Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 02:15:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
126 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:15:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In the Heart of the Sea  (Read 1786 times)
Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:45:40 am »

There was a bit of a dry spell in 3D releases and I decided to pre-order "In the Heart of the Sea" even though I didn't research it very much.  It arrived back a couple of weeks ago, but Saturday was the first opportunity I had to watch it.  Bottom Line, I give it a B-.  I really like Ron Howard as a director, he has given us some classic films this certainly will not be one of them.  The storyline felt like it had a lot of potential that it never really delivered on.  The movie has two parts, the interview between Herman Melville and a survivor of the Essex and then reenactment of the events around the Essex. The films is beautiful, the visual effects are stunning and well done.  However, I didn't feel like the 3D was used to great effect, I didn't feel like it improved the film. 

The film was well acted, well directed, well rendered, but the screenplay let it down.  At the end of the film, I just didn't get the "So what".  It felt like there needed to be more to wrap up the story, but instead it just ended.  There are some very uncomfortable and gruesome events throughout the storyline. While not a bad film, I wouldn't recommend this one as a crowd pleaser or as a must add to your summer watch list. I hope this helps!

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
rich92069

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 10:35:59 am »

wow ... detailed critic!!!

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:06:48 pm »

There was a bit of a dry spell in 3D releases and I decided to pre-order "In the Heart of the Sea" even though I didn't research it very much.  It arrived back a couple of weeks ago, but Saturday was the first opportunity I had to watch it.  Bottom Line, I give it a B-.  I really like Ron Howard as a director, he has given us some classic films this certainly will not be one of them.  The storyline felt like it had a lot of potential that it never really delivered on.  The movie has two parts, the interview between Herman Melville and a survivor of the Essex and then reenactment of the events around the Essex. The films is beautiful, the visual effects are stunning and well done.  However, I didn't feel like the 3D was used to great effect, I didn't feel like it improved the film. 

The film was well acted, well directed, well rendered, but the screenplay let it down.  At the end of the film, I just didn't get the "So what".  It felt like there needed to be more to wrap up the story, but instead it just ended.  There are some very uncomfortable and gruesome events throughout the storyline. While not a bad film, I wouldn't recommend this one as a crowd pleaser or as a must add to your summer watch list. I hope this helps!

Nice Job & Welcome to the site. Please keep them coming. I for one do not like modern films. I won't even see batman Vs superman. I did not like Avatar at all. So I am hard to please.  This movie sound like it could have been good but I would say B- is very good in this day & age
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:30 pm »

Nice Job & Welcome to the site. Please keep them coming. I for one do not like modern films. I won't even see batman Vs superman. I did not like Avatar at all. So I am hard to please.  This movie sound like it could have been good but I would say B- is very good in this day & age

Sadly I think your right on this one.  Modern films just don't seem to be that great.  I would still go to the local drive in when it was still open because I enjoyed the atmosphere so much.  They closed in 2012 and I have not set foot in a movie theater since with one exception.  I took an over night trip to the nearest still operating drive in to see the new starwars movie when it came out.  I figured if it was so big that the this drive in opened up for a few weeks in the middle of winter just to show that movie.  Well one thing I've always wanted to do is see digital projection at a drive in, and now I can say I have.  So that is the one and only movie I have seen since 2012, I miss the drive in, but not so much the movies.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: