Backyard Theater Forum
December 15, 2017, 03:03:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
101 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 03:03:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I've decided to jump into this ring!  (Read 7235 times)
ss cinema

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2016, 10:20:44 pm »

Finally decided to take this hobby and bring it to the locals.  Going to start my business this spring!  Can't wait to really get going!  I have a little more paperwork to file, but I'll be updating on here for sure!  Wish me luck!
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 06:50:10 am »

What is your direction,  Backyards,  Parks, Corp.?

What size screens, projectors, audio system?

rg

rg
see you at the movies
ss cinema

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 06:45:14 pm »

Well, I plan to start in the backyard and work my way into more corporate and group showings.
As for equipment I'm gonna be using Viewsonic  PJD7820HD  on either a 10' framed screen, 12' inflatable, and a 16 by 9 framed screen, with intentions to upgrade to an inflatable 16 by 9.

Using Mackie Thump 15's for sound until I can get enough to get a set of either QSC or EV's. And I've always loved my Sony Blue ray players so i'm getting another one of those for now.

I have a little more paperwork to finish before I make it final, and one more stop to the lawyer's office, but that's been going good.

Really working on marketing right now.  Finding how and where to spend money on this is hard when we have no companies in my area that do the same thing to compare myself to.  After i get flyers and business cards done I guess I'll have to wow people with customer service and see what happens.

11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:56:17 pm »

The backyard-type events sell themselves. On average, I get another booking from someone in attendance from each backyard show I do. I started by using LivingSocial and doing a $99 deal on there, but after one year that wasn't necessary anymore. Now, five year in, I'm turning down events every year because it's too busy. That's a good problem to have.

I've used a lot of different equipment over the years so I can make specific recommendations for rental use if you like or even show you how I built out my racks for the quickest setup time. Just hit me up if you need help.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
ss cinema

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 09:57:34 am »

I totally appreciate the offer for help.  While I do have a good idea of what i'm starting with, I'd love to hear what you'd recommend for rental use.  I've already got upgrade-itis and have been looking at what I want to go with next.

And if you have a few pics of your rack setup I'd love to see that too.  Been trying to find an easy way to setup and tear down and just figured I'd give it a try early this spring, practice a few times a week until I start getting gigs. 

Anyone think it would be a bad idea to give a few showings out for this first year?  My day job is a manager at a gas station and I've been thinking of offering a showing to a few of my regular customers to help spread the word a little.
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:55:25 am »

Well I do not give anything for free.  FREE doesn't pay for the equipment.

LOCH makes a nice screen (have several just for backyards). You can do rear projection with this screen.

If your going to do little kids movie parties go for the Disney. The kids love it and so does MOM.

* DSCN0888.JPG (435.85 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 225 times.)

rg
see you at the movies
ss cinema

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 12:30:35 pm »

Those Loch screens do look nice, totally looking into getting one.  And I had totally forgot about the Disney screen.  Just added it to the things to get before opening day.   

I agree that Free doesn't pay for equipment, however, Free advertising does.  That was more the idea for doing a couple of free shows, and only as a "Grand Opening" event.  Get's them to invite more people, and like 11 visions says, get one or two paid shows to get the ball rolling.  Heck, I could probably even get the customers to tell people they paid for it.

Or perhaps I could do more of an event givaway, for all my customers in my first year, pick one out of a hat for a free showing for next year.  Maybe that's the way to go. 

Next question, on video game nights, do you guys have systems that you bring with, or do you require that the customer has their own system and games?
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 05:35:27 pm »

If you are doing FREE, find a charity or non-profit org.

Ref. games client supplies unit. You may have to have different type of cables to fit your system.

* 058.JPG (169.81 KB, 640x480 - viewed 253 times.)

rg
see you at the movies
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 07:27:03 pm »

I don't supply video game systems, but allow people to hook them up into an J-Tech HDMI switch that also splits out the audio to the mixer. That way they can switch back and forth and do both movies and video games on the same night without any rewiring.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
ss cinema

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 09:19:46 pm »

I like the idea of for a charity or non-profit.  I think I'm going to have to go to the schools here and see about helping them start a movie fundraiser.  Or maybe for the local Cerebral Palsy Association (which I have some personal history with) or Goodwill, something like that.  Heck maybe that's my gimmick to get more booked events.  Do 4 or 5 shows a season for these kind of things.  Imagine....the worlds first Wheelchair Drive in!!!  I call Dibs!!!

Yeah, getting an HDMI switch.  Figured it would be good for all kinds of stuff, games, karaoke, extra Blue ray player, etc. 
As for audio, I was thinking I'd just go out from the projector to the mixer, that way whatever was going through the projector, it comes out the speakers.  Is this a bad idea? 

Still hoping to see your setup there Phillip. 
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:38:41 am »

NO audio from the PJ.!   Audio from the Blu-ray to the switcher to the mixer to the speakers

PS the console pictures are from my 1st setup.  A lot has changed since then.

rg
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:41:16 am by movieman » Logged

rg
see you at the movies
Oldalgebra

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 01:40:25 pm »

Gosh, SS Cinema, you sound so excited.
Good luck on your new adventure. Do keep us posted once you begin your showings.

rich92069

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 09:46:06 pm »

good luck!

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 11:41:19 am »

Best of luck ...just keep it fun .....as you make money Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: