereo so is it ok to run left rca to one and right rca to the other. I know I'll have to balance sound using the volume right on the speakers, but keeps from using a mixer.

I do have a small realistic mixer, but it only has RCA in and outs.

What would be the best. I know with the mixer I could balance the sound easier.
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:38:22 pm »

Great find! You'll be happiest getting a small mixer and running from DVD <RCA> Mixer <XLR> PA Speakers. That way you will have control of the volume without having to walk to the back of the speaker. Used mini mixers or line mixers can be had for $50 or less on craigslist or eBay.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
jjp735i

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 08:54:36 am »

Thanks for help, I'll have a small mixer I'm going to use. Your right will help control the volume.
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 05:12:18 pm »

It would be a benefit if you had a mixer that also converted the unbalanced RCA outputs of your player to balanced XLR connections.  You'll have better noise rejection over long runs.  By the way, RCA-to-XLR cables don't convert the signal.  The signal remains unbalanced in that situation.

-Soarge-
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:42:26 pm »

It would be a benefit if you had a mixer that also converted the unbalanced RCA outputs of your player to balanced XLR connections.  You'll have better noise rejection over long runs.  By the way, RCA-to-XLR cables don't convert the signal.  The signal remains unbalanced in that situation.

-Soarge-

Wow you too! if I put to much tequila in my drink I remain unbalanced for the whole night. Sometimes for days Shocked
jjp735i

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 11:55:10 am »

My set up is a bit different then most. All my equipment sits behind the screen out of site. The audio cables are only 6 feet from mixer to speakers.

I use a 30 foot hdmi cable to the projector that sits all by itself on a tripod.  This has been working out nicely for 3-4 years now.

I know about balanced and unbalanced, but from test runs in the house I'm not getting any hum so i think I'll be ok.   

I have so much more to learn about PA speakers.

I've downloaded the manual for the Eurolive B812neo speakers.  Tested both and both work, but one has a blown woofer. Searching for good replacement now. Can't beat that for trash find.

Just need to find a decent blueray player to replace the dvd one I'm using now.

This is going to be huge upgrade in sound from past years when I was only using small bookshelf speakers. 

Thanks for tip though.
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 02:46:57 pm »

I've downloaded the manual for the Eurolive B812neo speakers.  Tested both and both work, but one has a blown woofer. Searching for good replacement now. Can't beat that for trash find.

Eurolive B812neo speakers, if that's what you have, are bi-amped.  That is to say they have one built-in amplifier circuit for the woofer and another built-in amplifier circuit for the tweeter.  Make sure you determine if the problem is the amp or the driver before you spend any money.  If they weren't bi-amped it could also have been the crossover circuitry.  Not likely in this case.

Another thought is the Eurolive B812neo line carries a 3-year warranty. Depending upon when this line was introduced it may be that ALL units are still covered under warranty. I've had more than one manufacturer take a unit in for repair without a sales receipt for this reason.

-Sparge-
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 03:20:41 pm »

My set up is a bit different then most. All my equipment sits behind the screen out of site. The audio cables are only 6 feet from mixer to speakers.

I use a 30 foot hdmi cable to the projector that sits all by itself on a tripod.  This has been working out nicely for 3-4 years now.

Just need to find a decent blueray player to replace the dvd one I'm using now.

Make sure the Blu-ray player you go with has analog audio outputs.  Otherwise you'll have a problem getting the audio to your new speakers.  Many of the newer inexpensive players only have HDMI out.

-Sparge-
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 01:45:48 am »

Make sure the Blu-ray player you go with has analog audio outputs.  Otherwise you'll have a problem getting the audio to your new speakers.  Many of the newer inexpensive players only have HDMI out.

-Sparge-

+1

The top of the line Samsung J7500 ($249) and the Oppo 103 ($499) are the only players I know of left that have analog outputs. New ones are getting hard to find, but you can always buy used for super cheap. I just picked up some more Panasonic Blu-ray players for $30/each at a local electronics store with analog outs.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
jjp735i

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 07:04:47 am »

Thanks for all the help. 

I have switched the woofers from one to the other so i  know all the amps are working. Tested the bad woofer directly and it's dead.

It does really stink that blue ray players don't have the analog connections. I have an oppo 103 in the house, but will probably just look for a used Blue Ray with analog audio.   Not looking to spend the money on another oppo or use it as double duty outside.

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 08:00:50 am »

Thanks for all the help. 

I have switched the woofers from one to the other so i  know all the amps are working. Tested the bad woofer directly and it's dead.

It does really stink that blue ray players don't have the analog connections. I have an oppo 103 in the house, but will probably just look for a used Blue Ray with analog audio.   Not looking to spend the money on another oppo or use it as double duty outside.

I agree leave the good stuff indoors
Player

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 01:50:16 pm »

Try Parts Express for your replacement woofer. They sell the B812NEO and should be able to recomend a suitable replacement. Or possibly provide warranty service if you're so lucky.
jjp735i

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 11:04:31 am »

I wanted to thank everyone for your help, but turns out the eurolive has a blown amp for woofer. Glad I didn't buy anything.

Found another one in the trash, Yorkville nx55p, which is real nice with blown woofer. Took woofer out of eurolive and it works perfect.  Decided I didn't like all the stuff to change over to a PA system. Selling the Yorkville on craiglist for $250, already got a few people who say they want it. We'll see.

Just bought a Pioneer center channel http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-C22-Designed-Channel-Speaker/dp/B008NCD2EI  to upgrade the inside onkyo. 

Onkyo is moving to ouside duty with the Yamaha 636's and JVC dvd/surround receiver.  This set has served me well over the last 3 years, I think adding the center channel will enhance the vocals that is missing in a 2 speaker set up.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:06:37 am by jjp735i » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: