Backyard Theater Forum
December 18, 2017, 01:36:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
101 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:36:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBQ Grills & outdoor cooking stations  (Read 10726 times)
genesis76

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:26:43 pm »

Tell us a little about what kind of cooking equipment you use in your BYT?

What kinds of Grills do you use if any?

Do you have an outdoor kitchen?

Do you have hotdogs cookers

Do you have popcorn machines Etc.

Smokers

Pizza ovens

Just cooking on this thread...we will get into bars, dining sets, seating menus later.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 03:52:13 pm »

OK I will be the first! Grin

I just upgraded to a four burner Sears gas grill. I love it for direct & indirect cooking. I like to cook steaks, burgers, Dogs, Chicken & fish on it. I have a griddle that I use on it for breakfast. It makes cooking for a crowd on BYT nights easy.

I have an 18 inch Weber charcoal grill that I cook all the above on when I have the time. I can also use it to put a sear on a steak before going on the gas grill.  It has a side burner.....Now for me a side burner is great because you can cook lots of corn & baked beans to serve a crowd....A big plus in BYT.

If you don't have a side burner you can buy butane stoves for under $20.00

I have a Char-broil Big Easy IR Grills for Ribs, & chicken & turkey. This is a cooking machine.

We have a Pizza Pronto Pizza oven that I have not used yet,,,,,will not be good for a crowd but they say makes a good pizza from propane.

We have a Coleman Portable fryer for fries & wings....love the machine but not for large crowds

I don't like smoked food so I have no true smoker on site.

I have a few real cheap grills that I can setup by the movie area. They work well to keep dogs on for people that show up late who want a simple hot dog. It also supplies a little heat for those cold nights.

Because of the cost it is hard to feed  a crowd so it really comes down to potluck or Brats in beer.
for large crowds. With the griddle Grilled cheese for the kids are a good choice along with Dogs

If you do burgers one nice way is to set up a burger bar so that people can dress them the way they want. cuts down on your work. So do pre-made salads.

I see nothing wrong with serving dogs & saying to people they can bring their own food to cook.

Again, we will cover other topics later but I would like to know what equipment people are using for cooking & if they like it & How it works with BYT
Yendor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:06:21 pm »

Since I enjoy cooking so much, I will respond here too. I have the following for the BYT:
New Braunsfels "El Dorado" (stick burner BBQ pit) no pictures of this beast.
Green Mountain Grills "Daniel Boone" Pellet grill

Recent addition 1999 Weber Mastertouch in red.

Pizza Craft Pizzaque

I used 3 of these units this past weekend. The El Dorado is undergoing some refurbishing and welding as it is a leaky brute.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:10:25 pm »

I am glad you share the garage with the cars. You need to give them a little space not much but just a little LOL Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Yendor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 02:24:00 pm »

I am glad you share the garage with the cars. You need to give them a little space not much but just a little LOL Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
The cars are actually outside. You see I have a lot of hobbies. One is cars themselves. What you don't see is my 1990 Firebird and my 2012 Camaro or the commuter Focus that my son drives. Add to that the 5 bicycles in the garage as well. Just in outdoor rides last year I put on over 1500 miles on my road bike alone. I also have a fat bike and so does my wife (she has a road bike too) along with her mountain bike. My sons bike is in the shed. I also play drums, but no longer active there, but I have a full kit with electronics added. Yes, I like to stay busy.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 02:42:26 pm »

The cars are actually outside. You see I have a lot of hobbies. One is cars themselves. What you don't see is my 1990 Firebird and my 2012 Camaro or the commuter Focus that my son drives. Add to that the 5 bicycles in the garage as well. Just in outdoor rides last year I put on over 1500 miles on my road bike alone. I also have a fat bike and so does my wife (she has a road bike too) along with her mountain bike. My sons bike is in the shed. I also play drums, but no longer active there, but I have a full kit with electronics added. Yes, I like to stay busy.

That's good! it does pay to stay busy!

I Love Hockey, Football, & Baseball

I did love diving when younger.

Yendor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 10:33:48 am »

I have a very tolerant wife. This weekend is spring clean up weekend in our town. That means people pull out their junk and set it on the curb for pickup. Well as My wife was walking the dog she spotted a BBQ grill. She sent me a text saying, "I thought I found you another one, but it isn't a Weber." I asked for a pic and she sent me one.

I said, yes, that is a Weber, go get it. Check to see if it is rusted through and if not get it. She didn't know they use to come with metal handles. I assumed a mid 70's to early 80's model.

She then sent me the one I was going to ask for, the vent cover. This tells you everything that you need to know. Well, almost. I deciphered that this was a '73-'76 model based on what the vent cover has on it. It is in rough shape and needs some TLC, but a second redhead is what every man dreams of. I plan on cleaning it up, getting some wheels for it and possibly a ash catcher. Otherwise it is going to get used and abuse some more. My lucky day. She actually carried it home.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 02:24:01 pm »

Wow Keep her Grin Grin got to love those redheads Grin
fastbilly1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 04:00:34 pm »

I typically do a three grill attack:
1. Kingsford 24inch box
2. Weber smokey Jr - used mostly for restricted cooking (ie Kosher)
3. Big Green Egg - Large
I also have a 24inch "Backyard fun" grill that we use for in-husk corn if we have alot of people over. 

We run a stir crazy popcorn popper if people want it, or cook it castiron on the Kingsford.  But typically after an evening of swimming; hotdogs, burgers, and Boston butt, are what people want.

I recently came into a large collection of miscellaneous outdoor lumber, so I am actively looking for ideas to build an outdoor kitchen area. 
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 09:33:03 pm »

I typically do a three grill attack:
1. Kingsford 24inch box
2. Weber smokey Jr - used mostly for restricted cooking (ie Kosher)
3. Big Green Egg - Large
I also have a 24inch "Backyard fun" grill that we use for in-husk corn if we have alot of people over. 

We run a stir crazy popcorn popper if people want it, or cook it castiron on the Kingsford.  But typically after an evening of swimming; hotdogs, burgers, and Boston butt, are what people want.

I recently came into a large collection of miscellaneous outdoor lumber, so I am actively looking for ideas to build an outdoor kitchen area. 

This is a great site on Cooking outdoors &  this guy is building an outdoor kitchen talk about boston butts this guy is the king

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=16791.0
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:47:12 am by genesis76 » Logged
fastbilly1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 03:06:39 pm »

This is a great site on Cooking outdoors &  this guy is building an outdoor kitchen talk about boston butts this guy is the king

Good to know.  I have been following the NakedWhiz for some time (he is a legend in the BGE community), but also have a friend in competitive BBQ and chili, but there is always something new out there. 

Here is my cooking and general seating area as of this morning after last nights pressure washing:

I will be building a table that will go where that cart is and loop around the egg, and will butt up to the charcoal grill.  The cart was a drybar for a resort and like Yendor, I knicked it from someones trash.  The bins in it were shot so I cut some 1x4 and painted it BGE green.  We use it as a build your own for hotdogs and burgers. 

This will be the first summer with the BGE operational, so I am super excited.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 04:50:12 pm »

Good to know.  I have been following the NakedWhiz for some time (he is a legend in the BGE community), but also have a friend in competitive BBQ and chili, but there is always something new out there. 

Here is my cooking and general seating area as of this morning after last nights pressure washing:

I will be building a table that will go where that cart is and loop around the egg, and will butt up to the charcoal grill.  The cart was a drybar for a resort and like Yendor, I knicked it from someones trash.  The bins in it were shot so I cut some 1x4 and painted it BGE green.  We use it as a build your own for hotdogs and burgers. 

This will be the first summer with the BGE operational, so I am super excited.

You have a nice site there...Is it like 25 by 12? You can do a lot of cooking in a space like that.  If you join the cooking site my name there is "Tailgating is my game" I really am just a weekend cook but there are some amazing cooks on the site.

My area  is about 12 by 6 I have an outdoor sink. The 18 inch Webber & my large sears gas grill with side burner in this area. I can also put out my IR Char broil big easy in this space when I need too. My pizza oven gets put on our patio when we use it. The reason for this is we can make pizzas by the outdoor dinning table. This works best for us as we can all make the pizzas together.  The dinning area is around 20 by 12. We also have a bar there with three chairs. I do not have an outdoor fridge as I have a six day cooler & I get free ice from my club.

What is neat is we have a four season sunroom next to the grill area with a table that seats 6-8 so even in the rain or for large parties we can serve a good size crowd  between the patio, sunroom & kitchen tables.

I have six speakers setup two under the sunroom for the patio, two out by the pool & two in the sunroom. So it may not be ideal but it works well for us.

I save the best for last LOL I have two seats from Busch Stadium ll next to my grill area so my friends can sit & talk to me as I grill. It even has a bottle opener for them so they don't have to get up.......Also, it has a red rope light on the house next to the seats ...the rope is the shape of the STL Arch  LOL
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:53:19 pm by genesis76 » Logged
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 04:56:20 pm »

What I wish In had was a fireproof overhang for the grill for when it really rains hard maybe in a couple of years. Do you have a deck above yours or is it open air?
Happykmpr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 03:05:56 pm »

What I wish In had was a fireproof overhang for the grill for when it really rains hard maybe in a couple of years. Do you have a deck above yours or is it open air?

Check Sams. Saw this there today.

* image.png (1189.06 KB, 1136x640 - viewed 246 times.)
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 04:06:06 pm »

Check Sams. Saw this there today.

Those are great but at this time my budget does not allow it LOL   But that looks great.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: