Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 11:17:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
84 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 11:17:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED projectors  (Read 6480 times)
Stillupinthis

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2015, 04:14:35 am »

I've been looking at the new LED projectors that are coming from China. Most of them are unbranded and have no reviews. I was wondering if anyone bought any of these or had any ideas about them?
Corzak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:38:35 pm »

I've been looking at the new LED projectors that are coming from China. Most of them are unbranded and have no reviews. I was wondering if anyone bought any of these or had any ideas about them?

With the price of some 1080p name brand projectors with proven track records and good warranties being $550 - $600 I know I wouldn't even consider one for half the price. With no branding and no reviews it's a total crap shoot and I've known people who have tried to save a few dollars and it turned out to be total crap. Chinese PJs are infamous for giving specs nowhere close to what they really produce. Do yourself a favor and avoid them!
fastbilly1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 02:22:26 pm »

I have a Benq GP1 that I used for an outdoor theater for a while.  It is 200 lumens, but where I live it is pitch black at night (I am over 1000 feet form the closest street light and 4 miles from town).  If you live in a major city you will not like it, unless you can get your area dark.  It does have a slightly washedout image at bigger sizes (like what you will be using it for outside), but that is just the nature of technology. 

If you are curious to the technology, the best no named one I have used is the Favi Rio 3:
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-RioHD-LED-3-Portable-LCD-Projector/dp/B0093YV67U/
It does fine in darkness, but you get what you pay for.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:36:39 pm »

I agree when I asked Phil Collins he said to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zwaks7AKSg
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 06:42:35 pm »

I have a Benq GP1 that I used for an outdoor theater for a while.  It is 200 lumens, but where I live it is pitch black at night (I am over 1000 feet form the closest street light and 4 miles from town).  If you live in a major city you will not like it, unless you can get your area dark.  It does have a slightly washedout image at bigger sizes (like what you will be using it for outside), but that is just the nature of technology. 

If you are curious to the technology, the best no named one I have used is the Favi Rio 3:
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-RioHD-LED-3-Portable-LCD-Projector/dp/B0093YV67U/
It does fine in darkness, but you get what you pay for.

I kind of like to geek out on lumens and foot lamberts.  The outdoor screens I have dealt with at the Sit & Vue are estimated to be about 8 and 10 FL.  While the Night-Sky comes in closer to 6 FL.  If your unaware Foot Lamberts can be measured with a device or roughly estimated using screen size, screen gain, throw distance and lumens.  Essentially it's a method of measuring brightness.  So I'd like to calculate the estimated Foot Lambert for the 200 Lumen BenQ.  If you could please post the approximant screen size you were using I can estimate the rest. Thanks!

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
fastbilly1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 10:59:28 am »

No problem SR, my GP1 is now permanently indoors on a 70s dalite 4:3 tension screen projecting at 79 inches 4:3.  By my rough calculation it is just over 2.75FL. 

I never knew you could get a standalone FL calculator.  I have a collection of different kinds of light meters from a previous line of work, but a FL calculator could be handy.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:59:00 am »

No problem SR, my GP1 is now permanently indoors on a 70s dalite 4:3 tension screen projecting at 79 inches 4:3.  By my rough calculation it is just over 2.75FL. 

I never knew you could get a standalone FL calculator.  I have a collection of different kinds of light meters from a previous line of work, but a FL calculator could be handy.

Thanks for the calculation.  That satisfies my urge. 

Ok so I have no personal experience, but I understand that one needs to project a particular test pattern on to the screen and then take a light reading in LUX.  Then you can, using another math equation figure an accurate and true FL reading.  I have ever done it myself as I don't own a light meter, but if memory serves there is an full write up on the AVS forum somewhere.  Since I don't do any of this professionally figuring an estimate from the PJ specs is good enough for me.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: