Backyard Theater Forum
December 17, 2017, 06:07:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
98 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 06:07:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid or Not?  (Read 3847 times)
Towndrunk

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2016, 12:40:18 pm »

This really isn't BYT related, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.  I'm thinking that it will be something new, while my wife tells me how stupid I am for even coming up with the idea.  We just built a house a year ago and at the time I thought my wife may cave to my idea, so I had the electrician run an outlet in the top of the closet behind a shared wall to our living room.  We have a stairway to our basement that has a bare wall, and we have been looking for some "Art" to hang on it for some time.  Everything we find that we like that works in the space, costs $400+.  My idea is to hang a flat screen on the wall, frame it, and then display whatever we want.  Am I being stupid, or does it sound like something reasonable.

This is what it looks like, but this is from the model home and has ceilings that are little higher, but my wall is a little wider.  My home also has canned lights above, not the hanging lights in the picture.
Wall

These are examples of what I would hope it would look like when done. . .
Frame 01
Frame 02
Frame 03
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 02:09:00 pm »

I think it would be super cool for about a month and then you'd likely quit changing it much...if at all. I bought Hue light bulbs about a year ago and hardly ever do anything with them besides on/off anymore so my $70 light bulbs aren't doing anything more than $5 bulbs. Other than a unique conversation piece, I bet you'd be better served by finding "used" art from a quality thrift store or craigslist. I ended up with a $200 print for $35 at my local thrift store and it looks awesome!

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 02:54:54 pm »

i love it but don't let our wives talk LOL....I love things that are unique...So I say go for it. I like to run electricity/plumbing everywhere Grin Grin Grin
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 03:41:22 pm »

Yeah, I have Hue Bulb in my Living Room/Kitchen as well.  I use them a lot with IFTT, and Amazon Echo for voice control.  Not so much to change colors, but I do a lot of dimming for movies and midnight navigation through the house.  It is convenient to say, "Alexa, house lights off" and have all the lights turn off.

I just thought spending a little more money would be better than having a piece of art that I would get tired of probably in the same amount of time.  I could use it for "Game Days" when people are over, a place for the kids to play games instead of taking over the living room television, play slideshows, or just display random pictures that fit the season.  Christmas Trees, Easter Bunny, Fireplace, etc. . .  I agree, the novelty would most likely wear off after a while, and when it does I could easily hang a piece of art and re purpose the television for another room.

I just wasn't sure if it was just me being a man and wanting televisions everywhere in the house, or if it was just a plain stupid idea.
fastbilly1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 09:31:16 am »

Get a chromecast and set it to show random pictures every twenty minutes or so from safe galleries on Picasa.  All of my friend who are big into Internet of Things do this. 

I would be worried about power draw vs enjoyment personally.
Corzak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 11:28:14 am »

http://www.artcast.tv/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: