Backyard Theater Forum
December 11, 2017, 09:49:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
83 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 09:49:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorial weekend plans  (Read 4547 times)
SR

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2016, 01:06:43 am »

Well we have finally figured out a schedule that will allow me to be at both theatres on all three nights on memorial weekend.  So the Sit & Vue is going to operate it's normal M-day weekend schedule.  The same two movies played Friday and Saturday night.  Sunday night will be a triple feature, all three will be different movies.  Friday the 27th will also be the day that me and Jake put up the BOC screens, so all three will be up for the weekend and the rest of the summer.

Over at the Night-Sky his first night of the season will be Friday the 27th, he will show one movie that night and Saturday night, then he will show both movies as a double feature Sunday night.  That way I can be at the Sit & Vue to help Jake until the first movie starts, then go over the Night-Sky and start and stay for the movie.  Then I can either go home early or go back to the Sit & Vue if needed.  For the rest of the summer we are planning for the Night-Sky will be showing double features both Friday and Saturday as that has been his previous tradition.  Also the solution to the speaker problem at the Night-Sky is broadcasting the sound to a radio that I will have on the fence and use the radio to feed the fence speakers.  It my not be the best solution but it's in his price range (free I had a spare AM transmitter hanging around).

I'm not sure where I'm going to spend most of my summer nights yet.  It has always been the plan that the Sit & Vue would slowly transition to become more run by Jake than me, with me taking more of a background / supporting role.  That's not to say that I want to walk away or retire from BYT, though the equipment is about 50% his and 50% mine it is in his yard and he is the one that wanted to move it when I was ready to give up.  I'm glad I didn't give up by the way, I really like what Jake and I have been able to do with the Sit & Vue, but he can now handle pretty much anything that could happen at the Sit & Vue, so that might allow me to spend more time helping the old guy out at the Night-Sky.  I suppose it will all be determined by how well the first weekend or two at the Night-Sky goes. 

By the way does anyone know of a inexpensive source for movies on VHS?   

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 12:04:36 pm »

You are doing a lot of good for a lot of people my friend. Don't kill yourself....
fastbilly1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:45:30 pm »

Saturday we are putting a new roof on my shed, so Sunday night will be pool and movie.  Probably the A New Hope Silver Screen Edition or a couple episodes of MST3k.  I do not have a new screen yet (it will be a Carls BOC 220inch), despite needing one for the last two years, so it is still only a 144inch 4:3.   The shed roof simply took priority financially, any spare money of it goes to Backyard Theater.  It has been too long since I did one proper.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 01:55:00 pm »

You are doing a lot of good for a lot of people my friend. Don't kill yourself....

Memorial Weekend is going to be quite a bit for me I'm sure.  But after that I think it'll be alright.  Like I was saying earlier Jake really can handle the Sit & Vue so I don't need to be there every night anymore.  It's just that M-weekend is a big weekend and I don't want it to be completely on Jake handle, though he could do it.  We have two volunteers that have said they will help out at either place.  The main thing is that someone has to be at each theater that can operate the equipment, currently that's me or Jake.  I don't really feel comfortable leaving the Night-Sky totally in the hands of a volunteer because of the age and well worn condition of his equipment, at least not until someone shadows me for a bit there and learns stuff like how to unjam a VHS machine in a hurry in the dark.   Smiley Smiley  Unfortunately both  of the folks that have stepped up to help out are not very knowledgeable where it comes to PJs, sound and BYT.  Given the time I can teach them, but right now they can certainly help hand out snacks, and help folks get seated and such.  

Fastbilly, I hear you on the whatever money is left over goes into BYT.  I always seem to have very little left for the BYT but that doesn't make it any less fun.  What are you currently using for a screen?

Yendor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:59:17 pm »

I was thinking about this earlier. What should we do for this coming long weekend. Usually there aren't many friends around for a long weekend, but this year may be different as a lot of our neighbors are getting ready to move and they are sticking around the house for the weekend. So what movie should I show? I'd love to do a longer movie of say Star Wars or Harry Potter, so we'll see. Anyone have any suggestions? PG-13 is typically okay, R or higher is a no no to me for general consumption.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:21:49 pm »

I was thinking about this earlier. What should we do for this coming long weekend. Usually there aren't many friends around for a long weekend, but this year may be different as a lot of our neighbors are getting ready to move and they are sticking around the house for the weekend. So what movie should I show? I'd love to do a longer movie of say Star Wars or Harry Potter, so we'll see. Anyone have any suggestions? PG-13 is typically okay, R or higher is a no no to me for general consumption.

Apollo 13
Yendor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 12:04:20 pm »

Apollo 13
I should have given some guidance. My wife hates history and science movies, sci-fi is next on her hate list. She likes Disney, comedy and love stories. I don't think she has ever seen a full Harry Potter film, even when we went to the theater. She is hard to please, so I usually stick to comedies so at least I like it. She'd put hot charcoal in my shoe if I showed Apollo 13.
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 02:08:37 pm »

Apollo 13

The Air bud movies
I should have given some guidance. My wife hates history and science movies, sci-fi is next on her hate list. She likes Disney, comedy and love stories. I don't think she has ever seen a full Harry Potter film, even when we went to the theater. She is hard to please, so I usually stick to comedies so at least I like it. She'd put hot charcoal in my shoe if I showed Apollo 13.
fastbilly1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 03:06:04 pm »

Apollo 13
Condorman hits all three, but has been out of print for a while and is expensive second hand.  So how about Down with Love?  Its based in a pastiche version of the 50s, but is a solid romantic comedy with Renée Zellweger and Ewan McGregor.  It is PG13 but may be a bit risque for kids who get innuendo.  Have you tried the Despicable Me's?

If you have the ability to run Region 2 discs (or to rip Region 2 and recode them to Region 1) I highly recommend the Asterix and Obelix cartoons (not live action).  Asterix is a French comic about Gauls fighting Romans, which has been adapted to cartoons since the 60s.  The most recent, Land of the Gods, has not be released in English yet, but is by far the best animated film I have seen in a long time (even better than the Lego Movie), but Asterix and the Vikings is fantastic.  The Little Prince is also good, but possibly to slow. 

Have you ever seen Monster Squad?  Its like Goonies but with the Universal Monsters.  It is a pretty ideal lesser known movie full of solid quotes.

Fastbilly, I hear you on the whatever money is left over goes into BYT.  I always seem to have very little left for the BYT but that doesn't make it any less fun.  What are you currently using for a screen?
Hey I only have one, you have three you maintain.  I just put off fixing the shed so long that there is now a skylight, that was not there six months ago.  My current outdoor screen is perfect white muslin over generic black cloth - it was an old stills background that had a tear in it.
Yendor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 03:45:26 pm »

Condorman hits all three, but has been out of print for a while and is expensive second hand.  So how about Down with Love?  Its based in a pastiche version of the 50s, but is a solid romantic comedy with Renée Zellweger and Ewan McGregor.  It is PG13 but may be a bit risque for kids who get innuendo.  Have you tried the Despicable Me's?

If you have the ability to run Region 2 discs (or to rip Region 2 and recode them to Region 1) I highly recommend the Asterix and Obelix cartoons (not live action).  Asterix is a French comic about Gauls fighting Romans, which has been adapted to cartoons since the 60s.  The most recent, Land of the Gods, has not be released in English yet, but is by far the best animated film I have seen in a long time (even better than the Lego Movie), but Asterix and the Vikings is fantastic.  The Little Prince is also good, but possibly to slow. 

Have you ever seen Monster Squad?  Its like Goonies but with the Universal Monsters.  It is a pretty ideal lesser known movie full of solid quotes.

I'll see which of those I can dig up, Condorman may be okay. I watched the Monster Squad on Netflix recently and tried to get her to watch, she didn't even give in 5 minutes. I was not happy as I liked it when it first came out, it was worth watching it though.

Maybe have to do some nerd outs and just let her nap, I have a hard time dealing with the fact that overall she hates movies. I have a fantastic home theater set up and she doesn't allow me to crank that sucker up either. "Wolfman's got nards!"
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 05:27:17 pm »

She'd put hot charcoal in my shoe if I showed Apollo 13...

I have one suggestion... Switch to a gas grill, no hot charcoal to worry about.  Smiley Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: